Shuttle Fly Over

CosmicBills

I just happened to flip on the LA Times site and caught the landing at LAX! Very cool! I wish it made it's way over SD. It looks very hazy up in LA. I wonder how many people got to fly along. I hoped they got to eat better than us "regular" folks. I flew AA a few weeks ago and didn't get any edibles. AA is in deep. I recently read that the shuttle fleet has been retired way short of the expected mileage projections. I wonder if that decision was based on safety, money or new directions for NASA.

I just happened to flip on the LA Times site and caught the landing at LAX! Very cool! I wish it made it's way over SD. It looks very hazy up in LA. I wonder how many people got to fly along. I hoped they got to eat better than us "regular" folks. I flew AA a few weeks ago and didn't get any edibles. AA is in deep. I recently read that the shuttle fleet has been retired way short of the expected mileage projections. I wonder if that decision was based on safety, money or new directions for NASA.

None of the above. The reason reason:

http://www.daveware.co.uk/hannah/blog/files/aliens-meme.jpg

Did the Chinese pay for that thrill too?

Seriously, we flew an obsolete Shuttle Aircraft on top of an obsolete, fuel inefficient 747-100, into transcontinental E to W headwinds, so it could go into a museum? There was no critical time component here! It should have been on a railroad flat car pre-paid to the museum, and give the rest of us a break! By the way there was no "green energy" used in this stunt, but I expect well over 150,000 lbs of Jet-A. BIG Carbon Footprint-for those of you that monitor such things.

Seriously, we flew an obsolete Shuttle Aircraft on top of an obsolete, fuel inefficient 747-100, into transcontinental E to W headwinds, so it could go into a museum? There was no critical time component here! It should have been on a railroad flat car pre-paid to the museum, and give the rest of us a break! By the way there was no "green energy" used in this stunt, but I expect well over 150,000 lbs of Jet-A. BIG Carbon Footprint-for those of you that monitor such things.

It would probably have to be disassembled to ride a rail car across country.

Wow...douche much? I'm no fan of 'frivolous spending' but sometimes its just the cool thing to do.

I also heard the pilots are on food stamps. :rolleyes:

It's a little longer than a railroad flat car. And as Gary pointed out, it would need to be disassembled.

I heard they have to cut down tons of trees in LA so they can flatbed it to the museum. Now that pisses me off.

It's a little longer than a railroad flat car. And as Gary pointed out, it would need to be disassembled.

Boeing builds 737 Airframes in Wichita and rails them to Renton WA. on flat cars. They are shipped without the wings, engines, interiors and tail, but the Shuttle is not a large as the new 737's are. As for disassembly, the wings and tail could be easily be removed, crated, and ride along with the rest of the airframe. I say "easily" because it's never going to fly again, so not a big deal.

For those who don't care about the cost, assuming the debt gets repaid somehow, it's not just us, but our children and grand children and beyond who will see the benefite of getting stuck with all the debt.