Condi's speech

Holy crap dude, did you even think before you wrote that?

I didn't listen to her whole speech but I heard bits of it on the radio on the way to work this morning. Was it her voice or the echo of the convention hall but am I the only one that couldn't stop thinking about Linus' monologue on the meaning of Christmas in Charle Brown's Christmas?

It may have sounded like Linus, and it may have lit some coils in some hearts, but, honestly, the woman has either a very short memory, or is full of ****. I like her, generally, so I will write it off as short memory...I have that problem sometimes too!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Condi's speech:

“Dictators in Iran and Syria butcher their own people and threaten the security of the region; China and Russia prevent a response.” And the world wonders, where does America stand?”

"There is a “weariness” among Americans — “a sense that we have carried these burdens long enough.” But, she continued, “if we are not inspired to lead again, one of two things will happen: No one will lead, and that will foster chaos; or others who do not share our values will fill the vacuum.”

We must not allow the chance to attain energy independence to slip from our grasp. We have a great gift of oil and gas reserves here in North America that must be and can be developed while protecting our environment.”

Ours has never been a narrative of grievance and entitlement. We have not believed that I am doing poorly because you are doing well. We have not been envious of one another and jealous of each other’s success. Ours has been a belief in opportunity and a constant battle — long and hard — to extend the benefits of the American dream to all — without regard to circumstances of birth.”

"We need to have high standards for our students. Self-esteem comes from achievement, not from lax standards and false praise"

From Condi's speech:

“Dictators in Iran and Syria butcher their own people and threaten the security of the region; China and Russia prevent a response.” And the world wonders, where does America stand?”

"There is a “weariness” among Americans — “a sense that we have carried these burdens long enough.” But, she continued, “if we are not inspired to lead again, one of two things will happen: No one will lead, and that will foster chaos; or others who do not share our values will fill the vacuum.”

We must not allow the chance to attain energy independence to slip from our grasp. We have a great gift of oil and gas reserves here in North America that must be and can be developed while protecting our environment.”

Ours has never been a narrative of grievance and entitlement. We have not believed that I am doing poorly because you are doing well. We have not been envious of one another and jealous of each other’s success. Ours has been a belief in opportunity and a constant battle — long and hard — to extend the benefits of the American dream to all — without regard to circumstances of birth.”

"We need to have high standards for our students. Self-esteem comes from achievement, not from lax standards and false praise"

Condi is clearly out of touch with modern America.

Best part of Condi's speech was immigration reform a huge issue to her home state and elsewhere. When will mainstream Republicans get onboard the reality train?

I am interested to hear Romney speak to this issue as well. Also, what his plan is for Afganistan...

TAMPA, Fla. — Democrats are acknowledging GOP vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan gave an effective performance Wednesday even as they launch an all out assault on his honesty.

“He played the role of vice presidential attack dog. I think he did it very well,” said President Obama’s deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter on Thursday.

But Cutter also criticized Ryan, saying his "lies" and "vitriol" are not what the American people deserve.

“He can deliver a plan that will be bad for America and do it with a smile,” said Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.), who has sparred with Ryan for years in the House Budget Committee.

“I believe Paul Ryan’s family’s story is compelling. It’s a wonderful story … I think all of us were touched by it and we should be,” Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) said.

http://thehill.com/conventions-2012/gop-convention-tampa/246703-dems-acknowledge-ryan-gave-an-effective-speech

That is about as close as praise as you will ever hear from the other side.

Just for giggles, I tuned into MSNBC just to see the reaction to Ryan. Other than Matthews who apparently was in the middle of some nonsensical tirade when his mic finally cut in, they were surprisingly positive about it. Except for that smug prick with the glasses who looks like Edward Norton (the guy giggling to himself when explaining that the GOP were silly for calling out Obama on the "you didn't build that" statement a few months back), Then I saw Al Sharpton and actually laughed out loud. That's when I turned it. Really, they lose EVERY shred of credibility (haha) they ever might have had by allowing that buffoon any airtime...

Why does everyone feel that Chris Matthews is super liberal?

I know, for a fact, that he voted for W.Bush in 2000 and I'm 90% sure that he voted for him in 2004. His older brother and many in his family are very ideologically conservative.

