Jon "Bones" Jones article

Rob's House

http://msn.foxsports...er-shift-082312

The "toughest man in the world" pulled out of a fight for fear of taking a beating by Chael Sonnen.

Jones might have the leverage on Dana White right now that he's the champion, but in a few years when his star is fading he may find, like TO is learning, that it's not smart to burn your bridges, because when your talent fades, you may not be worth the headache any more.

Edited by Rob's House

No no no please don't buy Dana whites load of bs. Dana has been putting out substandard ppvs almost all year. Instead of charging fans 54.95 every 3 weeks he could space it and offer a better product. One that wouldn't require canceling an entire event bc of the loss of the main event.

There were so many solutions that didn't involve scapegoating bones. He could have offered the ppv at a discount - nit paying the top 2 fighters certainly lowered the production cost. Or let the show go on.

I am disgusted that Dana white did this and shocked that so many are buying this load of bs. He prepared to fight Henderson and 8 days before the fight (3 of training) that couldn't happen. Everyone is mad at bones but white won't mention the fighters that ducked jones choosing instead to ruin the rep of his second biggest star. Sonnen does not deserve the fight. Bones doesn't deserve the negative press/blame.

No no no please don't buy Dana whites load of bs. Dana has been putting out substandard ppvs almost all year. Instead of charging fans 54.95 every 3 weeks he could space it and offer a better product. One that wouldn't require canceling an entire event bc of the loss of the main event.

There were so many solutions that didn't involve scapegoating bones. He could have offered the ppv at a discount - nit paying the top 2 fighters certainly lowered the production cost. Or let the show go on.

I am disgusted that Dana white did this and shocked that so many are buying this load of bs. He prepared to fight Henderson and 8 days before the fight (3 of training) that couldn't happen. Everyone is mad at bones but white won't mention the fighters that ducked jones choosing instead to ruin the rep of his second biggest star. Sonnen does not deserve the fight. Bones doesn't deserve the negative press/blame.

I could be wrong, but I think another big fight on the card was scratched due to injuries as well. As far as Sonnen deserving the fight, that's not really the issue. He's put up better performances against Anderson Silva than anyone in the UFC. I'd say he's as deserving as any scratch replacement.

Sonnen jones wouldn't be a bad fight but I don't see why bones had to fight him especially with only 3 days of prep. For the legend he is trying to build it wasn't a risk worth taking imo. I'm fully with bones on this one and again can't believe white threw him under the bus (although bones did cost him a bunch of money lol)

Sonnen jones wouldn't be a bad fight but I don't see why bones had to fight him especially with only 3 days of prep. For the legend he is trying to build it wasn't a risk worth taking imo. I'm fully with bones on this one and again can't believe white threw him under the bus (although bones did cost him a bunch of money lol)

On a second read through his words don't seem so bad. Maybe I'm reacting more to the tone of the article than his actual words. I'm still a little bummed b/c I'd much rather see him fight Sonnen, who's in the twilight of his career and would be an interesting match-up, than Vitor Belfort, but I can't blame Jones for that.

If the UFC wanted to come out looking like heroes they would have let the rest of the card to on Fox for free. AskIng fighters to take fights without prep time is unfair to the fighters and potentially really damaging to their careers.

On a second read through his words don't seem so bad. Maybe I'm reacting more to the tone of the article than his actual words. I'm still a little bummed b/c I'd much rather see him fight Sonnen, who's in the twilight of his career and would be an interesting match-up, than Vitor Belfort, but I can't blame Jones for that.

I thought he was scheduled for machida at 152? Did it switch to Belford or as a hypothetical?

I think sonnen should be happy that bones didn't take the fight. Publicly he can pump up the next fight by inferring bones ducked him (which may or may not be true) also if sonnen got run by jones quickly his career would have been over. Losing to those 2 would have made him a lame duck in the 2 divisions he is best suited for.

I just don't like Dana playing it that way. I don't know if his tone has shifted but when this first happened it was a pretty fierce flogging. The poster above me (phone won't let me multi quote) had a great idea. This event could have happened still, the UFC just couldn't have charged 54.95 for it (have you seen how bad the last 2-3 have been) without a uproar. Advertisers I'm sure could have been pulled together and huge numbers done with a "free ppv" would have been great for the sport.

On a complete aside this has quite the funny wwe/wwf Vince McMahon vs. stone cold feel to it lol.

http://msn.foxsports...er-shift-082312

The "toughest man in the world" pulled out of a fight for fear of taking a beating by Chael Sonnen.

Jones might have the leverage on Dana White right now that he's the champion, but in a few years when his star is fading he may find, like TO is learning, that it's not smart to burn your bridges, because when your talent fades, you may not be worth the headache any more.

Jones had nothing to gain from this fight so it was a good business decision. He'd beat Sonnen's ass but it wasn't worth the risk. As far burning bridges goes Danna doesn't care about the fighters as long as they can fight so Jones made the best decision given the circumstances.

All of this.

And where is the outrage for Machida not taking on Jones.

It sure would be nice not to pay for 2 events a month , I'll tell you that, so I was kinda glad it was cancelled.

