Economics/Futurist Question

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are basically two schools of thought of Hollywood plotlines for the future. It's either a post apocalyptic wasteland, where gangs rule rule the world, a la Mad Max, Escape from NY, etc or it's a dumbed down, lazy ass fat people living in a nanny state, a la Idiocracy or Wall-E. My hunch is that it will be closer to the latter and not the former. Mankind has adapted pretty well to scarce resources, and technology is making better use of the resources we need. Also, overpopulation is a bogeyman myth because as societies gets wealthier, birth rates go down. Most of Western Europe, plus Japan & China are reproducing at below replacement levels. As the rest of the world's economies advance, birth rates will also slow. So the bigger issue will be replenishing the human race, not overpopulation. And that race will be fatter and lazier.

Interesting. Do you have any articles or links I can read about any of this? Much appreciated.

Interesting. Do you have any articles or links I can read about any of this? Much appreciated.

Do your own homework Sue :)

Don't have a specific link, but CIA, UN & World Bank usually have a trove of statistics on population trends. We had a discussion here recently that France was considering adding a tax break to encourage people to have more kids.

Here's one site I pulled out of a hat. Have no clue on the site's origins, but looks like it has decent links to data.

There are basically two schools of thought of Hollywood plotlines for the future. It's either a post apocalyptic wasteland, where gangs rule rule the world, a la Mad Max, Escape from NY, etc or it's a dumbed down, lazy ass fat people living in a nanny state, a la Idiocracy or Wall-E. My hunch is that it will be closer to the latter and not the former. Mankind has adapted pretty well to scarce resources, and technology is making better use of the resources we need. Also, overpopulation is a bogeyman myth because as societies gets wealthier, birth rates go down. Most of Western Europe, plus Japan & China are reproducing at below replacement levels. As the rest of the world's economies advance, birth rates will also slow. So the bigger issue will be replenishing the human race, not overpopulation. And that race will be fatter and lazier.

Wow, now you're quoting marx; you marxist! :nana:

Wow, now you're quoting marx; you marxist! :nana:

Given your reputation around here, I'm sure you already know this, so I may come off as patronizing; but Marx did much of the ground breaking work surrounding capital, value, and labor in the general sense, and virtually every school of modern economic thought must look to him as one of their founding fathers to one degree of another.

Given your reputation around here, I'm sure you already know this, so I may come off as patronizing; but Marx did much of the ground breaking work surrounding capital, value, and labor in the general sense, and virtually every school of modern economic thought must look to him as one of their founding fathers to one degree of another.

Marx!

i7Hjto.gif

In 75 years the European union will have merged with Japan, Canada, U.K. and the U.S. to create a global fiat currency backed by the Pan-American-Euro-Pacific (PAEC) Central bank.

Synthetic oil will have been perfected as scientists will have figured out a way to make actual oil using (carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, sulfur, and trace elements).

Magnetic bullet train levitation (with hydrogen fuel, and battery propulsion) will have been perfected with the ability to bring trains of Bills fans from Toronto, Rochester, Syracuse, and Buffalo to the Niagara Falls Bills stadium at speeds approaching 300mph.

Economies will begin producing all the goods needed for consumption within city limits - as economies localize production.

In 75 years the European union will have merged with Japan, Canada, U.K. and the U.S. to create a global fiat currency backed by the Pan-American-Euro-Pacific (PAEC) Central bank.

Synthetic oil will have been perfected as scientists will have figured out a way to make actual oil using (carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, sulfur, and trace elements).

Magnetic bullet train levitation (with hydrogen fuel, and battery propulsion) will have been perfected with the ability to bring trains of Bills fans from Toronto, Rochester, Syracuse, and Buffalo to the Niagara Falls Bills stadium at speeds approaching 300mph.

Economies will begin producing all the goods needed for consumption within city limits - as economies localize production.

Seriously? You're predicting finance becomes globally integrated, transportation becomes cheaper and easier...and "economies localize production"?

"Hydrogen fuel, battery propulsion." What does that even mean? :lol:

A Boy and His Dog

A post-apocalyptic tale based on a novella by Harlan Ellison. A boy communicates telepathically with his dog as they scavenge for food and sex, and they stumble into an underground society where the old society is preserved. The daughter of one of the leaders of the community seduces and lures him below, where the citizens have become unable to reproduce because of being underground so long. They use him for impregnation purposes, and then plan to be rid of him.

:mellow:

A post-apocalyptic tale based on a novella by Harlan Ellison. A boy communicates telepathically with his dog as they scavenge for food and sex, and they stumble into an underground society where the old society is preserved. The daughter of one of the leaders of the community seduces and lures him below, where the citizens have become unable to reproduce because of being underground so long. They use him for impregnation purposes, and then plan to be rid of him.

:mellow:

One of the worst movies in the history of the world. The first movie I took my wife-to-be when we were dating. Lucky for me we were able to laugh it off and she agreed to keep dating me, but she wasn't too sure for a while. It was also Don Johnson's big screen debut as a lead. I couldn't get into Miami Vice as a result of the trauma inflicted by that movie. It was a bit like Alex suffering the tortures of the damned in ACO.