Akin

But the reality is that they've denounced him because it would make them look bad and screw up the "cause".

This again?

If--in fact--they have denounced him it's because a.) it was a bat **** stupid thing to say and marginalizes/cheapens/dismisses what is indisputably the most traumatic event of a rape victim's life. or b.) As I said last night, the GOP cannot get pulled into a turd-flinging contest over abortion because they will lose if social issues, and not the economy, is the focus. They know it. I know it. You know it. And Dems know it.

If you want to take it a step further and suggest it's in the Dems interest to keep this at the surface, I would agree. I would also agree that it's a cheap, opportunistic pot shot [intentional] distraction...but, such is politics!

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/79945.html?hp=l4

TAMPA, Fla. — Even as Mitt Romney sought to quash the furor surrounding Todd Akin’s “legitimate” rape comments, the Republican platform committee here approved an abortion plank that includes no exemptions for rape, incest or even to save the life of the mother.

The platform committee instead approved draft language Tuesday, calling for a “Human Life Amendment” that gives legal protection to the unborn. Democrats quickly labeled the GOP language the “Akin Plank,” referring to the Missouri Senate candidate’s statements that victims of “legitimate rape” rarely get pregnant.

:thumbsup::worthy::doh::lol:

This again?

If--in fact--they have denounced him it's because a.) it was a bat **** stupid thing to say and marginalizes/cheapens/dismisses what is indisputably the most traumatic event of a rape victim's life. or b.) As I said last night, the GOP cannot get pulled into a turd-flinging contest over abortion because they will lose if social issues, and not the economy, is the focus. They know it. I know it. You know it. And Dems know it.

If you want to take it a step further and suggest it's in the Dems interest to keep this at the surface, I would agree. I would also agree that it's a cheap, opportunistic pot shot [intentional] distraction...but, such is politics!

I realize that you might not be following every single post but I was merely taking a jab at birdshit1960.

i didn't say that. i believe hannity was targeting evangelicals or other anti abortion repubs when he pointedly reminded them he was a christian while dissing akin, you idiot.

Except in as much as you did. Deconstructing your posts is boring...just go back and read them, and save me the trouble.

keep guessing.74% of 26% of the entire electorate, for MCCAIN - hardly a evangelical hero. wonder how many didn't vote at all in that election.i would propose 5% of the republicans to be substantial. what's the percent of hispanics? does the rnc consider them substantial? hell, less than 1% was substantial in bush v gore. but it's not important: if i showed data showing 10%, you'd deny it's legitimacy or just call black, white.

But I guess we'll never know because rather than, you know, source any of your outrageous claims you've instead decided to pull a bunch of random and meaningless numbers out of your ass, combined them with a healthy dose of faux-indignation and strawmen, and tried to peddle the hot mess you've constructed as an argument.

You and FaninSanDiego should hook up.

You really don't get figurative speech. Look up the meaning sometime would you.

I heard on CNN today that the Republican party drafted the final verbage for their stance on abortion and there were no exceptions listed. How does Romney Ryan new stance square this up with the Republican party? Seems very dysfunctional to me. I'm pro choice so I'll be voting Democratic this year again until the Republicans catch up to the modern world.

I really thought his statement was too incoherent and ignorant to be truly offensive.

The amazing thing is that he's trying to defend himself. Uh...no. Just say "You know what? That was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard anyone say. I don't know what I was thinking. God, I'm an idiot."

I just saw bits and pieces on the internet. No context or anything (although I can't imagine a context that would justify that).

I hate to see a primary winner bow out and someone who didn't get the vote, on the ballot.

You really don't get figurative speech. Look up the meaning sometime would you.

I'm pro choice so I'll be voting Democratic this year again until the Republicans catch up to the modern world.

Is killing unborn babies the sign of advanced civilization?

Edited by Gary M

It use to be where reasonable people could disagree about being pro-life and pro-choice, I'm on the pro-choice side of things, and I respect both sides of the argument, but now, the left has moved so far out left, that if you are pro-life, it is now somehow something wrong.

This isn't the same Democratic party we use to see, now the left is comprised of a bunch of leftist extremists.

Edited by WorldTraveller