Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen

3rdnlng

Michelle, seeped in Black History. I wonder if her ancestors had to ride the back of that train?

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2012/09/michelle_obama_to_congressiona.html

"Now, back when our great-grandparents were riding that Underground Railroad, back when John Lewis was marching across that bridge in Selma, and Jim Clyburn was sitting in an Orangeburg jail, the injustices we faced were written in big, bold letters on the face of our laws. And while we may have had our differences over strategy, the battles we needed to fight were very clear."

Edited by 3rdnlng

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. But there were conductors, wagons, horses and routes.

Now, that's a stretch. I can hear that conductor now. "All aboard for the cornwagon to Intercourse, PA". You remind me of a character from "Little Big Man". You know, that contrarian guy.

Now, that's a stretch. I can hear that conductor now. "All aboard for the cornwagon to Intercourse, PA". You remind me of a character from "Little Big Man". You know, that contrarian guy.

It's not a stretch, it's factual. Which is I recommend actually doing some reading on the subject.

Learn something about it. Plenty of primary sources available free on the internet.

The Underground Railroad did use the vocabulary of actual railroads, including "passengers" travelling between "stations" being guided by "conductors".

Learn something about it. Plenty of primary sources available free on the internet.

The Underground Railroad did use the vocabulary of actual railroads, including "passengers" travelling between "stations" being guided by "conductors".

It's easier for him to pretend to know things as opposed to, you know, do a bit of work and actually know things. Especially when the things that reality would force him to actually know run 180 degrees counter to his narrow confirmation biases.

Yes, I'm well aware that they used Railroad terminology. Michelle could have said that her ancestors traveled via of the Underground Railroad and it would have been ok. To say that they traveled "on" the Underground Railroad is ignorant and something Bush (or Romney) would be skewered for. As for you TYTT, get a clue before jumping on what you think is the popular bandwagon.

Yes, I'm well aware that they used Railroad terminology. Michelle could have said that her ancestors traveled via of the Underground Railroad and it would have been ok. To say that they traveled "on" the Underground Railroad is ignorant and something Bush (or Romney) would be skewered for. As for you TYTT, get a clue before jumping on what you think is the popular bandwagon.

To say it's ignorant is ignorant, since that's consistent with the terminology of the Underground Railroad.

Might as well criticize her for calling it the Underground Railroad, since when it was established railroads hadn't even been invented yet.

As for you TYTT, get a clue before jumping on what you think is the popular bandwagon.

If you don't like being slapped around for saying incredibly ignorant things, then don't say incredibly ignorant things; and when you are being slapped around don't blame others for your own short comings. Own your words, victimhood isn't endearing.

Pro tip:

When trying not to appear ignorant, its best not to defend your prior ignorance with more ignorance.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

If you don't like being slapped around for saying incredibly ignorant things, then don't say incredibly ignorant things; and when you are being slapped around don't blame others for your own short comings. Own your words, victimhood isn't endearing.

Pro tip:

When trying not to appear ignorant, its best not to defend your prior ignorance with more ignorance.

Yes, TYTT, double down on your assmudgeonry. Repeat schit often enough and it becomes true, eh? Read what she said. She meant it literally and no amount of your repeated use of the word ignorance bolsters your assinine statements.

Yes, TYTT, double down on your assmudgeonry. Repeat schit often enough and it becomes true, eh? Read what she said. She meant it literally and no amount of your repeated use of the word ignorance bolsters your assinine statements.

Again, go read some primary sources and you'll see "riding" the underground railroad was a fairly common idiom. Proclaiming that the first lady was speaking from ignorance only highlights how little you seem to know about the subject. We're just trying to help you out, 3rd. Go read some of the journal entries. Learn about what these brave men and women went through to find freedom. Read the words they used.

I know this seems like a perfect "gotcha" type flub -- but it isn't. Unless you know nothing about the history of the Underground Railroad and slavery in the Americas.

That was the original plan, but the state wouldn't approve Tubman's construction permits so they had to improvise.

Virginia Beach wanted to run another study to extend the Underground Light Railroad to the Oceanfront :lol:

(My fellow Hampton Rodents will understand the reference)

Edited by /dev/null