Romney's ridiculous comments on 47% of Americans

fjl2nd

Well it seems like he did raise the money so his comments helped. I have no doubt you would have phrase it differentlly. But it's his fund raiser , his party, his base and even took place at another pE fund managers house so it's his business community. I would think he knows how to speak their language better than you.

Again the comment has Merit: it's been confirmed that 46% of households dont pay taxes (which I find shocking ). The context was being asked election strategy from potential donors who need to know. He gave them insight he doesn't think making a tax cut case to people who aren't paying income taxes will have much value. Makes sense to me. So he's going after the middle ground undecided tax paxpayers to try and make up the 5-10% voter pickup he needs. I see no controversy here. None nada zero

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I either way I think this could hurt pretty bad b/c I think Obama Co. will come hard and probably a superPAC will put this on an ad that runs in swing states and try to make people see that...I could be wrong though but we'll see if it's a fleeing MSNBC thing or not. To me the real damning part is the tone. Mitt's a pretty buttoned up guy, nice and polite (even the most crazy liberal must admit it is true despite not liking the message) ...also a bit robotic (or defensive to put it more politely can't fault him for it)...so if they plaster this all over this will be the most casual anyone has heard him speak...and he's basically calling Obama supporters people who don't take responsibility for their own lives, and saying he isn't even trying w/ them. Sort of bad b/c it reinforces Obama's attempt to paint him in a certain light, but also b/c it may come off like "the real Mitt" to some since he's so conservative in his tone/remarks usually and this was a lot more "normal" sounding.

Not sure if I really put it well there hehe...but there's something to the overall way this comes off that could be bad for Mitt in particular. If it were Christie or someone a bit more "casual" and less PC in his delivery in public it would be different...but IDK about this...

Edited by TheNewBills

Question at this point is threefold for anything :

- how will it play to your base (will it inspire greater turnout)?

- how will it play to the opponents base?

- how will it effect undecideds?

I'd reckon it helps with his base but have no idea how all 3 net out.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Question at this point is threefold for anything :

- how will it play to your base (will it inspire greater turnout)?

- how will it play to the opponents base?

- how will it effect undecideds?

I'd reckon it helps with his base but have no idea how all 3 net out.

Look I get it...I get the attitude and bravado that has become associated with parts of the GOP...but this shouldn't play well with either party's "base" c'mon now. This is what I'm talking about more than anything else when I talk about the GOP's problems...this doesn't play well period.

Edited by TheNewBills

Romney needs to embrace what he said, not run from it in fear of the completely fake and transparent outrage of the msnbc crowd. The Obama crowd are clearly afraid Obama's going to lose the election (which he will) and they're pulling out all of the stops. Last week it was the over-the-top overreaction to Romney's comments on the US embassy apologizing for free speech. This week it's Romney saying something that's pretty much true and something every likely voter knows.

Romney wins this argument because I'm sure there's a significant percentage of struggling Obama supporters who pay a ton in taxes, are still struggling, and who have grown sick and tired of supporting the 47%. Not the ones who are there temporarily, but the ones who are there permanently and have no intention of trying to find a job.

Romney needs to embrace what he said, not run from it in fear of the completely fake and transparent outrage of the msnbc crowd. The Obama crowd are clearly afraid Obama's going to lose the election (which he will) and they're pulling out all of the stops. Last week it was the over-the-top overreaction to Romney's comments on the US embassy apologizing for free speech. This week it's Romney saying something that's pretty much true and something every likely voter knows.

Romney wins this argument because I'm sure there's a significant percentage of struggling Obama supporters who pay a ton in taxes, are still struggling, and who have grown sick and tired of supporting the 47%. Not the ones who are there temporarily, but the ones who are there permanently and have no intention of trying to find a job.

This post is everything bad about the Romeny comment. Now, there are people saying this type of stuff.

@TNB I disagree there. I've spent plenty of time emersed with people in his base and I'm confident they'll eat that stuff up. They'll interpret as calling out people on entitlement as lazy, something they themselves do all the time. And applaud what they perceive as Romney standing up to them and not being bullied. This is part of O'Reilly appeal, for example.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

@TNB I disagree there. I've spent plenty of time emersed with people in his base and I'm confident they'll eat that stuff up. They'll interpret as calling out people on entitlement as lazy, something they themselves do all the time. And applaud what they perceive as Romney standing up to them and not being bullied. This is part of O'Reilly appeal, for example.

What I'm saying is not that it won't play well with a "certain base" but that it shouldn't play well with the "actual base" of one of 2 major political parties...and it reflects the dysfunction in the GOP

This post is everything bad about the Romeny comment. Now, there are people saying this type of stuff.

