A thought regarding the 2010 draft

cmjoyce113

During the 2010 draft wast the prep work done by levy's staff with Modrak and Guy. I am personally under the impression we can judge Nix as having total control until 2011's draft. Is that so wrong to think that? Until these guys were gone Nic didn't have his full team in place helping make the decisions is my thought.

Anyone agree, disagree?

Yes it's wrong to think that. Nix came in 2009, and by 2010 was a major part of the draft process. If he wasn't, why did he get the GM job?

Nix has delivered the opposite of most expectations. He's done a decent job of working with the veteran help on the roster. But his drafts have been weak.

Yes it's wrong to think that. Nix came in 2009, and by 2010 was a major part of the draft process. If he wasn't, why did he get the GM job?

Nix has delivered the opposite of most expectations. He's done a decent job of working with the veteran help on the roster. But his drafts have been weak.

Agreed. But note that most of the notable free agents arrived after Whaley showed up.

Buddy has been tremendous at finding street free agents that have helped this team immensely. Urbik, Pears, Chandler, Rhindhart has all be good contributors on this team and 3 of them are starters. He also kept our good players. Guys like Johnson and Freddy and Fitz should be our best players at this point in their career and thus they were paid and kept. 5 years ago Johnson would be a 49er, Fred would be a patriot and Fitz would be a jet

Buddy has been tremendous at finding street free agents that have helped this team immensely. Urbik, Pears, Chandler, Rhindhart has all be good contributors on this team and 3 of them are starters. He also kept our good players. Guys like Johnson and Freddy and Fitz should be our best players at this point in their career and thus they were paid and kept. 5 years ago Johnson would be a 49er, Fred would be a patriot and Fitz would be a jet

All true and valid points. His drafts have sucked though. Maybe he needs better scouts...

All true and valid points. His drafts have sucked though. Maybe he needs better scouts...

Spiller would be a top back in this league if not for Freddy. Dareus appears to be a stud. Gilmore looks solid, Glenn and Graham look like keepers. Searcy is talented safety, Moats is a starter now

You cant predict injuries with Troupe and Carrington, you just can't

You couldnt use a better example then Fred a Patriot? thats like walking in on your parents slapping skins...an image in your head nobody ever wants :beer::cry:

Out of the 2010 draft we still have 5 players on the team...Moats is starting, Spiller is 1b RB, Carrington rotation, Easley is on the PS and Troup would be in the DT rotation if not on IR. Yes we lost a 5th, 6th and 2...7th rounders.

2011...8 players still onthe team with 4 starters including Hairston until Pears gets back and the rest valuable backup.

2012...We cut some player we would have kept in any other year because our talent is better.

All in all I can find little fault in Nix's drafts

It is hard to pinpoint the problem with the drafting because we don't know who influenced what pick. I always had a feeling spiller was pushed more by gailey. And I'm sure the the senior bowl players we picked were pushed by gailey. And.I have a feeling the graham pick was gaily. But these are all guesses on my part.

Overall, each draft his so different you can't really compare them. The first draft used all these high picks on small schoolers, and the next two were all sec players.

The best thing I can say about the nix drafts is so far none of the first rounders have been "busts" yet. We can say that isn't much to brag about since it isn't too difficult to screw up first rounders, but just look at the first rounders before nix.

But yeah, his drafts are a joke... Though I still am holding onto hope that there are at least 3 future starters in that class.

After Modrak was let go, we did bring in new scouts and overhauled the college scouting area. Yes Buddy had scouting responsibilities in 2009 and became GM in 2010 offseason prior to the draft, the work for the 2010 draft was mostly completed before he was promoted and with a team that he got rid of following that draft. He could only draft based off of the information they had. To think he had time to rescout all the possible players that he didn't scout is crazy considering he was working on bringing in Whaley and dumping Guy and reworking that side of the organization. Traditionally moves like this are made this way, the scouting work was mostly completed and he had to ride with what he had in that draft. Guy's repsonsibilities dealt with upcoming FAs and players already in the NFL - it is easy to rebuild that part first prior to FA beginning, whereas the college scouting area couldn't be rebuilt until after. The business cycle for that area is much different.

Does he get a full pass - that is debatable, but the success or failure has to be taken with a grain of salt and judging Modrak's previous drafts with his scouting department they produced abysmal drafts for us. Buddy could only draft based off the information he had available, which was most likely garbage.

Don't forget, Gailey had wanted to go 3-4 when he was hired, that heavily influenced the selection process in this draft. If we had stayed 43, Schobel might have stuck around, Troupe wouldn't have been selected in the 2nd and most likely Moats and Carrington wouldn't have been selected either.

Spiller would be a top back in this league if not for Freddy.

Wow. I wish that I was as confident as you. In his last 6 games he averaged 73 yards on the ground. Those are fairly decent stats, but he doesn't block well, and he drops some passes.

Decent back? Maybe. Top back? Imo he has way more to prove. WAY more.

Coach, here are the picks that seem to be ok, IMO:

2010:

Moats is doing fine for a 6th.

2011:

Dareus: A no-brainer but would Jauron have taken him? My guess is no.

Searcy: Might be ok; too early to tell.

Hairston: Wonderful pick in terms of when he was selected.

Rogers: A 7th rounder who I think is going to be a good player.

I think that his big mistakes were Spiller in 2010, and A. Williams in 2011, due to the "numerous offers to trade down."

Let's hope that these were good picks as well. Time will tell.

Darreus is Nix's best pick so far, even if a no-brainer. Gilmore seems to have great potential. For a high first round pick, I think Spiller has been a bit of a disappointment, but overall, Nix is doing a better job with our first round selections, with caveats that Darreus was the obvious pick and Gilmore has not played in the regular season yet. We should not forget that Maybin and McKelvin were our first picks in the two years prior.

We really need A. Williams and Sheppard to perform this year. Both play key positions. If they do not play well, you would have to give Nix a poor overall grade for the 2010 and 2011 drafts. Too early to grade the 2012 draft, but if Gilmore and Glenn play well as rookies, then this draft is on its way to being above average.

Not sure what we have with Searcy, Moats and Carrington. We will see.

Best recent draft was in 2009. Sure Maybin was a total bust for us, but Wood, Levitre and Byrd are all close to all-pro caliber players.

After Modrak was let go, we did bring in new scouts and overhauled the college scouting area. Yes Buddy had scouting responsibilities in 2009 and became GM in 2010 offseason prior to the draft, the work for the 2010 draft was mostly completed before he was promoted and with a team that he got rid of following that draft. He could only draft based off of the information they had. To think he had time to rescout all the possible players that he didn't scout is crazy considering he was working on bringing in Whaley and dumping Guy and reworking that side of the organization. Traditionally moves like this are made this way, the scouting work was mostly completed and he had to ride with what he had in that draft. Guy's repsonsibilities dealt with upcoming FAs and players already in the NFL - it is easy to rebuild that part first prior to FA beginning, whereas the college scouting area couldn't be rebuilt until after. The business cycle for that area is much different.

Does he get a full pass - that is debatable, but the success or failure has to be taken with a grain of salt and judging Modrak's previous drafts with his scouting department they produced abysmal drafts for us. Buddy could only draft based off the information he had available, which was most likely garbage.

Don't forget, Gailey had wanted to go 3-4 when he was hired, that heavily influenced the selection process in this draft. If we had stayed 43, Schobel might have stuck around, Troupe wouldn't have been selected in the 2nd and most likely Moats and Carrington wouldn't have been selected either.

I just can't fathom this. Buddy came in, changed coaching staffs AND defensive schemes. So you're saying he relied on scouting reports from the old regime - who were scouting for 4-3 defenders - in making selections to transition to a 3-4? There is no way he did that - and if he did do that, he's even more inept than I thought.

I just can't fathom this. Buddy came in, changed coaching staffs AND defensive schemes. So you're saying he relied on scouting reports from the old regime - who were scouting for 4-3 defenders - in making selections to transition to a 3-4? There is no way he did that - and if he did do that, he's even more inept than I thought.

well if the shoe fits - -

Don't know about the rest of you, but the switch to and from the 3-4 gives me pause but also impresses me on some other levels. I understand what they were looking for when they did it, but they also weren't really able to assemble the right players with the right kind of coaching to aid in that transition. Bringing in Wannstedt and switching to the 4-3 seems like an admission of failure but it's also a smart way to capitalize on what are arguably the two best players on the defense right now, and to get them on the field. It also opened up the space for Mario to come here. The LBs are still a work in progress and I hope they are truly able to benefit from some stout play in front of them this year. Hopefully we get a better sense in the next year of Buddy's ability to draft for this defense. So far the results have been middling aside from the obvious pick of Dareus.

It is hard to pinpoint the problem with the drafting because we don't know who influenced what pick. I always had a feeling spiller was pushed more by gailey. And I'm sure the the senior bowl players we picked were pushed by gailey. And.I have a feeling the graham pick was gaily. But these are all guesses on my part.

Overall, each draft his so different you can't really compare them. The first draft used all these high picks on small schoolers, and the next two were all sec players.

The best thing I can say about the nix drafts is so far none of the first rounders have been "busts" yet. We can say that isn't much to brag about since it isn't too difficult to screw up first rounders, but just look at the first rounders before nix.

But yeah, his drafts are a joke... Though I still am holding onto hope that there are at least 3 future starters in that class.

First rounders are screwed up all the time. That "it only happens to us" attitude is a big part of what's wrong with the perspective on this board. Very little around the league sense. Being 3-3 in the first round is not a "meh" thing. The late rounders are often cut and bounce around. I'd say a solid 50% or so of the 4th rounders in easleys class are already cut. Some of those 4th rounders were cut before their first season. What we are seeing here is not unique, and generally, I'd venture the drafting has been average to above average - despite fans being upset on cut day.