Is it safe to say our O-line is one of the best in the leage?

Billsrhody

No, they have to do it against the best defensive lines and week in/week out. You can't say anyone is 'one of the best' in week 2. Consistency is the name of the game.

Potential to be? Sure.

Since it's impossible for the Bills to play a good D-line every game, It seems like your criteria for being good will never be met. What they do against crappy lines is just as important as what they do against good ones.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say this - so far the new top 5 including Glenn, plus Hairston as a swingman who will get into games, is pretty awesome. I have never considered how much having a guy like that, who can step in and spell the starter with little drop-off, could affect the well-being and staying power of the starters.

I know it has only been 2 weeks but this is just as much a continuation off of last year.

No sacks allowed after 2 weeks, the league leader in rushing and yards/carry. No matter how "quickly Fitz gets rid of the ball", is it safe to say that this offensive line is one of the top units in the league?

I don't think it's safe to draw any conclusions until the Fat Lady sings in January. Especially not after 2 games.

i think this year is much less in the way of smoke and mirrors. its still early to tell, but i think they are getting there.

Yea, finally replaced Jason Peters with someone better :D

Right side is still somewhat questionable, they have the size thats for certain! Now we just gotta see how they do in the 3rd and short power blocks and the pass block longer then 3 seconds

I think the OL is finally good. enough that if the Fitz of the last half of last year and the first game this year continues to show up, or even if Fitz simply does all right / not bad.... We could finally be in a position to draft a QB high and not get 'im killed and turned into a gunshy kitty.

Don't get me wrong --- I want Fitz to be the guy. But we can't let the window close while waiting for him to become a QB who can make all the throws. Seriously, if he physically can't Throw a 20-yard spiral with any degree of accuracy, then what the hell are we doing?!!

Since it's impossible for the Bills to play a good D-line every game, It seems like your criteria for being good will never be met. What they do against crappy lines is just as important as what they do against good ones.

I can only assume you're intentionally misunderstanding standard sentence structure so you have a straw-man to knock down.

It was clearly stated that they must perform against the best defensive lines and perform every week. That would naturally imply they would have to perform against whatever line they are playing against, good, bad or otherwise.

The best? I don't know. We still aren't phenomenal at power running. When you watch the game against the Chiefs, most Spiller runs came out of the spread.

But there still is something to be said for our rushing strategy (as long as Fitz can make them pay by calling an audible if they keep 8 men in the box) and our pass protection looks good. We've allowed ZERO sacks, and are tied for second in number of QB hits.

I think playing Houston and San Fran will tell us exactly how good we are.

I can only assume you're intentionally misunderstanding standard sentence structure so you have a straw-man to knock down.

It was clearly stated that they must perform against the best defensive lines and perform every week. That would naturally imply they would have to perform against whatever line they are playing against, good, bad or otherwise.

Well for the most part we can count last year as well. Fewest sacks allowed and 4th highest rushing average. Doesnt that mean anything?

I think the line is very well coached. It finally seems like we have a blocking scheme that works.

And for everyone who is saying that they are not the best. I'm not saying they are the best in the league, just one of the best.

I think it is a little early to proclaim they are the best in the league. Firstly, I don't know enough about all the other teams' lines. Secondly, as you noted, it is only week 2. Thirdly, Cordy Glenn is a rookie and we have only seen 2 regular season games out of him. Are all things looking great thus far? Absolutely. But I am going to hold off that they are the number one O-Line in the league for a number of more weeks.

The Oline needs a nickname.

The "Buffal-O-Line" Brutals

IMO, the key to a great oline is staying together for years. This is still a very young group overall. I'd love to see them lock up the entire group and a few key backups for the next 5 years. Then, we'd really be talking about an elite unit.

I think Fitz gets too much blame at times, but still we do need to think about a future replacement. But given the oline, some of the skill players, and hopefully, a defense that continues to improve, a young QB will be stepping into a very good situation.