Straight Talk: Walmart Cell Plan

/dev/null

There have been a couple recent threads about the new iPaidTooMuchForANewPhone and cell phone plans. So I figured WTH, I'll start my own

A friend of mine has been thinking of switching over the Walmart® Staright Talk plan and they've kind of piqued my curiousity.

Anyone have experice with this carrier?

They're not a carrier, but a reseller. Depending on where you are, you can have one of a few carriers (AT&T & T-Mobile are the ones most are assigned to). They're run by the same company as Tracfone. I have a Tracfone. I've had phones carried by AT&T (very good signal) & T-Mobile (terrible & unreliable). (I live near Albany, NY, so other areas may vary, but the general consensus seems to be T-Mobile sucks.) I'd recommend it if you don't use your phone much. I prolly avg about $12/month, most of which is texting.

p.s. Customer Support is notoriously terrible, too.

Edited by eSJayDee

The network is the thing. Most of the PAYG plans use Sprint which is crap outside of major metro areas. I've been a Verizon customer for years and as much as I hate them, they have the best network by a mile....and they know it.

OR

Bingo. I could switch to some cheaper carrier and I would love it. As soon as I get anywhere in the middle of no where visiting farms, buying cattle and going off the path, which I do often...I would lose service. I am 45 minutes South of Greensboro, hour north of Charlotte, and not really close to anything but I still get 4GLTE because I pay almost $90 for a smart phone with unlimited data.

I've had virgin mobile for 6 months now, and love it. $45 a month for 1200 minutes, unlimited texting, and 2.5 GB data use before its throttled. The network isn't the greatest, but if you spend the majority of your time in a reasonably populated area you'll be alright. It suits me just fine. Speed wise i dont have an issue with it.

I've had virgin mobile for 6 months now, and love it. $45 a month for 1200 minutes, unlimited texting, and 2.5 GB data use before its throttled. The network isn't the greatest, but if you spend the majority of your time in a reasonably populated area you'll be alright. It suits me just fine. Speed wise i dont have an issue with it.

My wife has had Virgin Mobile for a year or two and it works well for her as well. It uses Sprint's network, which is ok in metro areas like you said. She doesn't get very good reception when we're driving through Wisconsin (in the middle of nowhere), but for the price, it's definitely worth it.