Would you watch a "bronze medal" game?

PromoTheRobot

Would you watch a game between conference losers?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Would you watch a "bronze medal" game a week before the SB?

• Yes. Why not?
    • No. Stupid idea.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather see the two worst NFL teams play each other with the first overall draft pick going to the WINNER. Sports should never reward epic failure.

Actually, shouldn't the first pick go to the loser?

Now that would make for an odd game! Everybody trying to lose, except the QB who doesn't want to lose his job.

Hmmm...very interesting (not!)

I'd rather see the two worst NFL teams play each other with the first overall draft pick going to the WINNER. Sports should never reward epic failure.

The whole point of the draft order being the reverse of the previous seasons results is to promote equity, not reward failure.

The whole suck for Luck thing Indy pulled took advantage of that desire on the part of the NFL.

Yes I would watch it but I don't think it is necessary, plus I don't think the players would want to do it. No one would want to be two time loser

I'd rather see best two out of three superbowl. that way you get to watch at least 2 superbowls a year, everyone makes more money and it would give you a true winner when sometimes the lesser Team pulls off an upset (90 91 giants).

The NFL canceled the Pro Bowl game the week before the Super Bowl. What if there were a game between the two conference championship losers, sort of like a bronze medal game in the Olympics- that weekend before the Super Bowl?

On the one hand it seems pointless. On the other hand it's football and it fills an empty weekend. Think of it like an NFL bowl game.

PTR

Whether I would watch it or not is one thing (I can't resist football). But I would hate the idea of a team "winning" 3rd place. Places matter in the regular season, in the post season there should be only the SB winner, and those who did not win the SB.

What would be a better idea IMO, would be watching the two worst teams play for the #1 overall pick. WINNER getting the 1st overall, so that the game wouldn't be a tank fest. Obviously this would never happen, but it would have some meaning, and I would like it better than a "bronze medal" game.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

We're Number 3! We're Number 3!

Small consolation if an injury during the game shortens a career...

Exactly...Actually I think it would mean less to the players...You've already lost, yet you have to play again anyway...The Pro Bowl is at least an honor, and is generally free of hard hits, penalties, and injuries.

What I would prefer is to see the NFL expanded but broken up into two divisions. One would be the premier league which would have a normal playoff system to produce the SB winner.

The other track would be either a single game between the teams with the two worse records or could be a losers bracket playoff between the four worse recprds.

I would like these playoffs because the stakes would be real if the losing team (or two teams in a playoff of four) would drop down to the secondary league for the next year.

Thus two teams would move up from the secondary league to the Premeir League when the losing teams go down.

There are a host of business problems with this type of model as teams which lose their Premeir status to become secondary league teams would likely lose some of their panache and thus sponsors. The Bills oddly under such a system would for the most part been fine since though our playoff qualification record is horrendous for a decade + only once in tha time were we in the bottom 4 and never in the bottom 2.

However, I would much prefer some real stakes in winning/losing.

What I would prefer is to see the NFL expanded but broken up into two divisions. One would be the premier league which would have a normal playoff system to produce the SB winner.

The other track would be either a single game between the teams with the two worse records or could be a losers bracket playoff between the four worse recprds.

I would like these playoffs because the stakes would be real if the losing team (or two teams in a playoff of four) would drop down to the secondary league for the next year.

Thus two teams would move up from the secondary league to the Premeir League when the losing teams go down.

There are a host of business problems with this type of model as teams which lose their Premeir status to become secondary league teams would likely lose some of their panache and thus sponsors. The Bills oddly under such a system would for the most part been fine since though our playoff qualification record is horrendous for a decade + only once in tha time were we in the bottom 4 and never in the bottom 2.

However, I would much prefer some real stakes in winning/losing.

Hmmm the FIFA model applied to tackle football. Interesting.

That would tend to make it more fair for small market teams.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Awesome idea. Championship Game Losers get $40,000 per player. Doubleheader- 1st game 31 vs 32 for the 1st overall draft pick. 2nd game- Champ game losers for 3rd place. Take the $40,000 per man payouts from the Champ. Game and put it on the line. Winners get $80,000 and losers get $0.

I remember watching the 1968 Cowboys vs Vikings game as a Cowboy fan. The Cowboys won, but they played a lot of scrubs. It was a total yawn fest. That's why they stopped playing it.

It's sad to see how the Pro Bowl has gotten to be such a lame game. I remember watching it years back where it was a good entertaining game with guys trying to win. Maybe now since guys make so freakin' much scratch, another measley $50,000 or whatever the winner's make is not enough to get them motivated?

I also remember my football coaches telling us you gotta go hard every play and at practice because that's when you get hurt, going half speed. Guess that isn't true for the Pro Bowl.

No team would ever play the game seriously. No team wants to risk injury playing for something other than the Super Bowl or at least regular season games that matter. If in some hypothetical universe the two teams that lost the AFC and NFC title games played each other for a trophy that might has some meaning. I would watch it.

But in reality it just wouldn't work due to risking injury so late in the year for well nothing.

The whole point of the draft order being the reverse of the previous seasons results is to promote equity, not reward failure.

The whole suck for Luck thing Indy pulled took advantage of that desire on the part of the NFL.

So you think Caldwell and polian coached to lose last year (losing their jobs), so irsay could get luck?

I think the team was crushed by injury(far beyond just manning).

No team would ever play the game seriously. No team wants to risk injury playing for something other than the Super Bowl or at least regular season games that matter. If in some hypothetical universe the two teams that lost the AFC and NFC title games played each other for a trophy that might has some meaning. I would watch it.

But in reality it just wouldn't work due to risking injury so late in the year for well nothing.

Bingo - why tear an acl for a 3rd place trophy? Every week counts heavily for the championship. That is a big draw in the nfl.

A third option which would apply to me ...

Only if the Bills are in the game

I watch very very little non-Bills football.

This has always been odd to me. A big enough fan of the bills to watch all the games and join a board but not of the game enough to watch non bills ball? Seems we have a decent chunk that follow that. I don't mean it as a knock - just strange in my head.

Edited by NoSaint

this creates exactly the same problem that the pro bowl presents:

a football game that doesn't matter and is played with low intensity is not entertaining

exhibition is not a format that works as well for football as it does for some other sports due to the nature of the game