rothlesberger blames bills field for decastro injury

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"We don't obviously know -- well, I don't know what the official word is. This is a great field, but it's FieldTurf, and it's just killing guys because they can't get their feet out of the ground, and it's just another reason we should get rid of FieldTurf."

Could he be onto something? Could this explain the bills league leading injury stats ?

I wouldn't assert that we've had a huge number of leg injuries at home. So generally I wouldn't count on it as the reason.

Go through the injuries that really effected us last year -

Wood- road

Fitz- ribs

Stevie- just generally beat up

Freddie - road

Lindell - shoulder

Easley - heart

Troup - back

KW- none spur that he's had for awhile

You get the idea. Our list is likely, in most seasons, tied to being out of the playoffs early- so you don't rush guys back, or hold them on the 53 for January if hurt.

How about the 300lbs. that fell on the back of his leg? No factor?

I think the idea is when that happens, on field turf your foot gets caught more often so your leg gets twisted up funny under that weight. Weird thread. Are we really this protective over someone talking about the field turf?

I wouldn't assert that we've had a huge number of leg injuries at home. So generally I wouldn't count on it as the reason.

Go through the injuries that really effected us last year -

Wood- road

Fitz- ribs

Stevie- just generally beat up

Freddie - road

Lindell - shoulder

Easley - heart

Troup - back

KW- none spur that he's had for awhile

You get the idea. Our list is likely, in most seasons, tied to being out of the playoffs early- so you don't rush guys back, or hold them on the 53 for January if hurt.

I think the idea is when that happens, on field turf your foot gets caught more often so your leg gets twisted up funny under that weight. Weird thread. Are we really this protective over someone talking about the field turf?

But it is hard and pretty (but the enzones should be red).

I think it's stupid to blame a field for an injury, when a 300# player falls on someone's leg. And when a 300# guy falls one someone's leg, that leg will get caught and injured no matter what the surface, just like it did with Wood in Jax, which was a grass field.

I think it's stupid to blame a field for an injury, when a 300# player falls on someone's leg. And when a 300# guy falls one someone's leg, that leg will get caught and injured no matter what the surface, just like it did with Wood in Jax, which was a grass field.

Doc,

It's not like the field just jumped up and bit him but that certain field types make the probability go up isn't an absurd commentary. He likely is going with his gut that guys hurt their legs more on this type. No big deal.

Edited by NoSaint

He needs to go back and look at the tape. DeCastro simply got trucked by Dareus. None the less, this was a very disappointing game. Vince Young looked as lost as he usually does. Fitzpatrick looked pedestrian. So much for the first game with them following a "plan".

Big Ben should blame Marcell Dareus for completely dominating David DeCastro....not the turf.
I was going to say something along the same line. Maybe DeCastro should learn not to get blown off the line and shoved 15 feet back into Roethlesberger... Maybe Ben should start there with his criticism, then move to the field conditions.
How about the 300lbs. that fell on the back of his leg? No factor?

Exactly right. DeCastro got owned on that play and it's unfortunate for him that he suffered such a devastating injury.

Stupid comment by Big Ben.

As usual, Roethlisberger should just STFU and play QB. He's a Neanderthal in cleats.

Doc,

It's not like the field just jumped up and bit him but that certain field types make the probability go up isn't an absurd commentary. He likely is going with his gut that guys hurt their legs more on this type. No big deal.

If he had said "artificial turf makes the probability of that type of injury higher, but he tore his ACL because his line mate fell on his leg," I wouldn't have had a problem with it. But he blamed the turf for it and that's why it was a dumb statement.

If he had said "artificial turf makes the probability of that type of injury higher, but he tore his ACL because his line mate fell on his leg," I wouldn't have had a problem with it. But he blamed the turf for it and that's why it was a dumb statement.

Here's where the comment is coming from essentially:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/12/study-finds-acl-injuries-more-common-on-fieldturf/

He worded it poorly, but I think players very much associate this turf type with acl injuries.

http://profootballta...n-on-fieldturf/

He worded it poorly, but I think players very much associate this turf type with acl injuries.

It's well-known that ACL injuries seem to happen more frequently on artificial turf. But I'd like to know whether those studying it looked at the mechanism of injury, or just saw "ACL injury" and "game played on turf"? Because what happened to DeCastro I would not blame on the surface.

http://profootballta...n-on-fieldturf/

There's no doubt that in a perfect world every stadium would have natural grass. Maybe in a decade he should take it up with his Union who stupidly negotiated a 10 year agreement. Bottom-line: The turf wasn't the deciding factor in DeCastro's injury. He was bull-rushed and crumpled like a cheap suit. Unfortunately, injuries happen...artificial turf or not.

People have been picking on the DL for the pass rush "disappearing" during the long Steeler drive before half time but I remember several maximum protection passes vs 4 man ruses where the receivers still got wide open or Roethlisberger threaded the needle. That's on the DBs. You can't expect 4 men to beat 7 in protection quickly. You expect that 3 WR can't get open vs 7 in coverage. If the coverage can't hold up then the answer is to blitz to keep the pressure up, but usually when a team has to max protect vs 4 it's not good for their passing game.

Yeah - that last drive before the half was one I didn't attribute to the pass rush, or lack of, but rather, it looked like our CB's and safeties were giving them a 15 yard cushion the whole damn field - which they were until about the 30 yard area. Any skille QB - which Rothlisberger is - is going to be able to make strike after strike of ten to twenty yard gains when he sees the secondary giving a ten to 15 yard cushion - the Prevent defense only prevents a 50 yard pass - but it gives up the underneath stuff, and that is what Pittsburgh took the whole way down the field. It was just plain bad play calling, if the wish was to keep Pittsburgh out of the endzone. Who knows, though? Maybe Wanny wanted to see if there were kinks in his Prevent alignment? I keep getting the impression the Bills coaches weren't trying to win these preseason games.

If the Bills had picked Decastro most of you guys would be screaming that it was a horrible pick because he is obviously "injury-prone." But because he was picked by the Steelers, it was likely the fieldturf at the Ralph and it is so sad and unfortunate. WTF?????

Pittsburgh's 1st round pick is reportedly done for the year after suffering what is being called "at least" a torn MCL in yesterday's game. Knew it was bad as I saw him writhing around on the ground grabbing his knee in pain...reminded me of watching Jim Kelly do the same thing many years ago...

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/08/26/david-decastro-injured-his-acl-and-mcl-could-be-severe/

On ESPN they said it was only a torn MCL, and that DeCastro could come back half way through the season. It usually takes 3+ months to come back from one of those so it would be late November before he could come back. I think that they likely IR him.