Congrats Mike Mularkey

Nanker

Believe this the offensive line will definitly get some significant up grading.

I bet TD drafts a CB in the april 05 draft. Mcghee cant cut it at that position.

Josh Reed needs to clean out his locker WHAT A BUST.

The end of the season is always somewhat bitter unless you win the last game of the year.

I think the guys aquitted themselves pretty well though - especially during the last half.

Now let's hope this is a building block that MM and company can go forward from.

The way I see it, MM has returned respectability to the franchise.

I'm VERY thankful for that - even in this moment of disappointment.

Yeah, losing the last game is a bummer. However, it's a lot easier to take when you are 9-7 instead of 6-10. I agree Mularkey got the team on the right track. We just need to go further up the line now.

Congratulations on a successful 9-7 rookie year.

You've made a lot of believers in Western NY.

Here's to many years of even greater success based on this significant start.

Go Bills!

188803[/snapback]

I second that strongly. I think we've got the right coach now.

Eh, im okay with mcgee. I think he is coming on and needs to develop a bit. Should be okay long-term. Still need a corner though, insurance if clements leaves.

Other needs (in no order)

TE (Again....Mularkey was a TE and I think he wants a TE to be more involved with the game plan)

K (Need I say why)

LB (Depth)

WR (Dont think Aiken and Reed are the answer, and Moulds is getting older)

RB (If Henry is gone, Need someone else on the bench, because it looks like mcgahee will not be extremely durable)

DT (Resign phat pat or we will need someone. What ever happened with Tim Anderson? Is this guy still on our team?)

OL (Played better as the season went on, resign jennings)

S (Milloy and Vincent are aging)

Mostly cosmetic moves needed. I dont think we need to take many drastic steps here, but we NEED to find someone who can kick 28 yard field goals on a consistent basis. We also need to start worrying about aging players, and finding replacements for them.

Also important, I hope Jerry Gray doesnt leave for a HC job. And we all have to endure another season of Tom Modrak interviewing with every available club for a GM spot (PLEASE dont be the dolphins...)

Eh, im okay with mcgee.  I think he is coming on and needs to develop a bit.  Should be okay long-term.  Still need a corner though, insurance if clements leaves.

Other needs (in no order)

TE (Again....Mularkey was a TE and I think he wants a TE to be more involved with the game plan)

K (Need I say why)

LB (Depth)

WR (Dont think Aiken and Reed are the answer, and Moulds is getting older)

RB (If Henry is gone, Need someone else on the bench, because it looks like mcgahee will not be extremely durable)

DT (Resign phat pat or we will need someone. What ever happened with Tim Anderson?  Is this guy still on our team?)

OL (Played better as the season went on, resign jennings)

S (Milloy and Vincent are aging)

Mostly cosmetic moves needed.  I dont think we need to take many drastic steps here, but we NEED to find someone who can kick 28 yard field goals on a consistent basis.  We also need to start worrying about aging players, and finding replacements for them.

Also important, I hope Jerry Gray doesnt leave for a HC job.  And we all have to endure another season of Tom Modrak interviewing with every available club for a GM spot (PLEASE dont be the dolphins...)

189325[/snapback]

Very rational analysis. I agree with most of it, but I think we may have our TE on the squad already, among all the injured guys. Campbell was coming on when he got hurt, and Euhus and Peters show promise.

I also agree that the O-line is coming around. Maybe draft a guard. Try to resign Jennings or else draft or otherwise pick up a tackle. I expect another year under McNally and this O-line will be strong.

As you say, need to get some young guys backing up the aging talent. Are the backup safeties we have good enough?

Very rational analysis.  I agree with most of it, but I think we may have our TE on the squad already, among all the injured guys.  Campbell was coming on when he got hurt, and Euhus and Peters show promise.

I also agree that the O-line is coming around.  Maybe draft a guard.  Try to resign Jennings or else draft or otherwise pick up a tackle.  I expect another year under McNally and  this O-line will be strong.

As you say, need to get some young guys backing up the aging talent. Are the backup safeties we have good enough?

189347[/snapback]

Baker played well for the undrafted rookie that he was. He'll be OK when Vincent retires ;-)

Josh Reed needs to clean out his locker WHAT A BUST.

