This time Directv maybe going to far

plenzmd1

So, i have enabled the 30SKIP cheat on my HR20, and have used it with no issues for the last two years or so. Now, whn watching a recorded program, i have noticed that any thime there is a DTV commercial..no workee, got to watch the damn thing. Aint that a B word. found a few threads on the webs saying DTV claims this is a bug...bug my ass. BTW,a the 30 slip does not owk either on those commercials

Really like them otherewise..but this just irritates me

So you're mad because an undocumented back door they put in doesn't work like it used to.....?

I noticed a couple of months ago that commercials for DTV look "different" when fast forwarding - it's a gray screen. Not sure if they're encoding it differently within the stream or what, but it very well COULD be a bug, and it doesn't affect regular fast forwarding. If it did, then I'd think you have an argument. But not with an undocumented backdoor.

So you're mad because an undocumented back door they put in doesn't work like it used to.....?

I noticed a couple of months ago that commercials for DTV look "different" when fast forwarding - it's a gray screen. Not sure if they're encoding it differently within the stream or what, but it very well COULD be a bug, and it doesn't affect regular fast forwarding. If it did, then I'd think you have an argument. But not with an undocumented backdoor.

Damn right i am..lets be clear the 30 second slip does not work on their commercials either, and that is not a backdoor, that is a listed feature . As an almost twenty year subcriber, who PAYS for the 4 DVRs, I do not expect to be forced to watch their ads!. AND BTW, from the threads I read none of their techs can document a bug number or the fix or the root cause...this is nothing more than them making you watch their commericals..bullchit!!!

What is to stop them from taking a a payment from Coke or GM or Nike, or god forbid Obama or Romney campaigns making their commercials act in the same way???

Edited by plenzmd1

My gripe is that if there are 2 channels, one HD the other non-HD the non subsribed non hd channel always sucks. Hd channels are gorgeous and clear as a bell, if a bell were to be clear.

I think i know what you mean...if you go into settings you can have the guide only show the HD Channel..then all your recordings will grab the HD ONE

I think i know what you mean...if you go into settings you can have the guide only show the HD Channel..then all your recordings will grab the HD ONE

didn't know that...just got it again after many years. are there many good stations that you would miss having that are not not available in hd (for instance amc wasn't available in hd on my previous cable)? i'm pretty impressed but can't find the 1080p stations.also had trouble with the learning remote. set it up and tested it on the set up screen, closed it and when i tried to use it on my receiver by changing volume it said "keys not programmed". am i missing a step? all that said, the 3d is way better than i expected - now they just need more programming. watched the ohio/penn state game the other night. slow mo side shots were fantastic. and why do you have 4 dvr's? the whole house deal rocks so far for me.

So the setup thing will just let you take out the duplicates that are in HD and SD...this is all the local stuff. Cant help with the remote thing..sometimes though it is just like anything else and needs a reset.

I would love to see a live event in 3D, think that is the future of the medium...and i do see where some are now coming out without the glasses requirment.

I have gradually accumalted the DVRs..never pay for anything up front for them, but i get charged $10 a month for the 4 of them. With a teenage daughter who wants to recrod every Honey Boo Boo, Dance Moms, etc, and me recording anything with the word Bills, Sabres, Buffalo with a 3 hour buffer...space runs out pretty quick LOL..nice to have the 4 DVR setup

Edited by plenzmd1

So the setup thing will just let you take out the duplicates that are in HD and SD...this is all the local stuff. Cant help with the remote thing..sometimes though it is just like anything else and needs a reset.

I would love to see a live event in 3D, think that is the future of the medium...and i do see where some are now coming out without the glasses requirment.

I have gradually accumalted the DVRs..never pay for anything up front for them, but i get charged $10 a month for the 4 of them. With a teenage daughter who wants to recrod every Honey Boo Boo, Dance Moms, etc, and me recording anything with the word Bills, Sabres, Buffalo with a 3 hour buffer...space runs out pretty quick LOL..nice to have the 4 DVR setup

guess i'd need 4 dvr's too in that situation. never even heard of those shows which is probably a good thing. learning remotes never seem to be universal so i can't blame directv too much. i'll just keep experimenting. i find it interesting that they don't even list apple tv in their code options - suppose they may feel a bit threatened but last i heard apple backed off when they couldn't get big networks to sign on.

thanks for the guide settings info. should simplify the guide.