Nix and Chan are not on the same page

I don't know if I'm ready to defend either of these guys. Yet I'm not quite prepared to throw them under the bus either.. Like a lot of people say though, the biggest reflection on Nix when all is said and done, if this team can't get over the hump and become a contender, will be the inability to find a franchise quarterback.

Now, maybe it's a matter of simply waiting for the right guy and having the patience to know they can't blow their future on a bust. There are prospects they've apparently wanted, but couldn't get. It does make sense - why settle, if you're not 100 per cent confident the guy's going to be your man for the next decade?

Until then I guess Fitz fills the gap. But I highly doubt these guys sat down and decided that Ryan Fitzpatrick is the answer at quarterback and can carry them to the Super Bowl. I think they merely felt he was the best option until the right guy falls into their lap.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fitz is what he is, a point guard in basketball. The problem with Buddy is to much loyalty to one Quarterback. He won't even let another QB compete for the starting job. In the end it could mean a one way ticket out of Buffalo and rightfully so. The problem is obvious

This is a spread type league now. The rules changes have made it a passing league. I'm not saying that run oriented offenses can't work. But in the modern NFL, it is mostly pass first. Chan has it right there. He doesn't have the players to execute it. That is the problem. Maybe he should modify that spread for a bit until Nix can get him a better QB and better WRs.

I've read in many places - people who visit the offseason program, local reporters - that Nix and Gailey and the whole organization is on the same page, finally. However, I've wondered about the offense for a few years now. It seems like Nix is a really old-school NFL man. He values size, strength, and speed. Physical freaks and giants. It's no wonder that our team is a big team now. We can match up, size wise, with anyone, and should be able to play physically with anyone. I, for one, remember a string of years with Jauron and before that, even, when this team was too small, and just was outmatched on a regular basis.

All of this in regards to Nix would lead me to believe he would prefer an old school offense, one like San Fran's, that lets the run open the pass, and that really stresses fundamentals. But, then you look at Gailey's offense, and he is the modernist, cutting edge play caller who all but abandons the run in many games. His best players would fit nicely into a run-first type offense. Yet... Not only do I wonder about the play calling, but I'm curious about the total lack of investment in the offense. That, to me, anyway, suggests Gailey could still be afforded a few years, if only because he hasn't really seen an influx of talent at QB or WR. It's as if Nix has said, I'm gonna spend two years fixing this defense, and you just make the most of what you've got over there on offense.

It's no coincidence San Fran went out this offseason and got some WR upgrades. Even if we were to emulate such a team, we'd be lucky to resemble them at last year's production - and our defense isn't even close to theirs. We are, in any model, it seems, still a few years away.

I agree we have a couple more players to acquire, especially on offense. If I remember correctly, Chan has not had great offensive talent to work with, I think Aikman was probably the best qb. I think Buddy's goal is to have established starters and young talented players learning as backups. I believe he thinks he is there on defense (maybe one FS), but not on offense. With the attempted Meachum pickup wr can be looked at as well as qb. Buddy has said he'd like to draft one every year, and while it is the most important position, I agree with what he's doing in the sense that he needed to rebuild this roster first to get a baseline of talent and then add a top qb to the mix. It will allow the qb to develop faster and be more effective. I know a lot of people are okay with our oline, but I don't think it's there yet. I think they are good enough run a three step offense, but not good enough to go betond that. I think the right side needs some help, but we'll see what they do the rest of the year.

As far as buddy and chan being on the same page, I will say this. I believe if they were not, you would have seen a big bruising tailback taken in a later round by now. I think Buddy is smart enough to know he needs to get the players that Chan needs to make his offense go, not what he thinks is needed because he is not coaching. Once Buddy thinks he has given Chan enough talent to win and Chan doesn't, Chan will be gone. I think that's going to be at least one more olineman and a wr. Depending on how Fitz plays, it could also be an early round qb. Depends on how long Buddy/Chan are going to stick with Fitz, and I think that will depend how how much improvement there is this year, if any.

You guys are delusional. If Alex Smith is as good as Nix says, why was Harbaugh deep into the Manning sweepstakes?

As the years go on Nix and Gailey are showing their amateur status. Just because both sound like stereotypes of good ol football men from Hollywood central casting doesn't mean they are good.

