Akin

Their "true agenda" is to privately support what Akin said while saying publicly they disagree with it.

You're right on this point: akin put Romney in the awkward position of distancing himself for the sake of moderates/indepedants but at the risk of alienating the fundamentalist base. Which is happening now:

“Following the pounding of Todd Akin by the GOP kings and lieutenants in the last 36 hours, I’ve come to the conclusion that the real issue is the soul of America,” wrote David Lane, an evangelical activist who’s influential in the Republican Party, in an e-mail to fellow activists Thursday morning.

“The swift knee-jerk reaction to throw Akin, a strong conservative pro-life, pro-family born again Christian under the bus by some in the Republican Party is shining the light on their actual agenda,” Lane continued.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/23/conservative-christians-rally-around-akin-in-face-of-gop-criticism/?iphoneemail

-------

This is what really must be eating at Romney. I'm sure they wanted to have it both ways, and not really have to opine so explicitly on Akin-type positions.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is it that folks think the "developing person," the "cluster of cells," the "living" creature inside a woman deserves more benefit of the doubt than the woman herself?

How does its "right to live" trump her right to not bring a child into the world? Especially when nobody can definitively say whether or not it's "living."

And if we're so damn adamant about "life," then I come back to my bug on the windshield question. Where does it end?

How is it that folks think the "developing person," the "cluster of cells," the "living" creature inside a woman deserves more benefit of the doubt than the woman herself?

How does its "right to live" trump her right to not bring a child into the world? Especially when nobody can definitively say whether or not it's "living."

And if we're so damn adamant about "life," then I come back to my bug on the windshield question. Where does it end?

Because unlike the mass of cells, no one's deciding whether to kill the woman.

That's a good little progressive; create a ridiculous meme, take it to a ridiculous extreme, tie it to a particular group, and then go running home like the whiny little B word you have become.

You'd think with the recent contributions from BillsFan-4-Ever, you'd take a break so someone else could be the board's biggest dumbass.

But no.

No one can take that distinction from you LA. All you got in your bag of tricks is name calling. So republican, nothing of substance.

I don't live in Ontario, I live in Quebec. Ontario is booming, Quebec is going down the toilet.

That being said, I have consistently explained my positions on Canadian healthcare. I don't support a fully private system but what we have here in Canada is grossly underfunded and extremely inefficient (something not surprising of the public sector).

I've went the private route when the public option is forcing me to wait months for tests. Also, whatever you paid on the birth of your second child is peanuts to what I'm paying in tax dollars to fund a system that still makes me wait a long time to get to see a doctor.

Also with regards to the chiropractor, my private work funded insurance pays for that.

Why is Quebec failing and Ontario booming? Any good stats?

Set on a plain rising gently from the sea to a range of wooded hills, Barcelona is Spain's most cosmopolitan city and one of the Mediterranean's busiest ports. Restaurants, bars and clubs are always packed, as is the seaside in summer. The city's avant-garde chefs whip up a storm that has even the French reaching for superlatives.

Read more: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/spain/barcelona#ixzz24QJwVKDj

The problem with Anderson Cooper is he's too good for the network he is on. He is one of the few who has no problems holding everyone accountable, regardless of party.

My apologies to the DWS fans (you know who you are) for taking you to a conservative site, but I have not been able to find this video anywhere else...even at the CNN website. But you can see, clearly and openly, that the progressives like DWS/Obama/Axelrod/etc. have no problem openly lying and taking quotes COMPLETELY and unethically out of context as long as they get to advance their larger position.

It is amazing to me that DWS is allowed near an online computer, let alone a TV studio. She represents all that is wrong with this administration and campaign, and I look forward to her going the way of her batschitt crazy brother, Alan Grayson. Anderson Cooper makes her look like the petty, embarrassing mindless dolt that she is.

http://www.therights...ce-on-abortion/

Why is Quebec failing and Ontario booming? Any good stats?

In the 70s, this place was booming but there was a bunch of xenophobic laws put in place to limit the power of English speaking Quebec residents. Throw in a referendum to separate from Canada twice and most businesses took off.

When growth stalled, the social programs started to require higher taxes to offset the economic decline.

60k a year gets you 38% total income tax + 15% sales tax + endless regulation and fees.

Say hello to your future

Set on a plain rising gently from the sea to a range of wooded hills, Barcelona is Spain's most cosmopolitan city and one of the Mediterranean's busiest ports. Restaurants, bars and clubs are always packed, as is the seaside in summer. The city's avant-garde chefs whip up a storm that has even the French reaching for superlatives.

