How Mitt Lost the Summer

It probably will. He knows what he is doing.

http://online.wsj.co...1104830894.html

I know, I keep hearing this from some of the strategists, that it's going to be a "Brave Heart" sort of "hold, hold, hold " strategy where they allow most of Obama's campaign coffers to deplete, and the Romney team effectively unleashes the huge money advantage when most voters are paying attention.This is what I keep hearing, but I haven't seen it yet. What I find most distressing is that they haven't come out with a serious Defense/Offense of the positives of what Bain has done. There is a very good story to tell, and as Joe-the-dumbass stated the word "Bain" in some peoples minds has become associated in a negative light. This NEEDS to change.There are five main factors that I see between now and the election.1) The economy, if it continues to muddle along, I would say that becomes a slight net negative for the president, if it dips, huge advantage for Romney if it slightly gets better, it becomes a push.2) The VP selection. I say go for bold. These elections are about turnout, and by choosing a Ryan, you will get a more enthusiastic base, you will have a sharper and clearer contrast against Mr. Big Government and the election will become about big things again, because there is no one better at communicating the need to reform entitlements and the dangers of debt than Paul Ryan.3) The Convention. It is a great time to introduce himself as a credible person to lead the country. If he can have a great speech, with a supporting cast of great speakers, then that can place a favorable impression on undecided voters and gin up the base.4) The huge advertising and money advantage Romney will have going into the last 90 days. They will blanket the airwaves, set up massive telephone banks and knock on lots of doors. The ads will have a saturating effect, so they have to be done well, they have to be effective and they have to follow a narrative, if not, then it just becomes extra noise that people will tune out.5) The campaign. They have to be clear on their message and remain positive. Most voters are already disappointed in President Obama's performance, they'd like to see a change, they just want to make sure that the alternative could be better. So I would hope they talk about big things.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, I keep hearing this from some of the strategists, that it's going to be a "Brave Heart" sort of "hold, hold, hold " strategy where they allow most of Obama's campaign coffers to deplete, and the Romney team effectively unleashes the huge money advantage when most voters are paying attention.This is what I keep hearing, but I haven't seen it yet. What I find most distressing is that they haven't come out with a serious Defense/Offense of the positives of what Bain has done. There is a very good story to tell, and as Joe-the-dumbass stated the word "Bain" in some peoples minds has become associated in a negative light. This NEEDS to change.There are five main factors that I see between now and the election.1) The economy, if it continues to muddle along, I would say that becomes a slight net negative for the president, if it dips, huge advantage for Romney if it slightly gets better, it becomes a push.2) The VP selection. I say go for bold. These elections are about turnout, and by choosing a Ryan, you will get a more enthusiastic base, you will have a sharper and clearer contrast against Mr. Big Government and the election will become about big things again, because there is no one better at communicating the need to reform entitlements and the dangers of debt than Paul Ryan.3) The Convention. It is a great time to introduce himself as a credible person to lead the country. If he can have a great speech, with a supporting cast of great speakers, then that can place a favorable impression on undecided voters and gin up the base.4) The huge advertising and money advantage Romney will have going into the last 90 days. They will blanket the airwaves, set up massive telephone banks and knock on lots of doors. The ads will have a saturating effect, so they have to be done well, they have to be effective and they have to follow a narrative, if not, then it just becomes extra noise that people will tune out.5) The campaign. They have to be clear on their message and remain positive. Most voters are already disappointed in President Obama's performance, they'd like to see a change, they just want to make sure that the alternative could be better. So I would hope they talk about big things.

Paragraphs dude.

I will say that I agree with you and not to beat a dead horse but the media advantage BO has would make it difficult for any challenger.

That being said, you could see the level of frustration in the democratic party by the absurdity of the attacks and I think they are out of ideas (take the cancer ad for example which was a complete hail mary that they can't even justify on their own).

http://www.realclear...inaccurate.html

I'm a bit tired of hearing about how Mitt has to be more specific about what he's going to do by the media. Four years ago, BO simply kept saying "hope and change" and yet his specific ideas were rainbow farting unicorns.

Edited by meazza

<p>I did try typing it in paragraphs, but for someone reason this website has completely changed on me. When I respond to posts, it shows up in that format. Also, I don't have all the functions to quote, bold, underline etc.

I don't know whats up with this.

Edited by WorldTraveller

I did try typing it in paragraphs, but for someone reason this website has completely changed on me. When I respond to posts, it shows up in that format. Also, I don't have all the functions to quote, bold, underline etc.

