OBAMA GAFFE: WH CLARIFIES EGYPT NO 'ALLY'

erynthered

Looks like they're walking that Egypt Gaffe back.

http://thecable.fore..._is_not_an_ally

I don't think that we would consider them an ally, but we don't consider them an enemy," Obama said.

Then...

I think folks are reading way too much into this," Vietor said. "'Ally' is a legal term of art. We don't have a mutual defense treaty with Egypt like we do with our NATO allies. But as the president has said, Egypt is longstanding and close partner of the United States, and we have built on that foundation by supporting Egypt's transition to democracy and working with the new government."

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that we would consider them an ally, but we don't consider them an enemy," Obama said.

Then...

I think folks are reading way too much into this," Vietor said. "'Ally' is a legal term of art. We don't have a mutual defense treaty with Egypt like we do with our NATO allies. But as the president has said, Egypt is longstanding and close partner of the United States, and we have built on that foundation by supporting Egypt's transition to democracy and working with the new government."

I am sure the media will be all over this!!!

Then...

But if they are an ally, somebody else made that happen...

I wouldn't consider them an ally either, considering they basically let the embassy get sacked.

Telemundo?? no chance of a translation error?

Obama warns Egypt: Are you ally or enemy?

President Barack Obama says he will decide whether Egypt is an ally or an enemy of the United States in part according to the way the fledgling government in Cairo responds to the violent assault on the American Embassy there, which happened on Monday.

"Certainly in this situation what we're going to expect is that they are responsive to our insistence that our embassy is protected, our personnel is protected," Obama said. "And if they take actions that indicate they're not taking responsibilities, as all other countries do where we have embassies, I think that's going to be a real big problem."

But hey, I know how you guys LOVE to go in guns a blazin

YEEE HAAAA - George W Bush style

Telemundo?? no chance of a translation error?

Obama warns Egypt: Are you ally or enemy?

President Barack Obama says he will decide whether Egypt is an ally or an enemy of the United States in part according to the way the fledgling government in Cairo responds to the violent assault on the American Embassy there, which happened on Monday.

"Certainly in this situation what we're going to expect is that they are responsive to our insistence that our embassy is protected, our personnel is protected," Obama said. "And if they take actions that indicate they're not taking responsibilities, as all other countries do where we have embassies, I think that's going to be a real big problem."

But hey, I know how you guys LOVE to go in guns a blazin

YEEE HAAAA - George W Bush style

Where's your link, or are you making this up like you tend to do?

Before he became U.S. ambassador to Libya, J. Christopher Stevens warned in a 2008 diplomatic cable of jihadist sentiment growing not far from Benghazi.

Stevens, who became ambassador to Libya this year, was killed this week in an attack that U.S. sources tell CNN was planned by a pro-al Qaeda group of extremists.

While it is not definitively clear whether this group, or what group specifically, is behind the attack, it's clear that Stevens expressed concern about a radical movement fomenting in the port city of Derna.

The cable was leaked in the trove that WikiLeaks released in 2010 and 2011, and CNN reported on it last year.

Before he became U.S. ambassador to Libya, J. Christopher Stevens warned in a 2008 diplomatic cable of jihadist sentiment growing not far from Benghazi.

Stevens, who became ambassador to Libya this year, was killed this week in an attack that U.S. sources tell CNN was planned by a pro-al Qaeda group of extremists.

While it is not definitively clear whether this group, or what group specifically, is behind the attack, it's clear that Stevens expressed concern about a radical movement fomenting in the port city of Derna.

The cable was leaked in the trove that WikiLeaks released in 2010 and 2011, and CNN reported on it last year.

Will Michael Moore make a movie about this then?