The most worrying thing I saw today....

Simon

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

To the OP's point, Gailey's offense is predicated on timing and clearly there wasn't much between the QB and his receivers. Ironically, Fitz came out and was red-hot the first three games last season without the benefit of a full off-season of practices. How does an offense with largely the same cast of characters have less cohesion this time around? Not to mention the only new starter on offense is the LT, who was adequate today from my perspective.

Any homer can claim it's only one game, but the underlying issues will not go away in one week.

To the OP's point, Gailey's offense is predicated on timing and clearly there wasn't much between the QB and his receivers. Ironically, Fitz came out and was red-hot the first three games last season without the benefit of a full off-season of practices. How does an offense with largely the same cast of characters have less cohesion this time around? Not to mention the only new starter on offense is the LT, who was adequate today from my perspective.

Any homer can claim it's only one game, but the underlying issues will not go away in one week.

The answer to that is easy. The offense has been figured out - Gailey's spread offense. He ran the exact same offense as last year today (I didn't see anything new). It was something fresh at the beginning of last year. Teams know how to gameplan against this offense very easily now. Put pressure on Fitz and sit in the short zones because they can't beat you intermediately or down field and along in the sidelines. Neither the QB or WR's are capable downfield.

The Cromartie pick 6 is a prime example of this. It's from watching film and knowing the offensive tendancies. A burner on that play would be a double move....but this offense doesn't attack down field...Rex Ryan knows this..

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Well, in my book you contradicted yourself some.

They should have established chemistry already, but because it didn't show today it can't come out next week?

The answer to that is easy. The offense has been figured out - Gailey's spread offense. He ran the exact same offense as last year today (I didn't see anything new). Teams know how to gameplan against this offense very easily now. Put pressure on Fitz and sit in the short zones because they can't beat you intermediately or down field and along in the sidelines. Neither the QB or WR's are capable downfield.

The Cromartie pick 6 is a prime example of this. It's from watching film and knowing the offensive tendancies. A burner on that play would be a double move....but this offense doesn't attack down field...Rex Ryan knows this..

This is my real worry. We stretch horizontal not vertical. Doesn't have to be bombs but some depth in the routes would've been nice. Our WRs against the jets corners is an awful matchup though.

They should have established chemistry already, but because it didn't show today it can't come out next week?

This is my real worry. We stretch horizontal not vertical. Doesn't have to be bombs but some depth in the routes would've been nice. Our WRs against the jets corners is an awful matchup though.

You rarely see a pass over 15 yards....I agree we match up really bad against their secondary.

The turnovers were a symptom of an underlying problem and they will continue until the problem is fixed. Look at when the ball is coming out and when guys are making breaks, look at the clusterbomb that results when the Bills try to call up a screen, look all over the offense and you'll see a lot of guys on different pages.

There was zero point to calling up blitzes when Sanchez is getting the ball out to an open first read every single time he drops back.

You can gritzblitz 9 guys at him and they're still not going to get home before he hits his drop.

Can't disagree with any of this analysis. What's most puzzling is that there aren't a lot of new pieces on offense. The core players are there from last season yet Fitz was really late on a LOT of throws. That's what's caused 2 of his picks.

I'm also concerned about the number of times that Jets WR's were wide open. It was pretty clear that the Jet's game plan was to get the ball out quick so Sanchez didn't get killed. It was set up today as a pure timing offense yet our DB's are playing 12 yards deep. Why in God's name they don't get into a wrestling match and jam them on the LOS is beyond me.

Nonsense. Watch the film on those interceptions...they were fitz fault...there were completions to be made on 2 of the 3.

There were completions to be made IF the guys are on the same page; they are not.

Regardless of whether those balls are incompletions or interceptions, this problem is not going to go away until they are on the same page.

You want to put this all in Fitzpatricks lap and pretend it's as easy as changing QB's, but switching out the guy under center is not going to make the difference.

There are problems in this offense that run deeper than just one guy.

There were completions to be made IF the guys are on the same page; they are not.

