Drafting the passing game...a look at the talent

dayman

Where you are drafted doesn't really mean a whole lot. Where everyone on a unit was drafted may mean a little bit more. It's late and I can't sleep so what the hell. Let's have a look.

Fitz - 7

Jackson - 2

Johnson- 7

Jones – undrafted (8)

Nelson – undrafted (8)

Graham – 3rd

Hagan – 3rd

Martin – undrafted (8)

Kamar Aiken – undrafted (8)

Naaman Roosevelt – undrafted (8)

Marcus Easley – 4th

Chandler – 4th

Total average – 5.8

Total average minus a rookie and guy who signed yesterday – 6.5

“Starters” (taken as: fitz, Johnson, jones, nelson, chandler) – 6.8

hmmm...we have basically a starting 3 WR crew with TE that is basically 7th round "talent." This comes from a talent pool as a hole that is not much better...and w/ out a rookie and backup QB signed yesterday is basically the same. Obviously that's not the whole story, not by a long shot. But something to think about when we go out there and struggle. In a pass happy, score at all costs league, this is where what we have came from in a league wide draft....basically the last round.

Edited by TheNewBills

Looking at the Pats for some perspective...great offense w/ a few famous low picks playing...

Brady: 6th

Lloyd: 4th

Welker: Undrafted

Branch: 2nd

Gronk: 2nd

Hernandez: 4th

Edelman: 7th

Slater: 5th

Ebert: 7th

Holley: Undrafted

Taylor: Undrafted

Averages a 5.5

starters - (taken as: brady, branch, gronk, hernandez, welker, lloyd) - 4.3

Also a look at some panthers picks I didn't bother doing pats or panthers...on a different board where I posted this fans of other teams just started looking at their own stuff and posting...just good to see some picks of other teams...obviously this here is just offense in general ours would look different if I did that. Just figured I would post although it means nothing really.

cam: 1st

double trouble: both 1st (their RBS)

tolbert: undrafted

smitty: 3rd

lafell: 3rd

olsen: 1st

gross: 1st

silatolu: 2nd

kalil: 1st

hangartner: 6th i think

bell: undrafted

average is a 3rd rounder... (i did bell and tolbert as 8s)

Two questions; why isn't Spiller on this list?

Why are you assuming this squad will struggle when they performed similarly last pre-season as well and yet were the 7th ranked overall team in the NFL come week 9?

I assume they will struggle when it's all said and done b/c I don't think we're very talented. It's that simple. I'm not bashing I hope we do ok but I don't see a lot of talent at QB or WR on this team and don't expect a great offense throughout the entire course of the season. I think we can get hot, and if the defense plays well and gets timely turnovers we can win some games maybe even creep into playoffs...but the bottom line IMO (people can disagree of course) is that when I look at this passing game...I don't see much or expect much even if we find a way to string a few games together at some point.

And here was an interesting post going the other way re: picks haha:

Jacksonville Jaguars: 2011 season

Blaine Gabbert- 1st

MJD: 2nd

Mike Thomas: 4th

Jason Hill: 3rd

Marcedes Lewis: 1st

(Throw in some random 3rd string WR): 8

Average of 3.16; 2.2 if you remove random undrafted guy.

A 3.16 was the worst offense in the league last year.

...I won't post any more but SF has a lot of 1s and sucks also (as a 9ers fan posted on a different board)..and like I said to start w/ it's not some proof or anything...it's just interesting to look at our team and realize that compared to draft itself we basically have a "free" passing game in terms of draft picks....so when we struggle...I'm no surprised. Investment doesn't always pay off...and there are steals..but when across the board you have made no investment that is still on the team or contributing then how can you complain?

Edited by TheNewBills

Where you are drafted doesn't really mean a whole lot. Where everyone on a unit was drafted may mean a little bit more. It's late and I can't sleep so what the hell. Let's have a look.

Fitz - 7

Jackson - 2

Johnson- 7

Jones – undrafted (8)

Nelson – undrafted (8)

Graham – 3rd

Hagan – 3rd

Martin – undrafted (8)

Kamar Aiken – undrafted (8)

Naaman Roosevelt – undrafted (8)

Marcus Easley – 4th

Chandler – 4th

Total average – 5.8

Total average minus a rookie and guy who signed yesterday – 6.5

“Starters” (taken as: fitz, Johnson, jones, nelson, chandler) – 6.8

hmmm...we have basically a starting 3 WR crew with TE that is basically 7th round "talent." This comes from a talent pool as a hole that is not much better...and w/ out a rookie and backup QB signed yesterday is basically the same. Obviously that's not the whole story, not by a long shot. But something to think about when we go out there and struggle. In a pass happy, score at all costs league, this is where what we have came from in a league wide draft....basically the last round.

Time to start drafting offense, We've been drafting Defense the past decade (besides RBs and OL) we need to get some QBs and WR/TEs in here.

It rarely if ever matters where you draft players at any position. What you have to do is draft well, and a couple of your picks, at 1-7, have to turn out to be studs. And you have to coach them well. And you have to surround them with other pretty decent players. Sure, you're supposed to hit on your #1 but it really doesn't mean anything whatsoever if one year your #1 sucks and your #5 is Kyle Williams. It's the other 5 players that make or break your draft.

Stevie Johnson was a great pick. He makes that draft have a top tier player at his position. Not in the top 5 but a very good player every team in the league would love to have. It doesnt matter four years later where he was picked. What matters is, he was the aberration, not the norm, regardless of round.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Kelly the Dog said it well. You just have to draft well no matter the round and coach the new guys well. In next years draft it will be nice to go offense with a healthy addition of LB. I suppose this goes without saying. This strategy could be altered somewhat if there are defensive studs available when our picks come up but it's almost time to start upgrading the O.

It rarely if ever matters where you draft players at any position. What you have to do is draft well, and a couple of your picks, at 1-7, have to turn out to be studs. And you have to coach them well. And you have to surround them with other pretty decent players. Sure, you're supposed to hit on your #1 but it really doesn't mean anything whatsoever if one year your #1 sucks and your #5 is Kyle Williams. It's the other 5 players that make or break your draft.

Stevie Johnson was a great pick. He makes that draft have a top tier player at his position. Not in the top 5 but a very good player every team in the league would love to have. It doesnt matter four years later where he was picked. What matters is, he was the aberration, not the norm, regardless of round.

...so there's 1 guy....time to spend some high picks on O and hit on them.

This is an exercise in futility. After the exceptional, very-top-of-the-draft players, the rest are all very similar in talent. The difference comes in coaching. Scouting is an imperfect science despite the opinion that GMs are supposed to have ESP.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot