Nix trusts Gailey

Homer

Basically all of the money and talent went to the defensive side of the ball. On the O, Nix strengthened the Oline and brought in Spiller. Its true that he spent some middle round picks on WR's and attempted to bring in a FA, so Nix is most certainly aware of needs to the offense. Our talent on the offensive side is still pretty low and I think that Nix understood it takes time to get talent (and not only talent but a cohesive unit) on both sides of the ball. I feel that players like Fitz are stop gap, and that because of his ability to understand the plays, but without overwhelming physical skills, he is still the best available until Nix can upgrade that position and WR. I like that fact that we are actually seeing improvement (despite last weeks debacle) and our expectations are high. I think we have finally become at least middle of the pack and not bottom feeders . So finally the point of this is that Nix must trust Gailey to get the best out his offense without the benefit of better than average talent, which seems to be a hallmark of Gailey led teams. Wonder what Chan could do with a better supporting cast?

Wonder what he could do with a better supporting cast?

No. It was proven in Dallas. He barely made the playoffs with a better cast. He was fired because he couldn't manage his HOF QB situation. Chan passes too damn much. He needs to run more. End of story.

No. It was proven in Dallas. He barely made the playoffs with a better cast. He was fired because he couldn't manage his HOF QB situation. Chan passes too damn much. He needs to run more. End of story.

Thay HOF QB was at the end of his tether at that time. Jerry Jones did say that he made a mistake firing Chan.

And never hired him back when he had numerous chances.

That is speculation 'cuz it cuts both ways (Jerry didn't hire him back/Chan didn't want to go).

Are you clairvoyant?

You would have to ask him, I am not clairvoyant ;)

Ah. Then you don't know whether or not Jerry tried. Just saying.

Edited by Hopeful

That is speculation 'cuz it cuts both ways (Jerry didn't hire him back/Chan didn't want to go).

Are you clairvoyant?

You're kidding right. Jerry Jones has proved that he usually gets what he wants, so it's safe to say if he had wanted Gailey back he'd have him back. If Gailey took the Bills job at the drop of the hat, you bet he would have returned to Dallas if opportunity was there.

Are you clairvoyant?

You are right, I am not. But you don't have to be clairvoyant to realize that when Gailey was out of work, if the Cowboys offered him a job as a HC or OC he most likely would have taken it. Not a big leap there.

But to get back on topic at least a little .... I have little doubt that Nix does indeed trust Gailey. And that it will take a lot for Nix to fire Gailey, at least as much as that decision doesn't come down from above.

Edited by CodeMonkey

He passes too much now, but before he got here, he ran the ball too much in Pittsburgh. I'm surprised he passes as much as he does

I think you might wish to revisit how you define "proof" and the "end of" that story.

The 'boys went from 25th and 22nd on offense the two prev. years, to 9th and 11th on offense under Gailey, back to 23rd and 30th on offense after Gailey left. The 'boys plummeted defensively also, the year after Gailey left and they've been talented "bridesmaids" who have only done better on wins for 2 yrs since.

The HOF QB was 32 and in the twilight of his career when Gailey took over, and coming of a 7 year low for completion % and QB rating the prev. year.

Gailey limited Aikman's throws and used Emmitt Smith more - actually had more rushing attempts than passing attempts Gailey's 1st year and about even his 2nd year, to Aikman's benefit as an older player and Smith had back to back >1300 yd seasons.

Bottom line, it's hard to parse these facts into "Chan passes too damn much. He needs to run more" or firing for "Failure to manage HOF QB".

My verdict: not proven on that evidence, unless you have a very strange standard of proof.

You're kidding right.

No, not kidding. Just making the point that it's all speculation, including yours.

Homer, this is a reasonable post and i personally hope we get to find out.

The team was severely lacking players and coaching years ago. I mean probowlers and depth. We have had mediocrity for years.

I will agree we still have have aways to go but the wide gaps are slowly being filled, chinks in armor are being repaired and we are in it to win again.

You are spot on about Fitz. and we have some more stopgap players to replace. I just hope we can keep a staff together for more than 3 years and get this team back to a level of afc dominance for a couple years.

One thing of note is the fans have had one of the best offseasons in years and excitement levels were through the roof.

still need to see it on the field. My money is on Nix and Gailey.

Thanks for the positive OP !

I think Nix has trusted Gailey....too much. Fitz will be Gailey's downfall IMO.

