Who are your top 3 stand-up comedians and why

Kelly the Dog

I need to know who the general public really likes as a stand-up these days, and what strikes you about them and their act or schtick, for a project I'm doing. Please be as specific as possible, and maybe a link to a favorite bit.

You're not held to this, and you can name more than three, but as a guideline, perhaps list one headliner, one up and comer or rising star, and one old standard you always found funny. Comediennes, too, if possible.

EDIT: And yes, i did just find the old thread on stand-ups from a few months ago. Please add your favorites again if you want.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Louis CK - hes funny as ****, he bags on his own family (especially his daughter) alot, and hates on himself...I kinda like that in a comedian...had an awesome HBO show called Lucky Louie, not to be confused with that trash on FX called Louie)

Jim Gaffigan makes me laugh too, his bits when he talks in his high voice about what your thinking about him is funny

Lisa Lampanelli is the only comedienne ive ever been able to tolerate

Kevin Nealon is one of my favorite comedians ever and hes still putting on (Rare) new shows....

Louis CK - hes funny as ****, he bags on his own family (especially his daughter) alot, and hates on himself...I kinda like that in a comedian...had an awesome HBO show called Lucky Louie, not to be confused with that trash on FX called Louie)

Jim Gaffigan makes me laugh too, his bits when he talks in his high voice about what your thinking about him is funny

Lisa Lampanelli is the only comedienne ive ever been able to tolerate

Kevin Nealon is one of my favorite comedians ever and hes still putting on (Rare) new shows....

Wow, different strokes for different folks. I think Louie is one of the best shows on TV.

Wow, different strokes for different folks. I think Louie is one of the best shows on TV.

did you ever see Lucky Louie?

I only call Louie "trash" in comparison to Lucky Louie because im bitter Lucky Louie only lasted one season and it was pure comedic gold...picture Louie unedited, and raunchy(er)

I only call Louie "trash" in comparison to Lucky Louie because im bitter Lucky Louie only lasted one season and it was pure comedic gold...picture Louie unedited, and raunchy(er)

Admittedly, I haven't seen Lucky Louie. Regarding Louie, it's best to think of it as an absurdist drama with comedic elements than a sitcom. A lot of people expect to belly laugh and are disappointed.

I liked "Lucky Louie" a lot too, but I think "Louie" is a far better show. The only thing I can think of that they ever did on "Lucky Louie" that they couldn't do on "Louie" is show somebody's man junk, one too many times... both shows are pretty experimental...I don't think every episode of "Louie" is brilliant, but when it is good it is excellent...the two-parter with Parker Posie was awesome....the sort of follow-up with Chloe Sevigney was as raunchy as you could have gotten...and the one a few weeks ago where Louie gets head from a date, and does not want to return the favor was plenty raunchy.

As for my favorite stand-ups, that is tuff...to narrow it to three...but off the top of my head, I would have to say:

1- George Carlin- he made me laugh, even as he got older, and more and more bitter. He was righteous and funny...the best! Sad to think he will never have another HBO special.

2- Steven Wright- in his prime, when he was "hot", he was just friggin' hilarious...and it was never offensive, always just clever.

3- Sarah Silverman- I know we have a lot of lady haters on this board. and I am sure SS is loathed by most...but I think she is brilliant... it ain't what she says, it's the way that she says it. I didn't love her tv show (though it still made me laugh from time to time), but her stand-up stuff is great. I don't think she does as much as she used to, but I have had the opportunity to see her twice, and both times, tears of laughter and a sore throat from laughing so much.

I would also rate Steve Martin pretty high, though he isn't really a stand-up comic anymore...hasn't been for decades...his albums "Excuse Me", "Let's Get Small', and "Comedy Isn't Pretty" were a big part of my formative years. Also, when he was a stand-up, Martin Mull was pretty amazing as well.

Admittedly, I haven't seen Lucky Louie. Regarding Louie, it's best to think of it as an absurdist drama with comedic elements than a sitcom. A lot of people expect to belly laugh and are disappointed.

I really like this show too...but, if I have one small quibble with it, sometimes it is just too depressing...really gotta be in the mood, cuz the show can take some pretty dark (and heavy) turns. I like that description "absurdest drama"...you oughta go into writing or something! :P

Louis CK - In the last ten years, I feel like the only shows that have regularly delivered great big belly laughs are Louie and Chappelle's show. I love his honesty. He's not afraid to let people know that he's an !@#$. Where Carlin focused on society, Louie CK will often use himself as an example of how !@#$ed up society is.

Mitch Hedberg - Any comedian relies on timing, and IMO Mitch really started a whole generation of comics who are currently playing with using timing differently, and thinking about jokes in a different way.

George Carlin - I got my first George Carlin cassette when I was about 10 years old, and wanted to be a comedian for about 5 years. That same album still cracks me up, although it may be partially nostalgia.

Honorable Mention - I don't think he actually does stand up, but one guy who I know will always crack me up is H Jon Benjamin. He's done a lot of voice work in animated shows, and anytime he's in something I know I'll enjoy it. Here's a clip from Home Movies. He was also on Dr. Katz.

Honorable Mention - I don't think he actually does stand up, but one guy who I know will always crack me up is H Jon Benjamin. He's done a lot of voice work in animated shows, and anytime he's in something I know I'll enjoy it. Here's a clip from Home Movies. He was also on Dr. Katz.

Almost every episode of Archer is pure gold.

Archer: "Hello? Airplanes? It's blimps. You win!" :D

Mitch Hedberg - Any comedian relies on timing, and IMO Mitch really started a whole generation of comics who are currently playing with using timing differently, and thinking about jokes in a different way.

If you want to make a living off of one-liners, you better be !@#$ing good at it. Mitch was the best. Better than Rodney Dangerfield.

Louis CK

Jim Breuer

Jim Gaffigan

Sarah Silverman

Amy Shumer

Lisa Lampinelli

Jeff Dunham

I'm with ya til the very end, Pooj. By which I mean that's an awesome list with a piece of **** at the very end. :P

I get everyone slamming Dunham...but even despite the lack of new material, his puppet acts still crack me up

If you want to make a living off of one-liners, you better be !@#$ing good at it. Mitch was the best. Better than Rodney Dangerfield.

I'm with ya til the very end, Pooj. By which I mean that's an awesome list with a piece of **** at the very end. :P

I dont get the jeff dunham love one bit...I mean, maybe if your a child and like puppets, but he uses very tired jokes, and relies on talking puppets to get a few laughs...to even mention him in the same breath as some of the true comedians listed above is shameful

All Time

George Carlin

Andrew Dice Clay

Steven Wright

Current

Doug Stanhope

Dave Attell

Patton Oswalt

LOVED andrew dice clay haha...the nursery rhymes are some of the best of all time..."hickory dickory dock...."