Is the rebuilding project over in Buffalo?

HOUSE

Depressing :doh:

How is it depressing to be considered a playoff contender when we are 32 months into an Entire Franchise Rebuild and after over a decade of being a laughing stock?

I think some of you guys disregard how major of an overhaul this franchise needed, and the work that goes into it. Too much Madden, where you can make a couple of moves and not have to worry about it. Try rebuilding your scouting department, your coaching staff, almost an entire 53 man roster, and changing the culture around the building and franchise (all 500 employees) in under 3 years.

I'm not giving them a free pass to failure, but jeez louise, have a little patience. I know, I know "we've been at it for 13 years!", but unfortunately not really. Buddy and this FO have been at it for 32 months. Less if you count the addition of Whaley as being a major factor in the improvement.

BTW, do you think that when a team wins the Super Bowl they say "Ok, the GM can take next year off. We're all set."??? Or do you realize that EVERY year is a building year for EVERY team in the NFL?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Realistic. Even if things go great, I would still like us to upgrade our LB and WR corps. But if our D line is the real deal (K. Williams and Dareus are looking like beasts), our young CB corps matures over the next year and we get a solid lock on a #2 WR as the season goes on I think we have something more important than a winning season this year: winning seasons for the next three years.

I see no reason to wait, Teams will be dumping cap soon PLUS Buffalo still has 2013 draft picks for trade. It is NOW time to roll.

The rebuild has been ongoing since Jim kelly retired and will never be complete until these guys realize that QBs ARE your franchise. All other holes can be filled easier (or compensated for) when you find that person. The Bills major mistakes year after year have either been targeting the wrong guys (Losman, Edwards, Fitz) or not drafting anyone at all. This team has WAY too much talent not to make the playoffs and if Fitz does not have a good season from start to finish this year (which any decent QB should do at LEAST once), then they need to fix the position once and for all.

Hopefully Fitz can pull through and if he doesn't, Buddy needs to target a QB in the draft and do whatever it takes to get him. I'll give them a pass on the last couple years as it would have been difficult but the time has come. Seems as though there was some pretty decent talent in last years draft but only time will tell....

Agreed. It's a QB League now. Fitz has to be waaay better than he has ever been to get us anywhere, and I'm not so sure it's possible. He's basically a stop gap QB, and I think Buddy and Chan have gambled Big here.

Says the Redskins, from the bottom of their Division, again.

+1

Mind I remind everyone that the Eagles "won" free agency last season. Now, I'm glad we're spending, but to build a team from a decade of utter mediocrity and doing it right takes time. I don't see how being a year or two from continual playoff fixture is anything but optimistic.

I can't believe I'm about to say this. May God forgive me.

The…..P…..P……Patriots* as well as the Colts were the laughing stock of the AFC East for years (yes kids, the Colts used to be the 5th team in the AFC East), and through both rebuilding, and a franchise quarterback became the best teams in the entire AFC for the past 12 years or so. It took a lot. For the Pats* a new owner, Head Coach, and an entirely new system (and some well placed sideline cameras). The Colts had pretty much the same issue. Same owner, but new head coach (Dungy) and an entirely new system of football.

The Bills are now in the same position. New GM, Assistant GM, HC, system, and now at the end of this season we will see just how far along this team is.

My personal expectations are right along with Buddy Nix's. If the Bills don't make the playoffs then it will be a HUGE downer.

Is the rebuilding project over, yes. Buddy said 3 years, and in 3 years this team is on the cusp. It's up to our franchise QB now to make it happen. If Fitz can't do it then look for a new QB for the Bills next year.

Edited by Kevin

Teams should always be rebuilding and even when they are supposedly "set", they should at least be maintaining their current talent. So I'm going with 2. Plus I'm tired of tear down - rebuild, tear down - rebuild, tear down - rebuild, ......

I'm not sure we're quite there. Linebacking corp is suspect. Eventually we'll need a QB better than Fitz. And get over the qb winning percentage. Show me the won - loss percentage of a QB in any NFL boxscore.

Cheers :beer:

I think the "rebuild" is over, but my definition of rebuild might be different from yours.

I believe the culture has changed, the FO has definitely changed, and the type of players we are bringing in has changed. All for the better.

First off I'll say, the rebuild is over, it's time to win. Sure we have holes, but so does everyone.

As far as the "culture", I'm not sure about this one. The "culture" of the Bills in the Mularkey/Jauron era was to play tough, play the good teams tough, but still end up losing in the end by shooting our selves in the foot. Coach Gailey said he would change this. But what did we have last year? A team that started 5-2 and then tanked. A team that had the Jets on the ropes and let them up. A team that had a 14 point lead at half time against the Bungles only to come back to lose. We have the Giants down too and ended up throwing 2 picks and giving up a FG drive at the end to lose. And then in our last game of the year when we had the lead vs the Patsies, our "#1 WR" gets himself thrown out of the game for being a fool. Same as the old "hard to play, easy to beat" Bills.

Until this changes, I won't believe in the "new culture".

We are in year 8 of our 3 year rebuilding program.

Edited by reddogblitz

Agreed. It's a QB League now. Fitz has to be waaay better than he has ever been to get us anywhere, and I'm not so sure it's possible. He's basically a stop gap QB, and I think Buddy and Chan have gambled Big here.

He was one of the top rated QBs in the first half of the season. Did you mean "Fitz has to be waaay more consistent than he has ever been to get us anywhere"?

I can't believe I'm about to say this. May God forgive me.

