Buffalo's other football team on national TV Wed 9/19

PromoTheRobot

UB hosts Kent State in their conference opener at 7pm. The game will be on ESPNU. Why not take a break from all the Bills angst and watch some local college ball on TV or live at UB Stadium? Tickets are cheap, parking is free and tailgating is allowed. I like to park along Lake LaSalle. UB has 2 players who are on pro scouts radar: RB Brandon "Bo" Oliver and LB Khalil Mack.

PTR

It will be interesting to see where they stand in this game. Huge underdogs in week #1, Loss....Huge favorites in week #2, Win....pretty even matchup with Kent State in week #3 at home. Hopefully a good student and local turnout. Go Bulls!

There are four decent teams in the MAC(Bowling Green, Toledo, Northern Illinois, Western Michigan) & one good team(Ohio). The rest of the conference stinks including UB & Kent. With that being said if it is a nice night out I think I will take my son to the game. I always enjoy taking him to the UB games & he loves it. Thanks for the heads up.

UB hosts Kent State in their conference opener at 7pm. The game will be on ESPNU. Why not take a break from all the Bills angst and watch some local college ball on TV or live at UB Stadium? Tickets are cheap, parking is free and tailgating is allowed. I like to park along Lake LaSalle. UB has 2 players who are on pro scouts radar: RB Brandon "Bo" Oliver and LB Khalil Mack.

PTR

You seem to be knowledgeable about UB football. Under their HC Quinn have they stepped up their level of recruiting? This program has been in the doldrums for far too long. It seems that a number of MAC teams have elevated their programs to the point where they are consistently good, at least at the mid-tier level. Can UB get there? It gets so tiresome to see college athletic programs such as Canisius BB be so bad for more than a generation while comparable schools such as Niagra and Bonnaventure can periodically be good.

You seem to be knowledgeable about UB football. Under their HC Quinn have they stepped up their level of recruiting? This program has been in the doldrums for far too long. It seems that a number of MAC teams have elevated their programs to the point where they are consistently good, at least at the mid-tier level. Can UB get there? It gets so tiresome to see college athletic programs such as Canisius BB be so bad for more than a generation while comparable schools such as Niagra and Bonnaventure can periodically be good.

I was very critical of Quinn as a coach. His record the last two years is all of 5 wins. But this year's team looks ready to break through. Junior Alex Zordich at QB is solid and Brandon Oliver will likely break all of James Starks UB rushing records. While Turner Gill had Texas connections for players, Quinn is mining SEC territory (FL, SC, GA) and Ohio for recruits. At least from a Scout.com ratings standpoint his classes have been UB's highest. Quinn has a team made up of his players now.

UB starts the MAC portion of their schedule this week vs Kent State, followed by a road game at UCONN (on ESPN3/SNY). This will be a nice mid-week taste of Buffalo football and a chance to see if UB is legit.

(See schedule here.)

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

There are four decent teams in the MAC(Bowling Green, Toledo, Northern Illinois, Western Michigan) & one good team(Ohio). The rest of the conference stinks including UB & Kent. With that being said if it is a nice night out I think I will take my son to the game. I always enjoy taking him to the UB games & he loves it. Thanks for the heads up.

I don't suppose you watched the UB/Georgia game? UB gave the Athens folks a scare until deep into the 3rd quarter, and that was without Mack (1-game suspension). They followed that up by pummeling their next opponent. It appears UB may be on the upward track.

PTR

I will have to DVR it. I will be at Bulls stadium where the best seats are less than the cheap seats at the Ralph.

I don't suppose you watched the UB/Georgia game? UB gave the Athens folks a scare until deep into the 3rd quarter, and that was without Mack (1-game suspension). They followed that up by pummeling their next opponent. It appears UB may be on the upward track.

I actually did watch some of the UB Georgia game. I think that first half was more of a case of Georgia trying some different things & working out some kinks then UB playing a good game. Their next opponent was an FCS team so I wouldn't read too much into that pummeling. As far as Wednesday, Kent St is not very good, UB is at home so they should win. Hopefully they are on the right track. I have my doubts about Quinn.

I was very critical of Quinn as a coach. His record the last two years is all of 5 wins. But this year's team looks ready to break through. Junior Alex Zordich at QB is solid and Brandon Oliver will likely break all of James Starks UB rushing records. While Turner Gill had Texas connections for players, Quinn is mining SEC territory (FL, SC, GA) and Ohio for recruits. At least from a Scout.com ratings standpoint his classes have been UB's highest. Quinn has a team made up of his players now.

UB starts the MAC portion of their schedule this week vs Kent State, followed by a road game at UCONN (on ESPN3/SNY). This will be a nice mid-week taste of Buffalo football and a chance to see if UB is legit.

(See schedule here.)

PTR

Thanks for your response.

It seems that UB is not afraid of adding challenges to their schedule (Georgia, Pittsburgh, Connecticutt). I get so tired of having schools adding powder puff games to their schedule in order to burnish their hollow record.

Will Licata get much of a chance to play this season? One way of advancing a program is retaining some of the local talent.

There are so many big time programs that are so loaded that a lot of quality players don't get much of a chance to play whereas if they went to a school like UB those reserve players with little playing time, if any, could be starters and contributors for a UB type of program.

Will Licata get much of a chance to play this season? One way of advancing a program is retaining some of the local talent.

Licata is the #2 QB and will likely stay there while Zordich starts, though Licata got some mop up duty against Morgan State.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

And they wonder why we don't watch. High school has better quality football and better announcers. This is a boring game that is made even more boring by the "talent" that ESPNU is using for its broadcast.

And I'm not only a UB alum, but a UB alum who was in charge of homecoming twice during the D-III days. I love the school, but they did the sports thing in an incredibly half-assed manner.

This sucks.

EDIT: I'm serious. I watched Canisius (HS not college)-McQuaid a couple of weeks ago, and the announcers--and football--were better. This is a **** show.

Edited by Offsides Number 76

And they wonder why we don't watch. High school has better quality football and better announcers. This is a boring game that is made even more boring by the "talent" that ESPNU is using for its broadcast.

And I'm not only a UB alum, but a UB alum who was in charge of homecoming twice during the D-III days. I love the school, but they did the sports thing in an incredibly half-assed manner.

This sucks.

EDIT: I'm serious. I watched Canisius (HS not college)-McQuaid a couple of weeks ago, and the announcers--and football--were better. This is a **** show.

No kidding. Here I am boosting the team and they take a massive dump on national TV. KSU is barely any better.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

No kidding. Here I am boosting the team and they take a massive dump on national TV. KSU is barely any better.

PTR

Both teams are horrible. This game is a mess. The announcers could make Nik Wallenda's walk seem like a stroll from Macy's to Lord & Taylor in the mall. Even the band is half-assed.

I'm watching for the "train wreck" effect, and because I put off the movie I wanted to watch just long enough that I'm not starting it tonight.

UB doesn't have to do D-I athletics. If it is going to continue, it needs to be more committed. Otherwise, it just should go back to D-III and being a better academic school than it is right now. Reset it to 1980-something.