Statistical analysis of Super Bowl winners and pre-season performance

In fact, your statistical references are so over-simplified that they're not valid. The only conclusion you can draw from your bar graph is that teams score points in the preseason.

Thanks, came here to post this, probably from a different angle though. There is no meaningful analysis that can be drawn from these numbers, they aren't apples to apples comparisons since those first teams all had varied playing time/plays.

Points per play or series might be somewhat more useful but still bad. Yards per play for starters would say something. Points in preseason are the thing that are literally meaningless, and most subject to the realities of preseason play and small sample size.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean well...but you really need to learn more about statistics than simple bar graphs over limited sample sets. Try figuring the correlation coefficient for preseason record and regular season records over the past ten years for all teams...that'll be a good homework assignment. :devil: (I'd do it, but I don't have the time. Start by entering all the data into an excel spreadsheet; PM me if you have any questions from there.)

Yikes... your suggestion sounds like waaaaay too much work. I'm pleased the OP did as much as he did because I wouldn't have spent that much time on a post. And, while the sample is small, it does hint at something.

And, by the way, the Saints and Pack scored a lot in preseason and then scored a lot in the regular season. They got to the SB on the strenght of their offenses. But that's not the only way to get the SB. I'm just hoping our balance of competent O, competent D, and competent ST is enough to get us into the playoffs. Our lack of scoring doesn't concern me yet.

Yikes... your suggestion sounds like waaaaay too much work. I'm pleased the OP did as much as he did because I wouldn't have spent that much time on a post. And, while the sample is small, it does hint at something.

And, by the way, the Saints and Pack scored a lot in preseason and then scored a lot in the regular season. They got to the SB on the strenght of their offenses. But that's not the only way to get the SB. I'm just hoping our balance of competent O, competent D, and competent ST is enough to get us into the playoffs. Our lack of scoring doesn't concern me yet.

Why do you think I'm not doing them. :D It's a hell of a lot of data collection - I've tried.

And FWIW, LS...I did like your Jackson vs. Thigpen post (thin...but meaningful, at least). Just this one, not so much...too thin to be useful.

The GIants were considered the best the first year they won? By who? Does this make the opinions of ESPN and the like legit if they considered a team the best? Somehow I doubt your words and would love for you give evidence to backup your claim.

I have some stats too:

Preseason Win % | Regular Season Win %

1.000 | 0.495

0.750+ | 0.508

0.500+ | 0.535

0.400+ | 0.533

0.250+ | 0.442

0.000+ | 0.450

0.000 | 0.473

I excluded the Giants parenthetically.

Preseason results do not guarantee regular season success or failure. The only thing that matters in preseason are injuries. All of our starters are good to go a week from Sunday. End of story. We are officially 0-0.

Professional statisticians know that you only need to do as much to compiling as needed to get a result. Amateurs like to compile loads of information in the thought that it helps the end analysis. Sometimes it does, often times it doesn't.

Some said that the amount of plays varied, so the results are not valid. Not really. The plays were all very close, plus or minus 5 and the teams who scored more invariably had some more plays due to longer drives.

Some say that the analysis is flawed because you don't have a comparison to teams who fared poorly, and those people simply missed the point. The point being that preseason is not indicative of regular season performance. Therefore, supplying bottom feeder numbers is not needed.

Good statisticians can draw conclusions from less information. Poor ones need the kitchen sink to validate their argument.

Why do you think I'm not doing them. :D It's a hell of a lot of data collection - I've tried.

And FWIW, LS...I did like your Jackson vs. Thigpen post (thin...but meaningful, at least). Just this one, not so much...too thin to be useful.

I respectfully disagree with you.