What, the truth? How dare he!...LOL

Dude, it's a fact that almost every likely voter knows that 47% don't pay taxes. This feigned outrage is hilarious. I don't know about you, but I get the feeling that a huge portion of working people who do pay taxes are fed up with carrying the 47%.

Dude, it's a fact that almost every likely voter knows that 47% don't pay taxes. This feigned outrage is hilarious. I don't know about you, but I get the feeling that a huge portion of working people who do pay taxes are fed up with carrying the 47%.

This half of America that is dependent upon the government, believe they are victims...who vote for Obama no matter what...

...this is on the air coming out of a presidential candidates mouth...and you are saying double down...

Edited by TheNewBills

Wow, this is bad.

Every single one of us has probably depended on the government at some point. The 47% of people is not constant people. They are people a lot of times that are not where they want to be yet. There working to make a better life for themselves.

I bet most of us have been apart of this evil 47% at some point in the past. And if you haven't, congratulations you did on your own!

The problem with your assinine statement, is that you and the rest of the statists think that by driving on a road or calling 911, we are somehow "dependent on the government."

Of those 47 of "freeloaders" according to you, 61% of them paid Federal payroll taxes.

Check out this article. Just shows Romney's comments are just bad politically, but just wrong overall. http://www.washingto...why-it-matters/

For what it’s worth, this division of “makers” and “takers” isn’t true. Among the Americans who paid no federal income taxes in 2011, 61 percent paid payroll taxes — which means they have jobs and, when you account for both sides of the payroll tax, they paid 15.3 percent of their income in taxes, which is higher than the 13.9 percent that Romney paid. Another 22 percent were elderly.

So 83 percent of those not paying federal income taxes are either working and paying payroll taxes or they’re elderly and Romney is promising to protect their benefits because they’ve earned them. The remainder, by and large, aren’t paying federal income or payroll taxes because they’re unemployed. But that’s a small fraction of the country.

The problem with your assinine statement, is that you and the rest of the statists think that by driving on a road or calling 911, we are somehow "dependent on the government."

No, that is not what I said or even implied.

Edited by fjl2nd

Wow, this is bad.

Just double down on it hehe.... I mean seriously I would love to play some poker w/ some of the GOP backseat strategy experts. The bad part is there is a portion of the American public who actually buy into this stuff. I mean, it's not the majority (and certainly not even most on this board) but there are people who are thinking right now "Obama sympathizes with the attackers of our embassy" and "half the country are dependent people who think they are victims."

Edited by TheNewBills

Wow, that lacks empathy like no tomorrow... Not that what he said was totally off base, but not everybody that receives help is a calculated sloth taker... There are a lot of poor and struggling who would prefer not to be broke, but for a varsity of reasons they are in that situation....

This won't make him more likable....

And for them Romney's statement should make them vote for him, because if they want out BO isn't going to help them.

47% of Americans who vote for O want welfare and FREE handouts? And that they are dependent on government?

47%? Does that include the Corporate Welfare types?

Look up Waterford Va in loudoun County and tell me that 47% of those people that live in that wealthy community are dependent on governmen!

Last year, 22 percent of people who didn't owe income taxes were elderly people on Social Security, and an additional 17 percent were students, disabled people or the unemployed.

OMG

Myth will say anything

Clueless and out of touch with America

- racists says what?

Romney seems to be referring to the estimated 47 percent of Americans who did not owe federal income taxes in 2011.

----------------

Does he not know that of those 47% of Americans many are WHITE and live in the South?

obviously not.

How ironic for a very wealthy man who doesn't want to pay taxes EITHER

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

This half of America that is dependent upon the government, believe they are victims...who vote for Obama no matter what...

...this is on the air coming out of a presidential candidates mouth...and you are saying double down...

That was the "inartful" part. He was speaking to potential donors, shockers that there was some exaggeration to help win them over. It's a 2 on the "they're gonna put y'all back in chains" meter.

I think the reason this 4 month old video is coming out now is because the Obama administration is desperate not to talk about a successful terror attack on 9/11 which resulted in the deaths of a US ambassador and three other Americans. And their subsequent lie to America that it was a youtube video and not a planned 9/11 terror attack, which was the motivation for these four deaths. How safe do you feel America, when your White House not only refuses to acknowledge a 9/11 terror attack but tries to pull a "CYA" for purely political reasons? This is why we are seeing a stupid, completely made-up Romney video controversy. The WH is surely appreciative your helping them run for cover.

Edited by 1billsfan

-----------

Who builds and maintains roads and bridges? The facilities you stop at o the highways to take care of that call of nature? Who maintains and services the Parks and Recreation areas in your area?

Who pays for the Police and Fire Departments and Emergency Medical Units? Who pays for the court systems and the jails to house criminals?

Who pays for the Military, the FBI, the CIA, the NSA?