I wouldn't take the fight on 8 days notice either. It's the equivalent of preparing for a puncher only to be thrown a speedy counterpuncher at the last second.

To me, it's the biggest issue the UFC faces. This happens far too often and no champion should be made to look bad because they're looking out for their best interest. The UFC would be better off with stronger cards from top to bottom so the loss of one fight doesn't cause a cancellation.

I wouldn't take the fight on 8 days notice either. It's the equivalent of preparing for a puncher only to be thrown a speedy counterpuncher at the last second.

To me, it's the biggest issue the UFC faces. This happens far too often and no champion should be made to look bad because they're looking out for their best interest. The UFC would be better off with stronger cards from top to bottom so the loss of one fight doesn't cause a cancellation.

Yes a million times yes! This is the drum I have been banging since the news broke. Really Dos Santos/Mir was the last good ppv that was solid from top down. It seems that the strategy is: top fighters are such a draw they have weak undercards. Except pumping out a ppv every 3 weeks has made it so every championship fight is a main event. Barao/Faber is a co-main event at best as is maynard/henderson. They could have combined the 2 and had a much better show imo. Of course they would have made less money but that's not my concern :flirt:

Fewer PPV's is going to inflate the price, if they wanna make the same amount of money.. I don't follow the sport close to know, but if every PPV costs roughly $50, isn't having them less often going to drive the price upwards of the $150 range. Even if I followed the sport as closely as I do football, I'd have a hard time shelling out that kind of cash.

something tells me it doesn't COST anywhere near $50/show....~$50 is simply the marginal price they can get away with charging people to watch it

Fewer PPV's is going to inflate the price, if they wanna make the same amount of money.. I don't follow the sport close to know, but if every PPV costs roughly $50, isn't having them less often going to drive the price upwards of the $150 range. Even if I followed the sport as closely as I do football, I'd have a hard time shelling out that kind of cash.

something tells me it doesn't COST anywhere near $50/show....~$50 is simply the marginal price they can get away with charging people to watch it

Ok, I'll grant you that.. I'm not too concerned on what it costs Dana White to put a show on, nearly as much as what it costs ME to watch it, though..

I realize that just because they would have say.. 1/3 as many shows this way, that they wouldn't HAVE to mark the price up my 300% to make the same profit margin, but I would think the company's investors would sure appreciate it.

Besides, if every PPV UFC fight had all these awesome matchup on the undercard.. What the hell would all the marginal fighters do/look forward to? I know the Bills don't play on Monday Night every week, but they still get to play on Sunday. :thumbsup:

Ok, I'll grant you that.. I'm not too concerned on what it costs Dana White to put a show on, nearly as much as what it costs ME to watch it, though..

I realize that just because they would have say.. 1/3 as many shows this way, that they wouldn't HAVE to mark the price up my 300% to make the same profit margin, but I would think the company's investors would sure appreciate it.

Besides, if every PPV UFC fight had all these awesome matchup on the undercard.. What the hell would all the marginal fighters do/look forward to? I know the Bills don't play on Monday Night every week, but they still get to play on Sunday. :thumbsup:

UFC on Fox

UFC on Fuel

UFC on FX

UFC on podunk channell that you have no idea what number it is

UFC on Fox

UFC on Fuel

UFC on FX

UFC on podunk channell that you have no idea what number it is

This the way it generally works now? Unless you're an upper-echelon fighter in your weight class, you got no shot at an undercard fight during UFC PPVs.. just curious.. I don't know.

This the way it generally works now? Unless you're an upper-echelon fighter in your weight class, you got no shot at an undercard fight during UFC PPVs.. just curious.. I don't know.

Quite the opposite actually. For a ppv it is generally made up of 4 free fights that air on one of the channels I listed, followed by the start of the ppv which is more middling fighters in the top 8-15 of their weight class, followed by 1 maybe 2 (if Dana White blesses us) of 2 top 5 fighters generally for a belt. Problem is not all divisons have a champ worth seeing. Lightweight/flyweight title matches shouldn't be main events bc they just aren't the style people want. It's a ton of lay and pray.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love UFC/MMA. I just don't like how they do their ppv. Yes it is hard to argue with their success but I think they could be so much more succesful. With boxing becoming a joke there is a void in the gladiator sport arena. Joining up with ESPN (blasphemy I know) would be an excellent strategic move on their part. My problem as alluded to earlier is they aren't growing their market share as succesfully as they could - they are just wringing every penny from those of us that follow it.

You prepare for a fight for several months for a reason. Its ridiculous to expect anyone who puts their career and life on the line to step into the ring without proper time to prepare. Have Sonnen and Jones fight 4 months from now.

Total agreement. Especially Bones who truly does pinpoint a fighter's weakness and exploit it. He is such a well rounded fighter he can fight any style anyone wants. Add to the fact he is building quite a resume and could go down as one of the greatest of all time - it doesn't make sense for him to risk it.

• 1 month later...

Just want to add this into the topic as I don't think it merits it's own thread:

Silva says 'no way' to fighting Jones

So is Silva "soft"? He is fighting this weekend at 205 so it wouldn't be out of the question to fight in this weight class... (Of course I don't think Silva is soft but I've noticed a severe lack of people taking aim at Silva for this in the media)