The…..P…..P……Patriots* as well as the Colts were the laughing stock of the AFC East for years (yes kids, the Colts used to be the 5th team in the AFC East), and through both rebuilding, and a franchise quarterback became the best teams in the entire AFC for the past 12 years or so. It took a lot. For the Pats* a new owner, Head Coach, and an entirely new system (and some well placed sideline cameras). The Colts had pretty much the same issue. Same owner, but new head coach (Dungy) and an entirely new system of football.

The Bills are now in the same position. New GM, Assistant GM, HC, system, and now at the end of this season we will see just how far along this team is.

My personal expectations are right along with Buddy Nix's. If the Bills don't make the playoffs then it will be a HUGE downer.

Is the rebuilding project over, yes. Buddy said 3 years, and in 3 years this team is on the cusp. It's up to our franchise QB now to make it happen. If Fitz can't do it then look for a new QB for the Bills next year.

You are correct. For a decade the Bills and Dolphins dominated the Patriots and Colts in the AFC East, why? Because Jim Kelly and Dan Marino against teams with no franchise quarterback. No different now. The Pats have the franchise QB and we beat them once a decade whether we need to or not.

He was one of the top rated QBs in the first half of the season. Did you mean "Fitz has to be waaay more consistent than he has ever been to get us anywhere"?

No team has ever won a Super Bowl based on just the first 5 or 6 games of a season, takes all 16.

I am giving Fitz 4 weeks to prove he learned something this offseason with david lee..............but i doubt it really......he is what he is.

Here we go with the Fitz has hit his ceiling thing again. Comes around every year. 2 years ago it was he'll never throw more TDs than picks. Then he did the last 2 years. Last year it was he could never throw over 60% completions. Then he put up 62% in 2011. I expect the upward trend to continue and this be Fitz' best year ever.

Edited by reddogblitz

Here we go with the Fitz has hit his ceiling thing again. Comes around every year. 2 years ago it was he'll never throw more TDs than picks. Then he did. Last year it was he could never throw over 60% completions. Last year he was 62%. I expect the upward trend to continue and this be Fitz' best year ever.

Then last year it was "He'll never lead the NFL in interceptions-then he did!"

Good morning guys.....

We have 2 different groups of fans and opinion here....

Group #1 Yes, the rebuilding project is over. Buddy Nix had 3 years, The Bills still have all their 2013 draft picks and haven't made a trade in years..... If the Bills have flaws, fill them NOW.........win or see ya! :flirt:

Group #2 No, The rebuilding project is NOT Over, we still have holes to fill. Another draft or two should fix the team.

I am defiantly in group #1 , make all the excuses you want. Buddy picked his quarterback and paid him well. He made his roster choices and the fans have been patient. Lets see what you got Buddy.

How about both, we still have holes to fill but better choices should have been made to fill them.

Hey an OUTSIDERS perspective here. I see 6 tough games for the Bills this year:

1. Pats v Bills -- Division game pitting what should be a great D against a perenial O powerhouse.

2. Bills v Jets -- Both should be great on D, but I give the O edge to Buffalo as long as Fitz is healthy.

3. Bills v SF --- Another D battle but I think SF D MAY be a little better.. O I call even.

4. Bills v Texans -- IMO the toughest game as the Texans have (based on last yr) the best overall team in the AFC.

Thats SIX tough games, hardly an easy schedule. Lets say WORSE case you go 0-6 (I dont see that I see you beating at least the Jets) the Bills should still be 10-6 a HUGE improvement. Good enough for the playoffs I do not know.

Hey an OUTSIDERS perspective here. I see 6 tough games for the Bills this year:

1. Pats v Bills -- Division game pitting what should be a great D against a perenial O powerhouse.

2. Bills v Jets -- Both should be great on D, but I give the O edge to Buffalo as long as Fitz is healthy.

3. Bills v SF --- Another D battle but I think SF D MAY be a little better.. O I call even.

4. Bills v Texans -- IMO the toughest game as the Texans have (based on last yr) the best overall team in the AFC.

Thats SIX tough games, hardly an easy schedule. Lets say WORSE case you go 0-6 (I dont see that I see you beating at least the Jets) the Bills should still be 10-6 a HUGE improvement. Good enough for the playoffs I do not know.

I personally think if they can split with the Jets and Pats, no matter what happens in the other 4 games, they have a decent shot at the last wild card spot. If they could pull one of the two other games out that would almost clinch it.

I personally think if they can split with the Jets and Pats, no matter what happens in the other 4 games, they have a decent shot at the last wild card spot. If they could pull one of the two other games out that would almost clinch it.

I think the Bills could sweep the Jets just because they are so messed up right now on O your D could win with turnovers. I could also see you guys beating th 49ERS but that be a really close nailbiter either way both D minded teams.

The Texans, I have penciled in as SB bound if they dont get injured again, I mean they almost beat the Ravens with a 3rd string QB imagine how they been w Shaub.

As for the Pats I will remain silent I am biased and know this lol. :)

Good morning guys.....

We have 2 different groups of fans and opinion here....

Group #1 Yes, the rebuilding project is over. Buddy Nix had 3 years, The Bills still have all their 2013 draft picks and haven't made a trade in years..... If the Bills have flaws, fill them NOW.........win or see ya! :flirt:

Group #2 No, The rebuilding project is NOT Over, we still have holes to fill. Another draft or two should really do the trick.

I am defiantly in group #1 , make all the excuses you want. Buddy picked his quarterback and paid him well. He made his roster choices and the fans have been patient. Lets see what you got Buddy.

Edited by HOUSE