It's all about the Handler!

#34fan

The "Handler" is my new nickname for TE Scott Chandler.

It's a fitting moniker considering the guy has done nothing but "handle" his business in his first full season as a Buffalo Bill. IMO, he's an above average blocker, has fantastic hands, and is horribly underrated as an athlete.

He's also shamefully under-utilized in this offense.

If you look at some of last year's numbers compared to a few of the leagues better TE's, you'll see that Chandler stacks up fairly well.

in 14 games he had 38 catches for 389 yards and 6 TD's. Pretty decent when you consider he only had nine starts in those 14 games. Jason Witten played a full season, and caught twice a many balls, but still only got 5 TD's. -Tony Gonzalez caught 80 balls in a full season gained 875 yards, and scored seven.

For Chandler, those numbers hint at a guy who will make the most of scoring opportunities when given. The picture of his production becomes even clearer when you look at some of his situational stats.

Chandler has twice as many catches when we're behind (18), as opposed to when we're ahead (9). He also has twice as many recieving yards when we're losing as opposed to when winning. -Why is that?

Rob Gronkowski's numbers are just the opposite! Gronk has 52 catches, and 792 yards when the Pats are up, compared to 33 catches and 505 yards when they're behind. -Granted, they're ahead alot. Still, the way they use Rob Gronkowski could be part of the reason why.

Even Tony Gonzalez's numbers are closer to being balanced when playing with a lead as opposed to from behind. -IMO, that's a big clue for this offense going forward. Chandler is a guy that WANTS to produce. Why not dial him in earlier, and KEEP him involved throughout the game?

Of course, a few naysayers will harp on the fact that he's been waived by every team he's ever been on. (except us.)

I mean if Chandler was so good, then how come he got cut by the team that drafted him? (SDG) and pegged for practice squads by every subsequent stop? (DAL, NYG)

My heartfelt answer is that I really don't give a flying f***.

All I know is that after getting dissed by all those teams, Chandler's first career start featured two TD's on five catches for 63 yards. -A stat that does no justice to his performance against a ten-win, AFC West Champion, Chiefs squad.

Of course, Gailey sees this and concludes that LESS of Chandler on the field is somehow a good thing.

It's not that difficult Chan.

If we're going to have a shot at anything good this season, Scott Chandler has got to be neck-deep in this offense. -Especially north of the 50 yard line.

Chandler's game-time production reveals a focused, hungry, player, who's tough, talented, and reliable enough to be one of our core guys.

Handle your business Scott!

Sweet nickname. We should have a whole separate subforum dedicated to off-the-cuff player nicknames.

Only ones that fit.

What can i say, I'm impressed by Chandler's ability to fight for, and bring down tough catches -Fitzo's wounded ducks aren't exactly the most catchable balls either. -Whether they're contested or not.

Even if Scott "the handler" Chandler is rejected by the media, I'd be happy if the fans at home just yelled SCOTTTEEEEEEE! when he makes a big play. Which he will at some point. Bottom line: I think we've got something special with Scott, and I'd like to see him encouraged.