Andy Dalton started out hot last year, but...

Dopey

He started out 6-2 last year, but is 3-7 since. I still don't see him as our savior as some suggest strongly on this site if we had drafted him. Thoughts?!?!?

I tried to give a link but couldn't so I copied and pasted from rtsport.com.

"Cincinnati Bengals QB Andy Dalton started off his NFL career by winning six of his first eight games. However, he is 3-7 since, including a loss in the AFC Wild Card game. During the past 10 starts, Dalton has completed just 56.5 percent of his passes for 2,180 yards, eight touchdowns and 10 interceptions. His passer rating during that 10-game span is a rather marginal 71.6."

He started out 6-2 last year, but is 3-7 since. I still don't see him as our savior as some suggest strongly on this site if we had drafted him. Thoughts?!?!?

I tried to give a link but couldn't so I copied and pasted from rtsport.com.

"Cincinnati Bengals QB Andy Dalton started off his NFL career by winning six of his first eight games. However, he is 3-7 since, including a loss in the AFC Wild Card game. During the past 10 starts, Dalton has completed just 56.5 percent of his passes for 2,180 yards, eight touchdowns and 10 interceptions. His passer rating during that 10-game span is a rather marginal 71.6."

Since he was the 35th overall pick, that's more evidence that (if we pick early, God forbid) we should fish for QB early in RD1, and if we don't catch a QB then, just cut bait and take OLB or WR.

Go much lower than pick 18 and it's a disaster. Weeden is tied for the lead in INT's with Vick with 4, and he was picked #22. Matt Schaub, picked #90 in RD3, is the exception.

Top 5 in QBR right now (Source)

-Matt Ryan------2008 (Round: 1 / Pick: 3-

-Mark Sanchez-2009 (Round: 1 / Pick: 5)

-P Manning (1998 (Round: 1 / Pick: 1)

-R Griffin (Round: 1 / Pick: 2)

-J Flacco((Round: 1 / Pick: 18)

BTW, RG3 is 4th in QBR and tied for 2nd in completion percentage.

Andrew Luck has no line in front of him so we'll forgive him for now as he's behind Fitz (1 TD, 3 INT).

Edited by Astrobot

Seems like every QB in the league started out hot last season. At this juncture in his career, Dalton would not be a step up and he never would have challenged for a starting spot if Carson Palmer didn't tell Cincy to pound sand. And he wouldn't have contended for the starting spot here, either.

GO BILLS!!!

Yawn. He is a Bengal. We didn't draft him so who cares?

I know, who would ever come to a football board to talk about players around the league. That might give us too much perspective to form our wild and emotional opinions effectively.

Seems like every QB in the league started out hot last season. At this juncture in his career, Dalton would not be a step up and he never would have challenged for a starting spot if Carson Palmer didn't tell Cincy to pound sand. And he wouldn't have contended for the starting spot here, either.

GO BILLS!!!

Yea - he's really six of one and a half dozen of the other when stacked up with fitz from what I've seen. The two big perks are he's younger and much cheaper. I'd assume fitz would still have the job if we drafted him though, so those don't matter much.

GO BILLS!!!

If he somehow (hypothetically) after last season, he showed up on our roster this spring, he wouldn't have contended for a starting spot? I would imagine if he was on our bench right now, the screams for him to replace Fitz would have been deafening last Monday...

Yea - he's really six of one and a half dozen of the other when stacked up with fitz from what I've seen. The two big perks are he's younger and much cheaper. I'd assume fitz would still have the job if we drafted him though, so those don't matter much.

I can not believe some of the catches Green makes for Dalton

Good to see you both saying this. I thought I was taking crazy pills as it seemed I was the only one to see this.

Even at TCU he reminded me of a Fitz 2.0. For everyone upset that we didnt draft him, I dont think he would have been any type of upgrade over what we already have. And a LOT of his success comes from just putting it up towards wherever Green is.

Since he was the 35th overall pick, that's more evidence that (if we pick early, God forbid) we should fish for QB early in RD1, and if we don't catch a QB then, just cut bait and take OLB or WR.

Go much lower than pick 18 and it's a disaster. Weeden is tied for the lead in INT's with Vick with 4, and he was picked #22. Matt Schaub, picked #90 in RD3, is the exception.

Top 5 in QBR right now (Source)

-Matt Ryan------2008 (Round: 1 / Pick: 3-

-Mark Sanchez-2009 (Round: 1 / Pick: 5)

-P Manning (1998 (Round: 1 / Pick: 1)

-R Griffin (Round: 1 / Pick: 2)

-J Flacco((Round: 1 / Pick: 18)

BTW, RG3 is 4th in QBR and tied for 2nd in completion percentage.

Andrew Luck has no line in front of him so we'll forgive him for now as he's behind Fitz (1 TD, 3 INT).

Apparently, the rule seems to be that a great 2nd round QB emerges once per decade: Brett Favre 1991, Drew Brees 2001, and Andy Dalton was set up for 2011. This low-sample size theory must prevail!

Now I am wondering why we didn't pick Green to be honest.

Because the Bills couldn't stop the run to save their lives and Dareus was and is a beast?

Dareus and KW were doubled almost all game last week, and the Jets got almost nowhere running the ball.

With KW healthy and the two of them finally together it's clear the Bills have at least fixed the single most glaring weakness from the start of the Nix tenure.

Yeah - and now they still need upgrades at QB and WR, and maybe LB, but hey - honestly, that is ALL they need, which is a lot better off than they had been.

I put the lack of pass-rush last week almost entirely on the young CB's playing too far off.

Edited by BobChalmers