188823[/snapback]

In fairness to Reed, he's been jerked around alot in that he played his rookie year in the slot and did real well. Then second year as a wide out. This year played wide out in training camp and beginning of season till Evens became starter, then got hurt, then moved to slot.

I'd say give him one full year with off season workouts and training camp playing nothing but the slot. I think he has one year left on a cheap contact. I'd give him one more year to see how he could do as a pure slot reciever.

Go Bills!

188803[/snapback]

Yep. I think most picked the team to end up between 7 - 9 and 9 - 7.

They had a good comeback after a disheartening start, some pretty good new talent surfaced, and were in it to the end.

Go Bills!

Go Bills!

188803[/snapback]

Great post Nanker!!!!

Definitely a very good rookie year, especially sticking to the plan after opening 0-4.

Am I satisfied? No, since I will not be watching the Bills again until next year. But I do feel that we have a coach that could have a long and successful tenure in Buffalo. I have not felt that way in a LONG time. :doh:

Congrats Coach Mularkey.

Today was a bummer...but going 9-3 the last 12 is good.

There are 3 teams that are clearly better than us in the AFC right now Two we would lose to about 90-100% of the time...(Steelers and Pats) and 1 that would probably beat us 70% of the time (Colts)..I think we could go 50/50 or better against the B tier--which is Chargers, Ravens, Jets, Bengals, Broncos, Texans, Jags right now.

What distinguishes the Pats and Steelers--wonderful depth, great coaching/scheming, verging on elite QB play, solid and consistent offensive line play and defensive front 7 play. Colts are distinguished because of their phenomenal Offensive Talent.

So each area; Front 7:

I think on most days our front 7 stacks up with any in the league..but some days (particularly against the Pats and the Steelers) I see us having trouble reaching the QB in blitz situations....I think our existing talent can improve just like they did in turnovers this year-the only place I would look at a potential upgrade would be Posey--but he is by no means awful.

OLine

Depth--we need O-line depth in the worst way. Resigning Marcus Price would help here..and then adding an interior nasty guy and a Tackle to replace Jennings (who is almost certainly headed to Atlanta).

O-line--we simply have very poor communication in both run and pass blitz situations, and the Pats and the Steelers D coordinators abuse us because of it--its been that way for 5 years---I don't understand it--but maybe with a talent upgrade and another year of the mouse--we can get this corrected.

QB

QB play--I have never written about this issue--but there is obviously a defensive plan for Bledsoe that good teams can execute correctly. Part of the book on Drew reads:

1) Hit him early--he never settles the rest of the game.

2) Take advantage of his tendency to be slow in his progressions and the related tendency to lock on receivers (The interception today is a perfect example--he never took his eyes off Neufeld...Foote just read his eyes and saw how Neufeld sat in the route stepped in front and voila)...

3) Very little pocket awareness--Bledsoe needs the perfect pocket most of the time--and can't deftly step away (ala Marino/Manning) when he "feels" pressure...

Unfortunately -- these three traits--probably mean we don't currently have a QB that can win a SuperBowl--we don't need a messiah--just a guy with the ability to not make the majority of Offensive Line mistakes result in a negative play or turnover..

At 33 -its tough to learn new tricks--this job is open come training camp--and as many have pointed out--a relatively cheap vet may be brought in.

Coaching/Scheming--bring the staff back en masse next year--but I would add one more experienced D coach to coordinate 3rd down D..

I am as bummed as anyone--but we batted .750 the last 3 months--we just aren't elite yet--but it needs to happen in '05 or '06 because our D is not getting any younger...

3) Very little pocket awareness--Bledsoe needs the perfect pocket most of the time--and can't deftly step away (ala Marino/Manning) when he "feels" pressure...

During the winning streak, DB was avoiding sacks extremely well. He was sidestepping the rush, stepping up in the pocket, and even scrambling for first downs.

Today, he didn't do that... But to say he doesn't/can't do that isn't very accurate IMHO.

I agree on the OL. I also think we need to get rid of Reed. Aiken has shown to be a good #3. No worse than Reed anyway...

CW