Regardless of whether those balls are incompletions or interceptions, this problem is not going to go away until they are on the same page.

You want to put this all in Fitzpatricks lap and pretend it's as easy as changing QB's, but switching out the guy under center is not going to make the difference.

Strawman.

I expect an offensive unit featuring a QB with 30 starts now in a Gailey designed scheme with essentially the same receivers and backs to be better than today. Because if they didn't have it after an entire off-season, it's not going to magically show up next week when a new opponent has regular season game film to review.

I'm done making excuses for fitz, he sucks. However, I'm actually more concerned about our defense than our offense...I feel like our offensive issues can be fixed or hidden with other attacks...our defense though, is the same simple man on man, wrs wide open, no pressure "vanilla" defense everyone assured me was just preseason packages...we looked better in the preseason than today! No pressure. No batted balls. ZERO coverage skills. Horrible safety play. Making sancheez again look like f-n aaron rogers...100 million dollar man gets 1 tackle and not 1 pressure, let alone a sack (on some ps no name rt might I add)...only credit to give is for playing decent against the run....makes me wonder if Edwards was really behind the atrocious d last year or if it was wanny because it looks eerily similar!

The FO is tanking the season for the top pick. ;)

I really wish when we had top 3 picks we got a QB.

Well, this is a ridiculous assertion, but I know what you mean.

When we had the #3 pick (and took Marcell), the top-rated QB that year was Blaine Gabbert. Not exactly worth a #3 pick.

But I agree with you in principle.

What pisses me off is that Nix/Gailey refuse to recognize that they need to draft and develop a young QB. It does not have to be a 1st round pick.

In recent years, prospects like Osweiler, Skelton, Cousins were available. Of course, there is always some other position to be filled. But they need to take a shot. Not just a Levi Brown in the 7th. Put a bit more resources into it, fer cryin out loud.

For all of the "offensive genius" stuff we hear about Chan, he does not seem to see a need to develop a young QB. That is where Nix/Gailey really disappoint me.

In general, I'm a big Chan Gailey fan. But on this young QB issue, I strongly disagree with the coach.

From everything I've read and heard it seems that Gailey's offense is reaction based. If you see man coverage you run this, if zone you run this, cover 2 run this.

Is it a matter that Fitz and the WR's aren't seeing the same thing? If so, why? They're the same guys.

Is the offense overly complicated?

Would the Bills be better served "dumbing it down"?

I expect an offensive unit featuring a QB with 30 starts now in a Gailey designed scheme with essentially the same receivers and backs to be better than today. Because if they didn't have it after an entire off-season, it's not going to magically show up next week when a new opponent has regular season game film to review.

But this assumes today was the peak performance. What if it was a poor day, for whatever reason. Isn't it possible that the baseline is higher than this and we were just on the bad side of what would be average for our team?

I think we will run hot and cold. Today was cold. Hopefully we get some hot soon.

Atleast I hope we progress to a mean that's above today.

Many people complain that Fitz was the reason for the 3 INTs. Another way to look at it....

On the first INT Stevie ran the route too fast making it look like Fitz was late. Fitz felt Stevie's groin before the game and thought he was spent.

On the second INT, the WR should have stopped and come back for the ball. He never should have run the complete route.

The third INT wasn't really that bad, Fitz tried to gun it in there but simply forgot what colors we were wearing.

The offense and defense weren't prepared, and both teams looked lost. They played as though it were still pre-season. CJ Spiller is about the only bright spot and even he fumbled.

Most fans want to throw Fitz under the bus, but who was it that stated he can with with Fitz as his QB! Who has had 3 drafts, 3 free agency periods to bring in a more effective QB and hasn't done it.

Special teams gave up a punt return for a TD. The offense gives up 3 INT's, The defense with a 100 million dollar DE and Kyle Williams healthy looked worse then the George Edwards teams

This comes down to coaching, both Gailey and Wannstedt failed in presenting a proper game plan and motivating the players properly. No heart, it was an embarrassment to be a Bills fan today.