Who are your top 3 stand-up comedians and why

Kelly the Dog

Rodney Dangerfield

Sam Kinison

Richard Pryor

Bill Cosby

Bob Saget

I love hearing Saget tell stories about how people would come to his shows expecting the character from Full House...and then how they walked out in disgust when he started talking about f'ing and genitalia lol.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to know who the general public really likes as a stand-up these days, and what strikes you about them and their act or schtick, for a project I'm doing. Please be as specific as possible, and maybe a link to a favorite bit.

You're not held to this, and you can name more than three, but as a guideline, perhaps list one headliner, one up and comer or rising star, and one old standard you always found funny. Comediennes, too, if possible.

EDIT: And yes, i did just find the old thread on stand-ups from a few months ago. Please add your favorites again if you want.

#1 Marc Maron. The dude is the absolute best. A very conversational and honest storyteller. Since his podcast took off he has just been getting better and better. I've followed stand-up pretty seriously for years and there has never been a comic as good as Maron, in my opinion.

#2 Kyle Kinane. Kind of like a degenerate hipster version of Louis CK. As much as I love CK, the fact I don't have (or want) a wife and kids means I don't relate to most of his material. Kinane has a similar point of view, but his delivery and experiences or more aligned to my daily life. Plus all the tracks on his album are named after Cheap Trick songs.

#3 Rodney Dangerfield. I think people forget how good of a joke teller Dangerfield was. His No Respect album is absolutely amazing.

as far as lady comics go Maria Bamford is my favorite. A very weird presence, but if you can lock into what she is trying to do arguably one of the most consistently funny people out there. I probably laugh more/harder to her than anyone else.

#1 Marc Maron. The dude is the absolute best. A very conversational and honest storyteller. Since his podcast took off he has just been getting better and better. I've followed stand-up pretty seriously for years and there has never been a comic as good as Maron, in my opinion.

#2 Kyle Kinane. Kind of like a degenerate hipster version of Louis CK. As much as I love CK, the fact I don't have (or want) a wife and kids means I don't relate to most of his material. Kinane has a similar point of view, but his delivery and experiences or more aligned to my daily life. Plus all the tracks on his album are named after Cheap Trick songs.

#3 Rodney Dangerfield. I think people forget how good of a joke teller Dangerfield was. His No Respect album is absolutely amazing.

as far as lady comics go Maria Bamford is my favorite. A very weird presence, but if you can lock into what she is trying to do arguably one of the most consistently funny people out there. I probably laugh more/harder to her than anyone else.

We think alike. Maron's pod is really good. The one with Russell Peters is my favorite. Maria Bamford is a chameleon. She can be many things but always funny.

Lots of good comedians mentioned in this thread. If I've missed them: Greg Fitzsimmons, Bryan Callen, Jay Mohr, Jim Jefferies, Mike Birbilgiia, Nick DiPaolo etc.

All Time

George Carlin

Andrew Dice Clay

Steven Wright

Current

Doug Stanhope

Dave Attell

Patton Oswalt

I was reading through this hoping to see someone would mention Doug Stanhope. I just came across him a couple months ago and absolutely love him. He is very vulgar and controversial, but his material is pure gold and absolutely hilarious.

I was reading through this hoping to see someone would mention Doug Stanhope. I just came across him a couple months ago and absolutely love him. He is very vulgar and controversial, but his material is pure gold and absolutely hilarious.

Totally agree. I guess I knew him but his brand of comedy hit me when listening to a Joe Rogan Experience Podcast last year. They were discussing about how wanting to have children was the most narcissistic thing anyone could want to do. "Hey lets make a little person that is just like us! - Oh and by the way it's the biggest frigging thing you can do to increase your carbon footprint!" It was great.

Do yourself a favor and look for YouTube clips of Stanhope. A couple of his specials are there.

Bob Newhart

George Carlin

Rodney Dangerfield

Newhart had the straight man down pat and w/ his 'phone calls' didn't even need a clown on the other end of the jokes. Carlin was a true master. Rodney just made me laugh.

There's a lot of other guys (and a gal or 2) that are and were funny, but those were my top 3. (Steven Wright, Rita Rudner, Dennis Miller, Jay Leno, Bill Cosby, Alan Sherman, Mitch Hedberg, Robert Lee, John Panette, Carl Hurley, Chonda Pierce, James P Connolly are just a few others that are hilarious.)