My Jerry McGuire "Mission Statement" re. The Bills

BringBackFergy

Why do we follow an NFL football team and allow the outcome of a game to affect our day to day outlook on life? To say that the Buffalo Bills are just a collection of athletes who have no bearing on my life is simplistic and naive. The fact that we buy season tickets, shirts/jerseys, hats, spend hours on a website giving comments, reading newspapers and a team website, not to mention driving five hours to home games and five hours back would be looked at as excessive, idiotic, and a waste of time in many cultures (do Europeans spend 200+ pages on a soccer site talking about their latest free agent acquisition?). But in the end, after the team compiles an average to below average season record of 7-9 or, with some divine intervention may I say 8-8, we trudge back to this site, back to our papers and websites to follow the offseason exploits of not only our team but other teams in our division. It is comical what we put ourselves through for nothing more than a collection of men during a 60 minute competition with one goal in mind: to move a 12" oval ball 100 yards down a field to score 6 pts. But in the case of Buffalo Bills FANS, we are a different breed. We are the Napolean Dynamites of the NFL fanbase. We are looked down upon by most media and big city fans, we are scorned for spending too much on a free agent and then laughed at for opening our wallets on a man who has registered one tackle. Buffalo Bills FANS are seen as obnoxious at times but never uninformed. We are dedicated and loyal, easily agitated when our team is criticized and knowledgeable as it relates to football theory. But why go through the trauma of watching Kay Stephenson, Nick Mickamayer, Vince Ferragamo, Hank Bullough, Todd Collins, JP, and the turnstile collection of rejects who have graced our astroturf for years?? Because we tasted success for four straight years and we want to return to the promised land of media hype, strangers from far away lands who say "you're a Bills fan...I love those guys", holding our heads high, listening to radio shows and other national media show love for our team. It is not so much praise for ourselves, but recognition for our City (even if we moved away years ago), praise for our outlook and dedication to a team that has bounced from last to first, and a feeling that our status has been raised based solely on the performance of men we have never met (except in passing at a bar or restaurant). We all want to feel successful. Deep down, success instills confidence in our day to day outlook on life. When "OUR" team wins, we feel successful; this, in turn, translates into a more positive approach to our work week and interaction with others. When we lose, we feel rejected, question our dedication to the team and approach our work and others with varying degrees of skepticism. In the end, though, as hard as you try to reject the premise that you can stop following this team or go "cold turkey", the fact that OUR team can and will succeed at some point is still clearly ingrained in our mindset...that some day, at some point, we will win the Superbowl. When that happens, we will be on top of the world and we will have achieved the success (vicariously through these 53 men) that we have dreamed of for 40+ years.

Editorial: God I love the NFL and the Bills.

Mr. BringBackFergy, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Mr. BringBackFergy, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

"A simple wrong would have sufficed but yeah know..."

LOL

Great quote

CBF

Edited by Canadian_Bills_Fan

LOL - You had me at Hello

Boy am I glad that I read the second post in this thread before I read the first..