Would you watch a "bronze medal" game?

PromoTheRobot

Would you watch a game between conference losers?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Would you watch a "bronze medal" game a week before the SB?

• Yes. Why not?
    • No. Stupid idea.

The NFL canceled the Pro Bowl game the week before the Super Bowl. What if there were a game between the two conference championship losers, sort of like a bronze medal game in the Olympics- that weekend before the Super Bowl?

On the one hand it seems pointless. On the other hand it's football and it fills an empty weekend. Think of it like an NFL bowl game.

PTR

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Id watch it, but I can see it being much like the pro bowl with either team caring

I'm sure some motivation (read money) could change that. If it was incentivized (just wanted to use that word once in my life :lol: ) I could see the players getting behind it. I actually think this would be a great idea. America is football obsessed it would have no problems pulling in huge ratings.

I'm sure some motivation (read money) could change that. If it was incentivized (just wanted to use that word once in my life :lol: ) I could see the players getting behind it. I actually think this would be a great idea. America is football obsessed it would have no problems pulling in huge ratings.

It'd need to be A LOT of money I'd guess, to have any impact. In talking huge dollars.

The reason players dont go hard in the pro bowl is they are afraid of getting injured in a meaningless game. This guys bring home a couple thousand per game (and thats the back ups) What kind of incentive do you have in mind?

If they can't get it up for a pro Bowl while in vacation in HI.

I don't think the 9ers will get up to play the Ravens for fun or vice versa.

What about some kind of FA and Practice Squad bowl like future stars of the NFL bowl.

Skills competetion is the easiest and actually better than a lame game

It'd need to be A LOT of money I'd guess, to have any impact. In talking huge dollars.

The reason players dont go hard in the pro bowl is they are afraid of getting injured in a meaningless game. This guys bring home a couple thousand per game (and thats the back ups) What kind of incentive do you have in mind?

I'm not so sure. You guys are treating it as if it were meaningless game. Is the bronze medal game in the Olympics meaningless? This would be much different than the pro bowl as it would actually mean something to the players. Add in the extra incentive of more money to the winning team and I don't think it would be an issue for players to sign off.

The probowl doesn't work and isn't taken seriously because it is a known exhibition. This game wouldn't be an exhibition. It would be part of the season and involve 2 teams that are still in game shape and playing. When the probowl rolls around some guys haven't been playing for weeks or a month - injury risk is much greater. On top of that it isn't your team your representing it's the conference and well who really cares about that. Look at Tannehill he might not even know what team he's supposed to be on! :nana:

I'd rather see the two worst NFL teams play each other with the first overall draft pick going to the WINNER. Sports should never reward epic failure.

Yup i've been behind this idea for a while. Funny thing is picture being the qb of a team playing in this game with a stud coming out. Wouldn't you be tempted in the least to throw the game and give your team the #2 pick and miss out on the guy who is going to take your job? :devil::bag:

I might watch it if the players took the game seriously.

We've created a Super Bowl or bust mentality that believes anything less than a SB victory is a failure. The battle for the 'bronze medal' is just a game to decide how far you failed by. I think it would be hard to convince players that it's worth the effort - and worth the risk of injury.

Nonetheless, I would definately watch if the Bills were playing.

I'll bet that after a week in Honolulu they don't bring home anything but a big credit card bill.

In the NFL there is no prize for 2nd place. Why would there be a third place trophy and what should it be made of? Certainly not bronze.

When the Bills lost 4 straight I didn't wake up the next morning and get giddy over the fact that although we lost the biggest game of the year. We were the 2nd best team.

There is one winner each year in the league. The other 31 teams FAIL.

I voted no. This would be the equivalent of a preseason game (i.e., it means NOTHING) and unless the Bills are playing I wouldn't be paying attention. It's actually worse than preseason, because I do sometimes watch non-Bills preseason games to get an idea of what a team/player might look like for the upcoming season.

Also note -- I haven't watched the Pro Bowl in years because it means nothing and the Bills have been so crappy they don't have anyone in the game.