How Mitt Lost the Summer

One can just see the desperation oozing out of every sentence of yours joey.

Anyone familiar with the situation knows that Rush and Ann Coulter were criticizing how a Romney spokesperson answered a question. In your attempt to grasp at anything, you mis-characterize this as "turning on" Romney..............well if it helps you to believe that.

I guess its just part of JtSP's "Lost Summer" tour.......................lol

I don't think either side has a reason to get desperate yet. Too much time left.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think either side has a reason to get desperate yet. Too much time left.

Adam, I respectfully disagree.

We (all) have been using the "its still early" meme,

but there are now only 88 days til election day....................................those who have been spending millions and millions with little to show for it (internal polling) should panic.

Still another 3 months of poor economy to go, Romney hasn't picked a Veep, and the debates haven't happened.

I gotta ask, why are you so convinced the debates will be anything but a positive for Obama. I know you don't believe there's substance behind his administration, but his biggest advantage has always been his celebrtiy and orating abilities. He's more dynamic and compelling as a speaker than Mitt, and even if his ideas aren't better he thinks quicker on his feet in front of a camera.

I only ask because it's a constant refrain from you that honestly has me curious. To me, the debates make me nervous for Mitt's chances simply from a showmanship angle.

Turning on "camp Romney". At least quote the post properly dumb ass, details matter. Theyre calling for the senior Romney spokesperson to be fired.

They're calling for the spokesperson to be fired for bringing up a piece of legislation that Romney created and supported in Mass. That's the funny part about it. It's not like she attributed something feloneous to the man... it's hilarious.

Regarding the "Mitt murdered the lady" ad:

-

In a January 10, 2012 interview with Amy Goodman of "Democracy Now!" the anti-Romney steel plant employee revealed he was offered a buyout when Bain decided to close the plant. Joe Soptic, the employee, has been in the news as of late due to an ad he made for the Obama-backed Super PAC Priorities USA. In the ad, Mr. Soptic says his wife died of cancer because he was laid off and no longer had health insurance.

However, not mentioned in the ad is that his wife found out she had cancer nearly five years after his departure from the plant. She died 22 days after her diagnosis. Transcript below.

AMY GOODMAN: Joining us now from Kansas City is Joe Soptic, former steelworker at Worldwide Grinding Systems, who has lost his job after a declared bankruptcy under Bain’s control. He’s speaking to us from Kansas City’s PBS station KCPT. Joe, explain what happened.

JOE SOPTIC: Well, I guess the first thing I noticed after the company was bought out by GST, they became very union-non-friendly. I mean, they started looking for ways to eliminate jobs. In my case, in my department, they actually offered to buy our jobs out from underneath us. They cut back on safety equipment. You know, the working environment just wasn’t as good as it should be.

-

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/08/10/star_of_obama_super_pacs_cancer_ad_says_bain_offered_him_a_buyout.html

So he was offered a buyout...

I gotta ask, why are you so convinced the debates will be anything but a positive for Obama. I know you don't believe there's substance behind his administration, but his biggest advantage has always been his celebrtiy and orating abilities. He's more dynamic and compelling as a speaker than Mitt, and even if his ideas aren't better he thinks quicker on his feet in front of a camera.

I only ask because it's a constant refrain from you that honestly has me curious. To me, the debates make me nervous for Mitt's chances simply from a showmanship angle.

They're calling for the spokesperson to be fired for bringing up a piece of legislation that Romney created and supported in Mass. That's the funny part about it. It's not like she attributed something feloneous to the man... it's hilarious.

He's only dynamic when he has a prepared speech to follow. He's anything but when he has to improvise which is what the debates are all about.

I have a bet that Romney will win. There is still a long way to go in terms of what could happen but I'm curious what the debates will sound like?

Romney = "You have done a terrible job with the economy and i'll do a better one"

Obama = "You killed a mans wife"

Add to that the fact that the debates will be hosted by big names from the mainstream media and ALL of the questions and talking points will come from the left.

- Mr. Romney, why do you want to take healthcare away from poor people?

- Mr. Romney, why don't you feel that gay people should be able to marry?

- Mr. Romney, can't you see that your opponent is AWESOME?

Blah, blah, blah . . .

When Mitt had to do well in the debates in the primaries, he did. So he does have a history of performing well under pressure. Will he do better than Obama? I don't know, but it was a widely a held idea that Gingrich was the "master" of debates, and when everyone knew that there was to be a big showdown between the two, Mitt eviscerated him. TWICE!So, I'm not sure he'll repeat that sort of performance, but he does have the capability.

Edited by WorldTraveller

When Mitt had to do well in the debates in the primaries, he did. So he does have a history of performing well under pressure. Will he do better than Obama? I don't know, but it was a widely a held idea that Gingrich was the "master" of debates, and when everyone knew that there was to be a big showdown between the two, Mitt eviscerated him. TWICE!So, I'm not sure he'll repeat that sort of performance, but he does have the capability.

I hear what you're saying (and Chef and the others above) ... but you have to admit, besting the likes of Newt or Santorum in a debate is like bragging about beating a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.

Mitt is intelligent and well spoken. I'm in no way trying to say he's not. I just worry he doesn't have the wattage that Obama has when the big lights come on. It might turn out that 4 years in the spotlight took all the gleen off the President and even the field for Mitt -- but working in a business that's all flash over substance I just don't see Mitt overcoming Obama in the flash catagory of the debates ... and that's what the audience is going to remember.

Of course, I could be totally wrong. I'm just surprised so many people think the debates will be anything more than an Obama love-fest.

Hot off the presses, it's trending more negative for Mitt.

August 9, 2012

By Carolyn Kaster, Charles Dharapak, AP

Another poll, another lead for President Obama.

A CNN/ORC International survey puts the incumbent president ahead of challenger Mitt Romney, 52% to 45%.

When you look past the headline.

CNN Is Just Making Up Poll Numbers Now

Okay, I'm not certain they are literally making up poll results, but the poll CNN and British market research firm ORC International released Thursday afternoon is so screwy and raises so many questions that they might as well be doing it intentionally. If CNN is already resorting to these kinds of tricks before the conventions have even started, it's going to be a very long campaign.

First let me say, with less than three months to go in this campaign, can we please stop polling the political views of "adults", rather than "registered voters." We really should be moving soon to a "likely voter" screen, but I'll take "registered voters" for now. Knowing the political views of unregistered voters is worthless at the height of an election campaign and serves no real purpose but to give the Democrats an advantage. Nate Silver at the New York Times has estimated that polls of adults are biased towards Democrats by around 7 points.

CNN does at least test an Obama-Romney match-up among registered voters.

It trumpets across its news page that, among registered voters, Obama is leading Romney 52-45. Looking deeper into the poll, however, we learn that these numbers include "leaners." In other words 52% of registered voters either support Obama or are "leaning" towards him. Now, there is nothing wrong with documenting voters who are "leaning" towards a candidate. But, you know, you have to document it! Knowing the percentage of voters who support a candidate and those who are currently "leaning" towards that candidate is what we call relevant information.

For example, if 50% of voters say they support Obama while 2% are leaning towards him that tells us one thing. If, however, 45% support him and 7% are leaning, that is kind of something else entirely, right? If you are going to combine two different numbers to get a final result, you kind of have to show your math. CNN obviously has this information, so why didn't they publish it?

{snip}

At least this sub-sample gives us a small glimpse of the partisan make-up of the poll. Naturally, CNN doesn't provide any information on this directly. According to the sub-sample, though, Republicans and GOP-leaning Independents make up about 45% of CNN's overall sample of registered voters. (Hey, that's Romney's vote share!) So, around 55% are Democrat or Democrat-leaning independents. By this, not only is the poll a heavily skewed D+10, but Obama is underperforming at only 52%.

Maybe there is some large number of Independent voters in the poll who lean neither way, but we don't know, because CNN won't tell us. At this late stage in the campaign, if you don't show your work on a poll, then I'm just going to conclude you're making it up.

After all, at the end of June, CNN and ORC International conducted a poll and found that economic optimism was "skyrocketing."

How is that result holding up?

http://www.breitbart...oll-numbers-now

I hear what you're saying (and Chef and the others above) ... but you have to admit, besting the likes of Newt or Santorum in a debate is like bragging about beating a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.

Mitt is intelligent and well spoken. I'm in no way trying to say he's not. I just worry he doesn't have the wattage that Obama has when the big lights come on. It might turn out that 4 years in the spotlight took all the gleen off the President and even the field for Mitt -- but working in a business that's all flash over substance I just don't see Mitt overcoming Obama in the flash catagory of the debates ... and that's what the audience is going to remember.

Of course, I could be totally wrong. I'm just surprised so many people think the debates will be anything more than an Obama love-fest.

I'm not so sure about that. New Gingrich is famed to be a terrific debater, and he ripped it up in S.C. I think what happened there is that he didn't expect or at least he didn't seem like he was expecting such a ferocious offensive from Mitt, plus Mitt's research team provided him some key bullets for the debate that proved decisive. I don't know how it will turn out, my guess is that it will be a push. However, he is capable of landing some effective punches, and if he can land some punches while defending well, it could be just the nudge that those "undecided voters" need in order to make that change.

I'm not so sure about that. New Gingrich is famed to be a terrific debater, and he ripped it up in S.C. I think what happened there is that he didn't expect or at least he didn't seem like he was expecting such a ferocious offensive from Mitt, plus Mitt's research team provided him some key bullets for the debate that proved decisive. I don't know how it will turn out, my guess is that it will be a push. However, he is capable of landing some effective punches, and if he can land some punches while defending well, it could be just the nudge that those "undecided voters" need in order to make that change.

Absolutely agree that if it's a push, Mitt wins.

Regarding the "Mitt murdered the lady" ad:

-

In a January 10, 2012 interview with Amy Goodman of "Democracy Now!" the anti-Romney steel plant employee revealed he was offered a buyout when Bain decided to close the plant. Joe Soptic, the employee, has been in the news as of late due to an ad he made for the Obama-backed Super PAC Priorities USA. In the ad, Mr. Soptic says his wife died of cancer because he was laid off and no longer had health insurance.

However, not mentioned in the ad is that his wife found out she had cancer nearly five years after his departure from the plant. She died 22 days after her diagnosis. Transcript below.

AMY GOODMAN: Joining us now from Kansas City is Joe Soptic, former steelworker at Worldwide Grinding Systems, who has lost his job after a declared bankruptcy under Bain's control. He's speaking to us from Kansas City's PBS station KCPT. Joe, explain what happened.

JOE SOPTIC: Well, I guess the first thing I noticed after the company was bought out by GST, they became very union-non-friendly. I mean, they started looking for ways to eliminate jobs. In my case, in my department, they actually offered to buy our jobs out from underneath us. They cut back on safety equipment. You know, the working environment just wasn't as good as it should be.

-

http://www.realclear...m_a_buyout.html

So he was offered a buyout...

What's more damning is she had health insurance through her employer for 2 years after her husband lost his job, and then she lost her job. But yeah, Romney killer her.

He's only dynamic when he has a prepared speech to follow. He's anything but when he has to improvise which is what the debates are all about.

Exactly. Expect more "you didn't build that" off-teleprompter gaffes.

I have a bet that Romney will win. There is still a long way to go in terms of what could happen but I'm curious what the debates will sound like?

Romney = "You have done a terrible job with the economy and i'll do a better one"

Obama = "You killed a mans wife"

No, more like "...the fault of the previous administration."

My biggest concern for the debates is who is asking the questions. As an independent who both candidates need to win the election, I am hoping the questions are fair, but I am guessing that both the President and Romney will already know the questions ahead of time and will have prepared answers ready. This favors the President. However, if they only have a general sense of the questions, Romney will have the advantage, because the President does not have a very good recent record speaking off the cuff.

Given the appearance that the media basically has Obama cheerleader outfits on, I wonder which will be the case?