/dev/null

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they would have to get there for the 1st time

much easier to stage the spreading of ashes on the Moon in a movie studio

- just like how they "landed" on the Moon the first time

Not sure if you're being serious or funny, but this is funny either way!

Even as somebody who didn't live through the moon landing, this cartoon from the NYT choked me up a little.

http://i.imgur.com/1PH29.jpg

That is awesome!

DEATH OF NEIL ARMSTRONG

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

As a mark of respect for the memory of Neil Armstrong, I hereby order, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, that on the day of his interment, the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset on such day*. I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same length of time at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-seventh day of August, in the year of our Lord two thousand twelve, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-seventh.

BARACK OBAMA

*The internment date of Neil Armstrong

is set for Friday, August 31

Edited by Just Jack
fixed date

DEATH OF NEIL ARMSTRONG

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

As a mark of respect for the memory of Neil Armstrong, I hereby order, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, that on the day of his interment, the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset on such day*. I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same length of time at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-seventh day of August, in the year of our Lord two thousand twelve, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-seventh.

BARACK OBAMA

*The internment date of Neil Armstrong

is set for Friday, August 31

Well it's about goddamned time. That only took a couple of days to figure out.

Did they not find room for golf clubs?

There is typically an allowance - very small - for personal items. (Not that any manned missions are going to Mars any time soon.)

But human ashes weigh around 5 pounds after cremation, give or take. That's a pretty big chunk of the weight budget for even a lunar mission. NASA puts PR stuff on missions all the time, but they're usually very lightweight (there's TWO 9/11 memorials on Mars right now - Spirit and Curiosity have "memorial" components that probably added a couple ounces of weight).

Odds are they'll memorialize the same way they did Carl Sagan: name a probe after him (probably the next lunar lander, whenever that would be). It costs precisely jack **** to launch a name.

There is typically an allowance - very small - for personal items. (Not that any manned missions are going to Mars any time soon.)

But human ashes weigh around 5 pounds after cremation, give or take. That's a pretty big chunk of the weight budget for even a lunar mission. NASA puts PR stuff on missions all the time, but they're usually very lightweight (there's TWO 9/11 memorials on Mars right now - Spirit and Curiosity have "memorial" components that probably added a couple ounces of weight).

Odds are they'll memorialize the same way they did Carl Sagan: name a probe after him (probably the next lunar lander, whenever that would be). It costs precisely jack **** to launch a name.

They would likely send up a very small portion of the ashes, like the people who are turned into meteors...

I found it interesting that after all this time it was finally corrected. His real declaration when landing on the moon was "One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." It does change the tenor a bit.

http://www.vancouver...5867/story.html

And Buzz talked him out of saying "I claim this land in the name of Texas!"

(Probably not a true story. Still a good one, though.)

And Buzz talked him out of saying "I claim this land in the name of Texas!"

(Probably not a true story. Still a good one, though.)

Not as good as the Mr. Gorsky one:

Just before he re-entered the lander, however, he made this remark "Good luck Mr. Gorsky."

In 1995:

Mr. Gorsky had finally died and so Neil Armstrong felt he could answer the question.

When he was a kid, he was playing baseball with a friend in the backyard. His friend hit a fly ball, which landed in the front of his neighbor's bedroom windows. His neighbors were Mr. & Mrs. Gorsky.

As he leaned down to pick up the ball, young Armstrong heard Mrs.Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky. "Sex! You want sex?! You'll get sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!"