Fitz does make Chan look bad. But Buddy picks the players, and we have not had a good shot a qb yet. I am sure the Whaley radar is full on in that regard

C'mon. Aikman was nearing the end of his career. The owner actually said firing Gailey was one of his worst mistakes. And this is a passing league. Besides, how many more yards than 169 do you want to see?

All in all, it's not the end of the story.

I always hear about how the team was devoid of talent when Nix got here, and yet Nix stated the team was "not that far away" ! Jauron managed to get three back to back 7-9 years out of almost the exact same players handed to Nix / Gailey

I find it oddly amusing, in a sad as hell kind of way, to think an absolute offensive moron in Dick Jauon with a complete boob for an OC in Turk Schonert managed to win more games with a QB that everyone now considers one of the worst Bills QB's ever in Trent Edwards.

Nix / Gailey took over and made the team worse by going 4-12, same QB's, same players, worse team. New coaches, new scheme. On another note, Jim Harbaugh takes over a bad SF 6-10 team, and turns them into a 13-3 team in a year with a strike shortened off season.

The start of the 2010 season the players looked inept and out of sync, sound familiar?

Run more when it was 21-0 or 41-7?

C'mon. Aikman was nearing the end of his career. The owner actually said firing Gailey was one of his worst mistakes. And this is a passing league. Besides, how many more yards than 169 do you want to see?

All in all, it's not the end of the story.

End of his career or not, Gailey didn't like Aikman at the time as his QB and was fired because he butted heads with him. Your right he was nearing the end but Aikman at the end is better than Fitz any day of the week in his prime.

Jones had all the chances in the world if he wanted Chan back. As another out it, Jones gets what he wants all the time. If he really wanted him back, he would have been back.

Running the ball 168 yards isn't that much when one of the carries breaks out for 80+ yards. I can't say, if you take that away and you only have 80 yards because it is what it is, but it was skewed a little bit.

Run more when it was 21-0 or 41-7?

My point wasn't specifically in last weeks game but in the last few years. Games last year that could have been won with better clock management include:

Bengals

Titans

Dolphins

Jets

Giants

Pats

now it is what it is, we lost and there's no way to prove a win was set in stone if that happened but it was the feeling I got at the time. I can't go back to the year before because I can't remember that far back but Chan has been extremely pass happy IMO. He has a RB that was in the conversation of MVP and a 1st round pick that he just had to have for the importance of his offense yet doesn't use him enough even though his yards per carry has been near the 5+ yard mark.

It's just my opinion. Maybe I was wrong about some things with him being in Dallas. Excuse me for that. I honestly didn't even remember him in Dallas until he was our coach. But he has managed to doubt many people when it comes to his sketchy playcalling at times. Similar to the Juron years, even I can pretty much figure out what play he's calling from the stands or TV and I'm not playing against him or gameplanned for him. That's a problem.

End of his career or not, Gailey didn't like Aikman at the time as his QB and was fired because he butted heads with him. Your right he was nearing the end but Aikman at the end is better than Fitz any day of the week in his prime.

Jones had all the chances in the world if he wanted Chan back. As another out it, Jones gets what he wants all the time. If he really wanted him back, he would have been back.

Running the ball 168 yards isn't that much when one of the carries breaks out for 80+ yards. I can't say, if you take that away and you only have 80 yards because it is what it is, but it was skewed a little bit.

My point wasn't specifically in last weeks game but in the last few years. Games last year that could have been won with better clock management include:

Bengals

Titans

Dolphins

Jets

Giants

Pats

now it is what it is, we lost and there's no way to prove a win was set in stone if that happened but it was the feeling I got at the time. I can't go back to the year before because I can't remember that far back but Chan has been extremely pass happy IMO. He has a RB that was in the conversation of MVP and a 1st round pick that he just had to have for the importance of his offense yet doesn't use him enough even though his yards per carry has been near the 5+ yard mark.

It's just my opinion. Maybe I was wrong about some things with him being in Dallas. Excuse me for that. I honestly didn't even remember him in Dallas until he was our coach. But he has managed to doubt many people when it comes to his sketchy playcalling at times. Similar to the Juron years, even I can pretty much figure out what play he's calling from the stands or TV and I'm not playing against him or gameplanned for him. That's a problem.

I think they should run more also but I just don't like empty backfield in shotgun. Defense knows you're going to pass.

Fear the Beard, you are right that's exactly what Nix said. and that was utter BS.

The sad part of that was Iwanted very badly to believe him

What was he supposed to say? This team sux and it will be years before we get it straightened out?...Brandon would have had a heart attack.