Akin

And this is equally morally vacant. If you wish to remain logically consistant, you must also support the drowning of unwanted children. Life has rights, or it doesn't. Choose.

I must support the drowning of a born, unwanted child who is unquestionably living outside of a mom on it's own if I support a woman's right to abort an early pregnancy regardless of if someone considers it a "person" or not? I don't see how.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you speaking litterally about a microscopic cluster of cells, or are you figuratively alluding to a botched 3'rd trimester abortion?

I am talking about killing babies and Tom wants to argue about a mass of cells being a person or not.

My stance is it's murder.

Tom is correct it may or may not become a person, but at what point do you and Tom and thebigcat feel that this mass of cells should be protected from their own mother and her desire to kill it?

I must support the drowning of a born, unwanted child who is unquestionably living outside of a mom on it's own if I support a woman's right to abort an early pregnancy regardless of if someone considers it a "person" or not? I don't see how.

If someone is deemed to be scientifically "alive" (which we currently have no bright line indicators for), they are human being and have the rights ascribed to other human beings. Those central rights include the right to life. The rights of the mother end at the rights of the child in the same way that my right to travel ends at your doorstep.

Because I'm not willing to legislate away the rights of someone who is a recognizable human being when there is no conclusive science to back the legislation, distasteful as I may personally find it.

. Life has rights, or it doesn't. Choose.

So you don't want to set legislation but tel him to choose.

:wallbash:

I am talking about killing babies and Tom wants to argue about a mass of cells being a person or not.

Tom is correct it may or may not become a person, but at what point do you and Tom and thebigcat feel that this mass of cells should be protected from their own mother and her desire to kill it?

How bout once it's out of the womb--once its existence no longer depends on its host.

Say a woman unknowingly kills the "baby' inside her--either she doesn't know she's pregnant, or she has an accident, takes a medication, something, and the "baby" is killed, that does that mean she should be brought up on manslaughter charges??

If someone is deemed to be scientifically "alive" (which we currently have no bright line indicators for), they are human being and have the rights ascribed to other human beings. Those central rights include the right to life. The rights of the mother end at the rights of the child in the same way that my right to travel ends at your doorstep.

So you are waiting or someone else to define life for you.

That's weak

How bout once it's out of the womb--once its existence no longer depends on its host.

Really your mom gave birth to you and you could cook and eat a cheese burger that day? :wallbash:

While all of you girls trip over something that has no bearing on the upcoming election, permit me to interject something rumbling in the background: there is talk that Akin will switch his candidacy for the Senate seat with Ann Wagner, who is currently running for Akin's old congressional seat. There is apparently a loophole that permits this switch at the state level. It may just be rumblings, but it would put a strong candidate in Wagner against a useless Obamabot like McCaskill, and let Akin placate his ego by running for his own seat, which he should presumably win pretty easily.

You may now carry on with the riveting abortion discussion.

This is all good and well except for ya know the whole...living inside the mother and needing the mother to carry them. No matter how you slice it a mother gives birth to people...it's not the same. You can't splice it up and insert law into this situation...it just can't be done.

Is Akin being paid by the DNC?

Takes it to a place he shouldn't have with his comments, flips the bird at Ryan when Ryan calls asking him to drop out making ryan look weak, and the longer he's in the spotlight the more associations they're digging up between him and Ryan, like cosponsored anti abortion bills.

All this perfectly timed to offset momentum from the Ryan pick, at a time when romney needs to start defining his platform in a more centrist way.

DNC would have paid tens of millions for negative ads this effective.

Then your stance has no rational basis.

When it is no longer the potential for human life, but is actual human life.

Takes it to a place he shouldn't have with his comments, flips the bird at Ryan when Ryan calls asking him to drop out making ryan look weak, and the longer he's in the spotlight the more associations they're digging up between him and Ryan, like cosponsored anti abortion bills.

All this perfectly timed to offset momentum from the Ryan pick, at a time when romney needs to start defining his platform in a more centrist way.

They really would have...all right before the damn convention too.

This is all good and well except for ya know the whole...living inside the mother and needing the mother to carry them. No matter how you slice it a mother gives birth to people...it's not the same. You can't splice it up and insert law into this situation...it just can't be done.

At what point does the fetus need the mother to carry them. It's sooner than 9 months.

So you are waiting or someone else to define life for you.

That's weak

Really your mom gave birth to you and you could cook and eat a cheese burger that day? :wallbash:

There's a very very very shortlist of people who can subsist a "baby" when it's growing inside it's mother.

That list grows infinitely once it pops out. At that point, others actually have the option to help keep it alive. Before then it's mom, all mom and only mom.

At what point does the fetus need the mother to carry them. It's sooner than 9 months.

For the sake of argument the fetus always needs the mother to give birth to them whether or not they can survive after the birth. In any event I'm not outraged at reasonable limitations on abortion. You have the opportunity to have one for a quite a while if it gets too late then you chose to carry it past the point of no return (or you are somehow one of those people who doesn't know they're pregnant which i will never understand)

It's the economy ......

If you're an idiot, sure. The mother made the choice to involve herself in an activity for which the main side effect is human reproduction. Scientifically, the areas she used are called the "human reproductive system", not the "human !@#$ing for pleasure system". In the instance of rape, the waters are muddy, but if a woman is raped and decides to carry the pregnancy to the point where it has become a human, she has made her choice. Her first choice (not in the instance of rape) was to be involved in an activity which creates the potential for life. Her second choice was to steward that potential life until it distinctively life. There is no third choice. Once it is life, it has it's own rights. Edited by TakeYouToTasker

There's a very very very shortlist of people who can subsist a "baby" when it's growing inside it's mother.

That list grows infinitely once it pops out. At that point, others actually have the option to help keep it alive. Before then it's mom, all mom and only mom.

So when a partial birth abortion fails that baby should be left to die?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081001172243AApXO7Y