Sheppards game

I who has ripped on Shep alot,will say he had his best game ever for the Bills sunday. I will give credit when due. Somebody lit a fire under him. Lets hope he can keep up the level of play from Sunday.

i am there.. i have been very critical of sheppard, but as i watched the game, i felt he was a force, glad i was wrong..

I who has ripped on Shep alot,will say he had his best game ever for the Bills sunday. I will give credit when due. Somebody lit a fire under him. Lets hope he can keep up the level of play from Sunday.

Agreed, in fact I would say the entire LB corps played a very good game on Sunday. Even Moats was very good in pass coverage.

I thought he was very active in the run and pass D, very positive game for him.

That made it that much more remarkable when I read today that he only played 1/3 of the def. snaps. Seems like he made more plays than you could coming off the field that much. Barnett and Gilmore played every defensive snap.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/9/24/3384680/bills-24-browns-14-justin-rogers-bryan-scott

Agreed, in fact I would say the entire LB corps played a very good game on Sunday. Even Moats was very good in pass coverage.

Bangarang, he did look scary in preseason if you recall. Lost even. Jets, eh..

Last two games much improved.

Johnny i would say the same. I cant believe that i also saw Moats in coverage and actually looking the part! The linebackers are are communicating well.

We got something here. Wannstadt is getting settled in a liitle thank goodness.

Kelvin has come a long way in a short time.

Keep an eye on Searcy too.

I thought he was very active in the run and pass D, very positive game for him.

That made it that much more remarkable when I read today that he only played 1/3 of the def. snaps. Seems like he made more plays than you could coming off the field that much. Barnett and Gilmore played every defensive snap.

http://www.buffaloru...ers-bryan-scott

read that too. I felt the same i thought Sheppard played a lot more than that. he did stand out. or i am watching him too close!

You mean not every MLB comes out playing like a veteran Ray Lewis right away?

I mean, it's not like he had to learn the 34 and was a rookie last year, and just returned to his natural position with a year in the nfl under his belt. Clearly he just needed some fire lit?

I mean, it's not like he had to learn the 34 and was a rookie last year, and just returned to his natural position with a year in the nfl under his belt. Clearly he just needed some fire lit?

No Saint, i respectfully have to say, i think he did. I believe a lot of fires have been lit with our rookies second and third year guys.

I am seeing what looks like a "This is the year" kind of coach and player mentality.

No Saint, i respectfully have to say, i think he did. I believe a lot of fires have been lit with our rookies second and third year guys.

I am seeing what looks like a "This is the year" kind of coach and player mentality.

No prob. I won't say it's impossible that he needed a boot in the butt, but he was also a rookie in an all new scheme last year, and has returned to nearly his same role at LSU. You'd expect a jump even sans boot between that and the extra year.

I think the OPs obsession with shep for the last year, totally ignoring his rookie status and new scheme was primarily the purpose of my angle pointing those things out. (And that awful nickname he insisted on using for him for awhile there....)

Edited by NoSaint

To go along with all the other good plays he made on Sunday, Sheppard made an absolutely brilliant play that really shows that he "gets it."

For the doubters, may I present;

Exhibit A:

Cleveland's first drive of the 3rd Q.

Pre-snap, Sheppard creeps up to the line on the LDE's shoulder and shows blitz. As the ball is snapped, Shep instantly recognizes a screen is coming and abandons the blitz and moves right to the TE who is the target on the screen. Drops him for a 5 yard loss to set up a 3rd and very long.

He was probably the first defender to see the screen, and IIRC, if he's not there, there TE had some room to run. Maybe not convert the first down, but make the 3rd down play manageable.

It very well could've been his assignment to show blitz and then play the man or flat zone, but it sure looked to me that he was supposed to blitz, but diagnosed the play so quickly he was able to adjust on the fly and pretty much kill their drive.

Disclaimer: I was already high on him and expect him to be a truly solid MLB for years to come, so I can't say I'm surprised.

Well for me, Sheppard played so epically poorly in the preseason that I was beginning to think he was headed down bust alley.

I'm a bit amazed that he has been able to raise the level of his game as much as he has because he looked completely lost in the preseason… physically overmatched and mentally confused.

I'm trying to remember the last time I saw such a dramatic turnaround in a player in such a short time.

he only looked good by comparison to what we've seen from him in the past. reality he doesn't have the speed or physicality to be a stand out at that position. For Bills D to be elite they'll need someone like a Brian Cushing at that spot, someone who can play sideline to sideline and bury the ball carrier once he makes contact ... not saying an untouchable like Matthews or Willis. Even Poz would have had a chance to fill the need behind the current line

To go along with all the other good plays he made on Sunday, Sheppard made an absolutely brilliant play that really shows that he "gets it."

For the doubters, may I present;

Exhibit A:

Cleveland's first drive of the 3rd Q.

Pre-snap, Sheppard creeps up to the line on the LDE's shoulder and shows blitz. As the ball is snapped, Shep instantly recognizes a screen is coming and abandons the blitz and moves right to the TE who is the target on the screen. Drops him for a 5 yard loss to set up a 3rd and very long.

He was probably the first defender to see the screen, and IIRC, if he's not there, there TE had some room to run. Maybe not convert the first down, but make the 3rd down play manageable.

It very well could've been his assignment to show blitz and then play the man or flat zone, but it sure looked to me that he was supposed to blitz, but diagnosed the play so quickly he was able to adjust on the fly and pretty much kill their drive.

Disclaimer: I was already high on him and expect him to be a truly solid MLB for years to come, so I can't say I'm surprised.

My concerns were inflamed by his preseason.

He is coming around. And he might well be darn good down the road and for a good piece of it.

But he should keep working hard and by mid season he might hit his stride. I am a fan for sure as he looks smarter each game lately

he only looked good by comparison to what we've seen from him in the past. reality he doesn't have the speed or physicality to be a stand out at that position. For Bills D to be elite they'll need someone like a Brian Cushing at that spot, someone who can play sideline to sideline and bury the ball carrier once he makes contact ... not saying an untouchable like Matthews or Willis. Even Poz would have had a chance to fill the need behind the current line

the Poz statement is over the top sir. consider a retract. :thumbdown: