Bernstein: The NFL Preseason Sucks

dayman

My favorite line(s)..

"Players don’t get game checks for participating, either, so it’s a perfectly cynical production – performers who don’t want to be there, in front of people who didn’t want to have to pay to see them."

My favorite line(s)..

"Players don’t get game checks for participating, either, so it’s a perfectly cynical production – performers who don’t want to be there, in front of people who didn’t want to have to pay to see them."

Good line, but not entirely true... any number of players in the field for a pre-season game are playing for a spot on the roster, so they are motivated...or at least some.

I agree preseason games shouldn't cost as much as regular season games, and season ticket holders certainly should not be charged for them at all, IMO. But, it is what it is...we all gripe about how much pre-season sucks, but most of us watch the games when our teams are playing... I actually watched a fair amount of the Steelrs/Colts game tonight, and it was actually, all in all, a terrific football game.

Good line, but not entirely true... any number of players in the field for a pre-season game are playing for a spot on the roster, so they are motivated...or at least some.

I agree preseason games shouldn't cost as much as regular season games, and season ticket holders certainly should not be charged for them at all, IMO. But, it is what it is...we all gripe about how much pre-season sucks, but most of us watch the games when our teams are playing... I actually watched a fair amount of the Steelrs/Colts game tonight, and it was actually, all in all, a terrific football game.

There is no incentive for the NFL to change their preseason ticket pricing policy. The NFL gets all the extra revenue which makes them happy, and the starters don't play very much which keeps them healthier and happier. The only real losers are the season ticket holders. And if they don't mind being raped why should the NFL care either. Like you said, it is what it is. Any season ticket holder is free to not buy the seasons if they don't like the preseason policy.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Cut the preseason to two games and two scrimmages a piece

The problem is that the NFL has decided to 100% tie together the completely independent ideas of 1) shortening the preseason, and 2) lengthening the regular season. The only proposal on the table is to convert 2 preseason games to regular-season games. That doesn't actually save season-ticket holders any money, but it does serve to increase injury risk and dilute the NFL's product.

The problem is that the NFL has decided to 100% tie together the completely independent ideas of 1) shortening the preseason, and 2) lengthening the regular season. The only proposal on the table is to convert 2 preseason games to regular-season games. That doesn't actually save season-ticket holders any money, but it does serve to increase injury risk and dilute the NFL's product.

As as season ticket holder I'd gladly swap a preseason game for a regular season game. I'm stuck paying full price anyways; mind as well get to see a good game for the money.

As as season ticket holder I'd gladly swap a preseason game for a regular season game. I'm stuck paying full price anyways; mind as well get to see a good game for the money.

The players don't want more regular season games. And if there are more, they will want more of the money. The NFL is doing very good the way that it is.

"Players don;t get game checks for participating

I liked the piece, but this is a disngenuous statement --- players do not receive contracts dated Sept - Jan or get an hourly wage after they clock in on Sunday at 1:00. They get a salary for being on the team, and that salary is paid for their full participation on the team; games, practices, meetings, training camp, etc.

The fact that they physically receive checks during the regular season is merely a term of the contract and not relevant.

Cut the preseason to two games and two scrimmages a piece

Pre-Season is a necessary evil. I just wish Fans/media would not get caught up in what happens during it, and the cost of the tickets should be half of that of regular season for the fans going to the games.

Pre-Season is a necessary evil. I just wish Fans/media would not get caught up in what happens during it, and the cost of the tickets should be half of that of regular season for the fans going to the games.

I agree with everything you say.

Here's what a lot of people don't understand though.

If the NFL charged less for preseason games, they would simply make up the difference by increasing the cost of regular season games. That's how it works.

The total amount you pay to attend regular season games is the cost of doing business.