But a change now would be ridiculous. You cannot scrap things again. If Harbaugh, Shanahan, Cowher summarily turned the team down, despite borderline embarrassing overtures to hire them three years ago, what makes people think that the job will be better now to entice a good coach?

Our hope is that Nix steps aside after this year, Whaley takes over and forgets everything he's learned over the last three years and remembers everything he's heard before that.

Edited by GG

I like Chan...I really do...

But I don't agree with his philosophy based on the talent he has...

On one hand you have a journeyman QB who, despite being VERY intelligent, is very obviously limited as a passer...

On the other hand you have a Top 100 NFL Player at RB who is a workhorse-type. And even the QB admits he's the heart and soul of the Team...Plus you have the #8 overall Pick a couple years ago in a RB who can take it to the house most any time he carries the ball...You have a pretty decent FB...A couple big TE's that can block...And a decent O-Line that can open up some nice holes...

So of course any smart NFL HC would go with a Spread Offense and put the entire show in the hands of the QB with a career Passer rating of 74.8, and career record of 18-34 as a Starter right?...Right?

Exactly... B-)

I agree if I'm keeping one its nix. He's done everything that boob chan asked and it's a disaster. We've actually digressed from jauron. I believe nix has the savvy needed to be a GM , massage the owner into spending money , and provide support to the head coach. Now it's time to find the better coach. Mid season change works fine if it becomes more clear this years a write off.

If we had a hard time getting Gailey to come to Buffalo three seasons ago, how are we supposed to get another coach to come here with a soon to be 94 year old owner and only one more guaranteed season of the team staying in Buffalo.

Extend Gailey another year, draft a Franchise QB in the first round and see what Chan can do with a QB with better physical tools.

If we had a hard time getting Gailey to come to Buffalo three seasons ago, how are we supposed to get another coach to come here with a soon to be 94 year old owner and only one more guaranteed season of the team staying in Buffalo.

Extend Gailey another year, draft a Franchise QB in the first round and see what Chan can do with a QB with better physical tools.

Hard time getting Chan to come here ? That desperate boob would have crawled here from Georgia for the job. Geesh @ some of the crap tossed out here .....

After a 7-5 2007 regular season and losing for the sixth straight year to the Georgia Bulldogs football team, it was announced on November 26, 2007 that Gailey had been dismissed and his $1 million/year contract bought out.[15][16][17][18]

Back to the NFL (2008)

Gailey was hired on January 16, 2008 to become the offensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs. Gailey inherited a Chiefs offense that ranked at the bottom of the league in almost every category the previous season.[19] He was demoted after three pre-season games in 2009 and relieved of play-calling duties by head coach Todd Haley.[20] Gailey was out of football in 2009.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I agree that Buddy and Chan may not be on the same page. I don't think either that they are tied at the hip. Hard to see Buddy extending Chan at year end if the team has not shown significant improvement.

I think that Chan has had a big influence, for better or for worse, in personnel decisions. Spiller was his waterbug. Brad Smith was his decision IMO. I think Buddy brought VY in. Chan never wanted him. I believe it was Chan who sold Fitz to Buddy and Ralph Wilson after 4 games last year, thinking, wrongly IMO, that he had found the guy to run his O.

Buddy has given Chan a lot of rope and unfortunately Chan has put that rope around his own neck.

Personally, I sort of like Chan's offense. The main problem is that he has tied himself to a QB who does not have all of the skills needed to properly execute it. Ultimately this is the fatal error in the plan that threatens to bring Chan down. It's sort of a shame actually.

I like Chan...I really do...

But I don't agree with his philosophy based on the talent he has...

On one hand you have a journeyman QB who, despite being VERY intelligent, is very obviously limited as a passer...

On the other hand you have a Top 100 NFL Player at RB who is a workhorse-type. And even the QB admits he's the heart and soul of the Team...Plus you have the #8 overall Pick a couple years ago in a RB who can take it to the house most any time he carries the ball...You have a pretty decent FB...A couple big TE's that can block...And a decent O-Line that can open up some nice holes...

So of course any smart NFL HC would go with a Spread Offense and put the entire show in the hands of the QB with a career Passer rating of 74.8, and career record of 18-34 as a Starter right?...Right?

Exactly... B-)

The problem is that Bills have nobody to stretch the field, so defenses will stack the box again. Didn't we see this movie before? We know how that will end. Bottom line Chix' tenure will be determined by their QB choice.

Players need a coach that has an extreme competitive edge. You cite Harbaugh. What is the difference between Harbaugh and Chan? One is extremetly intense, the other? Well, does he have a pulse? Does he get excited? Does he show passion? Does he incite passion among his players? You be the judge. But, when I look at this team, I see no fire, no heart, no passion, no sense of urgency. And, I don't see a willingness on the part of ownership to hire a coach of that genre..

I think you have a point there. Plus, with a couple of exceptions (Metzelaars and Lee), the position coaches are largely GT cronies of Chan with minimal NFL experience.

As far as the willingness to hire, I think a case can be made that when Chan took the job not many coaching "stars" were interested.

And then there are stars and stars. Who do you want? Shanahan? Martz? Fisher?

Are you talking about Chan? Or Tony Dungy as all the comments you're stating CG lacks so does Tony Dungy, Likely if I thought some more for every intense coach you can come up with there's one on the other end who's very laid back, like say a Marv Levy. I'd even argue that Bill Belichick is laid back, kind of a different style, but not all that intense on the sidelines. There always have been and always will be both styles and both do work, just depends on the players and mainly the talent.

Players need a coach that has an extreme competitive edge. You cite Harbaugh. What is the difference between Harbaugh and Chan? One is extremetly intense, the other? Well, does he have a pulse? Does he get excited? Does he show passion? Does he incite passion among his players? You be the judge. But, when I look at this team, I see no fire, no heart, no passion, no sense of urgency. And, I don't see a willingness on the part of ownership to hire a coach of that genre..

The problem is that Bills have nobody to stretch the field, so defenses will stack the box again. Didn't we see this movie before? We know how that will end. Bottom line Chix' tenure will be determined by their QB choice.

I agree we have no one to stretch the field (assuming TJ does not shine early)...But even if we did, do we have anyone that can get them the ball consistently and accurately? B-)

Hard time getting Chan to come here ? That desperate boob would have crawled here from Georgia for the job. Geesh @ some of the crap tossed out here .....

After a 7-5 2007 regular season and losing for the sixth straight year to the Georgia Bulldogs football team, it was announced on November 26, 2007 that Gailey had been dismissed and his $1 million/year contract bought out.[15][16][17][18]

Back to the NFL (2008)

Gailey was hired on January 16, 2008 to become the offensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs. Gailey inherited a Chiefs offense that ranked at the bottom of the league in almost every category the previous season.[19] He was demoted after three pre-season games in 2009 and relieved of play-calling duties by head coach Todd Haley.[20] Gailey was out of football in 2009.

We fans gotta remember what was available to Buddy Nix in terms of coaches. I think at first Nix had Marty Schottenhiemer in mind as his HC and the owner stated he didn't feel "comfortable" with Marty. Then Bill Cowher turned him down, as did Mike Shanahan. Many NFL assistant coaches like Jets OC Brian Schottenheimer / Ron Rivera SD OC even turned him down for an interview. I think Nix was getting pretty desperate when he hired Gailey.

It still remains to be seen what Gailey does in the next 7 games, should the team fall on its face ...then I think Nix might make a change. if Nix was able to get 100 Million out of RW, he should have used that money to lure Bill Cowher to the Bills sideline.

Its too darn bad that Buddy can't get RW to change his mind on Marty S. He was the one guy with the proper experience that actually wanted the Bills HCing job "BADLY"

I agree we have no one to stretch the field (assuming TJ does not shine early)...But even if we did, do we have anyone that can get them the ball consistently and accurately? B-)

Hence we're stuck in an infinite loop.

don´t think any " big-name " coach will come over. and gruden isn´t even that big a name. more a nickname.

we better find the next mike tomlin

This. We need someone young and hungry.

This.

Exactly on target. This is a qb driven league and fitz is not getting it done

This. Why do our game plans centre around an almost mediocre QB and a less than talented WR corps? Denver changed their entire offensive philosophy to cater to Tebow's lack of passing acumen, while this year it is fast paced because they have Peyton. We have the potential to have a great running game. Use it and play action off of it.