Read more: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/spain/barcelona#ixzz24QJwVKDj

I am there as of Sunday :)

The life that is started by being pregnant I consider a individual. I guess this is one of those issues that there is no grey area for me. Life starts at conception. From that perspective there is clear right and wrong. I assume you would argue that life does not start at that point and on that we will never agree.

There is the rub! When does conscious human life start? When does the soul enter the body?

The problem with Anderson Cooper is he's too good for the network he is on. He is one of the few who has no problems holding everyone accountable, regardless of party.

My apologies to the DWS fans (you know who you are) for taking you to a conservative site, but I have not been able to find this video anywhere else...even at the CNN website. But you can see, clearly and openly, that the progressives like DWS/Obama/Axelrod/etc. have no problem openly lying and taking quotes COMPLETELY and unethically out of context as long as they get to advance their larger position.

It is amazing to me that DWS is allowed near an online computer, let alone a TV studio. She represents all that is wrong with this administration and campaign, and I look forward to her going the way of her batschitt crazy brother, Alan Grayson. Anderson Cooper makes her look like the petty, embarrassing mindless dolt that she is.

http://www.therights...ce-on-abortion/

We've discussed this before, surrogates are known to bend the truth, but she flat out lies, and this isn't the first time she's been called out, when confronted with her lies, she presses on. She doesn't care, she has no self respect for herself. I know if I got caught lying I wouldn't continue with it as I'm getting busted.

Really, she is an embarrassment and according to politicos Glenn rushes book, Obama even dislikes her and sees her as an in effective DNC chair

We've discussed this before, surrogates are known to bend the truth, but she flat out lies, and this isn't the first time she's been called out, when confronted with her lies, she presses on. She doesn't care, she has no self respect for herself. I know if I got caught lying I wouldn't continue with it as I'm getting busted.

Really, she is an embarrassment and according to politicos Glenn rushes book, Obama even dislikes her and sees her as an in effective DNC chair

Not only does she flat out lie...she is completely condescending ("Oh....Anderson, Anderson") to a reporter who is doing nothing but presenting her with her own false statements. The real laugher is at the end when she finishes her argument by stating that the Romney camp is 'disingenuous.' Especially, keeping in mind that this is Anderson Cooper doing the interview....not Sean Hannity.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/senator-famous-joking-about-rape-campaigns-obama-biden_650609.html

Franken: “And, ‘I give the pills to Lesley Stahl.
Then, when Lesley’s passed out, I take her to the closet and rape her.
’ Or, ‘That’s why you never see Lesley until February.’ Or, ‘When she passes out, I put her in various positions and take pictures of her.’”

That's it Joe, have Franken campaign with you while you give Akin crap.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/08/23/anderson_cooper_hammers_wasserman_schultz_over_romney__abortion.html

I assume your discussion is regarding abortion and not birth control. With that as the basis, and speaking only for myself, the baby inside her 'deserves more benefit of the doubt' because of 2 points:

1. in general, the mother already made her choices and they ended up with a baby inside her; and

2. the baby is innocent.

If the mother, again in general (not talking about situations such as rape), had used birth control and insisted the father used it as well; there pretty much wouldn't be a baby that needed to get hoovered out. If only 1 of them is using birth control the odds of a baby being inside her increase. If neither of them are using birth control the odds of baby being inside her go up substantially. Yes, the pill can fail, especially if the woman is on antibiotics, (and other forms can fail as well) but the odds of a prophylactic also failing at the same time are pretty miniscule.

As to your second question, except in limited circumstances, the mother already made a choice, which is why there is now a baby inside of her.

It's a ****ty situation, having a pregnancy that isn't wanted, but as pretty much everybody in this discussion will admit - we don't know when 'life' starts; in general I'd prefer to err on the conservative side.

A Denver reporter says she was told not to ask Romney about Akin or abortion

A Denver television reporter says Mitt Romney's campaign instructed her not to ask the candidate questions about the controversy over Missouri Rep. Todd Akin's comments on rape or the debate over abortion during an interview she had with Romney Thursday.

Shawn Boyd, a reporter for CBS affiliate KCNC, told viewers of the campaign's ground rules before the station aired footage of her interview with the presumptive Republican nominee.

------------

Mitt can't handle a tough question? Or is it that his opinion changes hourly on the subject.