Think I've figured out the "The Private Sector is Doing Fine&#

It's not a gaffe...if you look at it the right way. You just have to get yourself within "the wrong".

Premises

Obama is trying to restructure the country and therefore: results, unemployment, growth...don't matter. The progress towards his design is the standard by which he is measuring his activity.

The private sector doesn't matter, unless it's not doing well enough, and gets in the way of restructuring effort.

The public sector, both growing it and modifying it is what matters, as the new design is dependent upon it.

The real problem, and what thus far has eluded Obama's understanding, is that the states, counties etc. haven't been able to withstand the lack of revenue(um, requires private sector growth, but let's stay within the wrong)...and are restructuring in another direction as a result.

Therefore, states, etc. are being restructured, forcibly and/or by default, in a manner that will almost certainly be incongruent with Obama's design for the Federal government, and American society on the whole.

That's why incorrectly describing the status of the private sector, good or bad, isn't really a "mistake", for Obama. In Obama's view, it's doing well enough to not be in the way. The problem, as he sees it, is that the lesser governments aren't in a position to respond to his efforts, and in fact are going the other way. This is even happening in places like NYS. :o

So, he and his efforts are frustrated. He can't keep remaking the country into being "government-centered" if whole parts of it are moving away from government(ahem, Wisconsin). Hence..."the private sector isn't my problem here, my problem is the public sector"

.....or "the private sector is doing fine".

Now, it's hysterical for those of us that aren't hinderded by nonsense...we can see how this thinking is backasswards. It's not "progressive" either. You can't do what he wants without having a good economy to start with. It's simply wrong.

But, if you can get yourself within "the wrong"... you can see saying "the private sector is doing fine" is no mistake at all, and is actually quite correct.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Or the simple explanation is that he's listening to his economic advisor Greek Chorus which sings that the main reason for the tepid recovery is the sad state of the public sector, without bothering to look under the covers to understand how real wealth is created. Case in point, the increasingly bromidic tone of Krugman's pieces lately, especially after the Ryan announcement. This is an ideological war with Obama acting as the field general for wrong ideas.

Or the simple explanation is that he's listening to his economic advisor Greek Chorus which sings that the main reason for the tepid recovery is the sad state of the public sector, without bothering to look under the covers to understand how real wealth is created. Case in point, the increasingly bromidic tone of Krugman's pieces lately, especially after the Ryan announcement. This is an ideological war with Obama acting as the field general for wrong ideas.

Hmmm. is the Greek Chrous calling the plays...or is Obama?

I'm not being a wiseass, I just don't know. Do you?

That's kinda why I like my explanation: if Obama's focus is on some things, greening America, restructuring America, and then, every so often somebody hauls him into a room and says "unemployement is this" or "growth is that" he responds with "well none of that is reason enough for me to be in this meeting, now can I go back to what I was doing? All of this is fine....our real problem is over here."

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Hmmm. is the Greek Chrous calling the plays...or is Obama?

I'm not being a wiseass, I just don't know. Do you?

That's kinda why I like my explanation: if Obama's focus is on some things, greening America, restructuring America, and then, every so often somebody hauls him into a room and says "unemployement is this" or "growth is that" he responds with "well none of that is reason enough for me to be in this meeting, now can I go back to what I was doing? All of this is fine....our real problem is over here."

After four years, it's tough to pinpoint Obama's focus, other than to get re elected. But if there's one constant with his tenure is that the things he utters came from poll & focus group trackers. So yes, I think that he's the loudest voice of the chorus, not the soloist.