Is it cause he worked for Tip O'Neil? Is it because he was very partial to Obama in 2008? Or it because he bashes the current crop of GOP'ers?

I've always looked at him as an anomaly. I wouldn't consider him a "friend" or even an "associate," but I've talked politics with him on several occassions while waiting for a table at Tony Chengs in D.C. or on one of his visits to Georgetown (he'll be there again in October if anyone is interested). He is very willing to talk politics and he is not as transparent or static as you might think.

You'd be surprised at how much more depth these folks have if you're willing to not pigeon-hole them based on t.v. personality "in the moment" soundbytes or based on your predilection for certain cable news networks.

Edited by Juror#8

I know, for a fact, that he voted for W.Bush in 2000 and I'm 90% sure that he voted for him in 2004. His older brother and many in his family are very ideologically conservative.

Is it cause he worked for Tip O'Neil? Is it because he was very partial to Obama in 2008? Or it because he bashes the current crop of GOP'ers?

I've always looked at him as an anomaly. I wouldn't consider him a "fried" or even an "associate," but I've talked politics with him on several occassions while waiting for a table at Tony Chengs in D.C. or on one of his visits to Georgetown (he'll be there again in October if anyone is interested). He is very willing to talk politics and he is not as transparent or static as you might think.

You'd be surprised at how much more depth these folks have if you're willing to not pigeon-hole them based on t.v. personality "in the moment" soundbytes or based on your predilection for certain cable news networks.

He's created that label for himself. Remember "The Coach", Chuck Dickerson? I had lunch with him several years ago. He was a reasonable, calm, polite guy. After lunch he was interviewed on camera and his transformation into a nutcase was instant. Anyway, it's what Chris Mathews says on air that makes him a liberal.

I've always looked at him as an anomaly. I wouldn't consider him a "friend" or even an "associate," but I've talked politics with him on several occassions while waiting for a table at Tony Chengs in D.C. or on one of his visits to Georgetown (he'll be there again in October if anyone is interested). He is very willing to talk politics and he is not as transparent or static as you might think.

:lol:

Seriously

:lol:

He's created that label for himself. Remember "The Coach", Chuck Dickerson? I had lunch with him several years ago. He was a reasonable, calm, polite guy. After lunch he was interviewed on camera and his transformation into a nutcase was instant. Anyway, it's what Chris Mathews says on air that makes him a liberal.

Assuming that you believe me that he voted for George W. Bush (which I GUARANTEE you he did in 2000 cause he told me so), how do you reconcile the ideology with the voting history?

Maybe people ebb and flow and one person's concept of political alignment or ideology won't necessarily fit anothers...

Edited by Juror#8

If they don't want to be pigeon-holed based on their TV personas, they should show their depth on-screen. Bitching about Matthews being thought of as liberal is like bitching about me being though of as an !@#$ for what I post here.

(which I GUARANTEE you he did in 2000 cause he told me so),

Think about that a minute...

If they don't want to be pigeon-holed based on their TV personas, they should show their depth on-screen. Bitching about Matthews being thought of as liberal is like bitching about me being though of as an !@#$ for what I post here.

Think about that a minute...

I'm not bitching about it...it's just interesting cause I know slightly more about him that some others. He was a bit of a target for Media matters during the Bush Administration:

'Matthews weighed in on the filibuster debate in May, declaring: "I think the Democrats started this fight. I think they did. ... You know, I think Democrats should win more elections. That will solve their problem." Days later, in discussing the Senate compromise agreement to avert the "nuclear option" to ban judicial filibusters, Matthews repeatedly espoused Republican talking points, claiming, among other things, that because of the recent bipartisan agreement aimed at averting the "nuclear option," Democrats can stop "pouting and bitching ... [and] actually participate in legislation now"; that Republicans might "get double-crossed or screwed by the Democrats"; and that the Republican position that every judicial nominee deserves an up-or-down vote "sounds great to me."' [Hardball, 5/18/05]

http://mediamatters....the-year/134530

He was their "Misinformer of the Year in 2005.

This comports more with the Chris Matthews that you can speak with in-person - a very enigmatic political personality.

I don't know...I just see it a bit differently. I guess his political depth admits itself over a longer period of time than some people's attention spans are willing to spare.

Edited by Juror#8