I remember when Chan or Buddy was hired there was a comment about getting back to smash mouth type of ball. Maybe not exactly worded that way but it was understood by many that we would be running the ball much more. That may be the case when Freddy was in there last year but other than that, it hasn't showed IMO. Not sure who said it, Chan or Buddy, but it's been a blatant lie. I want that wrong fixed.

It's funny because it seems we hear that lie by every coach and GM that comes through here. It seems like I heard it from Donahoe, Juron, Mularkey, Williams, Levy, and Buddy or Chan. I don't get what's so hard about that philosophy. Pittsburgh used it and won 2 SBs. The Giants were probably closer to run first type of ball in thier first SB. Other teams in the past are the Ravens, and Bucs. It's funny that since The Pats got to more of a pass happy offense and Brady has gotten MUCH better than in the beginning of his career they haven't won a SB. But they won 3 in 4 years when they were more balanced. Sure there were the Saints, Colts, and Packers. The Packers also had a great defense and let's not forget that the Saints defense was also key in thier win over Manning and the Colts. It was a very high powered offensive game and the least mistakes was the only thing that was going to come out on top in that one.

I'm not going to get into the whole, what's more important the Franchise QB vs the run game, the Franchise QB vs the defense type of debate. IMO opinion the SB can be won without one. IF.... The game is played right. The Ravens and Bucs are proof of that and as I said before, since Brady has gotten better they haven't won 1 in 2 tries. Ben and the Steelers won 2 but that was when Ben was new and simply managing the game. Eli wasn't exactly the nest QB in the league during thier first SB either. To me, it seems like when QBs get better and have more run of the offense, they throw more and actually drop in the win column. Clock management is what wins games IMO. Protect the ball when you have it and keep it as long as you can. Get it back when you don't. We lost 4 SBs to teams with inferior QB play to ours. Clock management and a strong running game prevailed (except that 1st Dallas SB, that was just a trainwreck).

I said it earlier and often since. If Chan can get over his pass happy ego we will win. My guess, 10-6 or 11-5 with the running backs we have (er....had). But if he keeps that ball in Fitz' hands and allows him to make descisions that hurt us, we will be lucky to be at 7-9 again.

It's your call Chan. Can you get over yourself and lead us to the playoffs??? I'm overly pessimistic about it. Prove me wrong.

I don't know that you can win the SB with a mediocre QB regardless of how smash mouth your running attack is in today's NFL, but I agree that with Fitz, we are guaranteed not to win if we keep using the spread. I'm with you....let's start pounding the ball, reducing crippling INT's and keep our defense off the field.

This is a spread type league now. The rules changes have made it a passing league. I'm not saying that run oriented offenses can't work. But in the modern NFL, it is mostly pass first. Chan has it right there. He doesn't have the players to execute it. That is the problem. Maybe he should modify that spread for a bit until Nix can get him a better QB and better WRs.

This. Areas of weakness on offense: QB and WR. Featured in the spread: QB and WR. Not an equation for success.

we dont have the receivers and we dont have a QB that can be consistent. I am not sure that is Chan's doing. PTR is right.

But lets not live in the past and call for heads this early. I know iknow last year the wheels fell off. But i will still blame that on injuries to key players.

Even though we lost poorly last week Spiller played his tail off. Maybe we are ready to get the running game going with a healthy amd nearly complete O line with the depth we wished we had last year.

Maybe he should modify that spread for a bit until Nix can get him a better QB and better WRs.

This ^^^ times 1000...That's all I'm asking...

And one more thing...

Please can Nix and Gailey stop bullspitting us with this ridiculous propaganda that Fitz is some kind of elite NFL QB...I mean...I understand they have to back the guy...But Buddy's interview on WGR the other day was laughable...Does he think all Bills Fans are blind? Buddy said..."(Fitz) He's not going to struggle, he's not going to turn the ball over..." Really Buddy?...A 72 QB rating and 23 INT's in the past 14 Games...And you're making these promises? Okey doke...BTW Buddy...You're in luck!!! We all were born yesterday!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by KOKBILLS