I don't know whats up with this.

Works fine for me.

Are you using a smart phone?

I'm saying the economy sucks. Unemployment keeps staying above 8% and actually rose last month. The deficit it 50% higher than when Barry took office. Gas prices are back around $4/gallon. By any objective measure, and Barry's own words several years ago, his term has been a complete failure and he needs to be gone. Which is the reason why Barry and the MSM need to talk about everything but those problems, which trump the vapid gun rights, tax returns, "gaffes," contraception, and bogus tax calculators minutia.

Doc, you act like all the economic stuff is some guarded, well kept secret. When in fact how people are doing is something they're aware of EVERY SINGLE DAY. If the perception of a) the economy being so bad versus b) Mitt being so superior in making it better and c) it's dwarfs all other considerstions, why isn't Mitt-ahead in the polls? It's not like he'll be able to release some mythical Greek Kraken of economic data and destroy Obama before the election. ANYONE WHO CARES ABOUT GDP, UNEMPLOYMENT RATE, DEFICITS, ENERGY PRICES, ETC ETC ... ALREADY KNOWS THE NUMBERS.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Doc, you act like all the economic stuff is some guarded, well kept secret. When in fact how people are doing is something they're aware of EVERY SINGLE DAY. If the perception of a) the economy being so bad versus b) Mitt being so superior in making it better, Mitt would be ahead in the polls. It's not like he'll be able to release some mythical Greek Kraken of economic data and destroy Obama before the election. ANYONE WHO CARES ABOUT GDP, UNEMPLOYMENT RATE, DEFICITS, ENERGY PRICES, ETC ETC ... ALREADY KNOWS THE NUMBERS.

The majority of the polls you see are a hot mess. They're not reality. They're way over polling democrats, don't factor in the huge enthusiasm gap and they're not factoring in how many people are lying because they're afraid of being seen as a racist due to the MSM four year brow beating of anyone anti-Obama. Enjoy living in your liberal fantasy world till november. America knows a colossal failure when it sees one.

Printing money is not an "Obama" thing, sure he endorses it more so than Romney, but we've had a long tradition of this exercise in futility. However, I would say that Obama has no regard whatsoever in deficit spending, and honestly believes in his core that it is a right-wing boogeyman myth, created to scare from his perspective a bunch of mindless gun-toting, god fearing hicks..

Edited by WorldTraveller

The fact that Obama is even close is a scathing indictment of our society. Of course when roughly half the electorate thinks you can create wealth by printing money you're not long for collapse.

Yep.

I would...dispute that. America knows what they see on TV.

But.....but, but.....we're the best thing on earth. We are all that, plus a bag of chips. If we repeat that enough, everything will be ok!

Doc, you act like all the economic stuff is some guarded, well kept secret. When in fact how people are doing is something they're aware of EVERY SINGLE DAY. If the perception of a) the economy being so bad versus b) Mitt being so superior in making it better and c) it's dwarfs all other considerstions, why isn't Mitt-ahead in the polls? It's not like he'll be able to release some mythical Greek Kraken of economic data and destroy Obama before the election. ANYONE WHO CARES ABOUT GDP, UNEMPLOYMENT RATE, DEFICITS, ENERGY PRICES, ETC ETC ... ALREADY KNOWS THE NUMBERS.

If you believe the polls are truly getting a representative sample, which they usually aren't, the undecideds will be the ones to break the statistical dead heat. And in every election save one (Bush in 2004, when the country was doing much better than it is now), the undecideds go against the incumbent.

If you believe the polls are truly getting a representative sample, which they usually aren't, the undecideds will be the ones to break the statistical dead heat. And in every election save one (Bush in 2004, when the country was doing much better than it is now), the undecideds go against the incumbent.

The only polls you need to examine are those that poll "likely voters" demographics. That's it, and the best of those is Rasmussen. Rasmussen has Romney ahead by 4 points, 47% against 43% with 4% voting for another candidate and 5% undecided. Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Can't argue with the points, but the order is off. It certainly appears that the plan (if there is a plan) is to put everything in motion after the convention. If you believe that people's attention span is shrinking, then getting into high gear at end of August sounds about right.

And if you believe in the Idiocracy Paradigm, high gear time for the 2024 elections will be 9PM on the first Wednesday of November 2024.

Can't argue with the points, but the order is off. It certainly appears that the plan (if there is a plan) is to put everything in motion after the convention. If you believe that people's attention span is shrinking, then getting into high gear at end of August sounds about right.

And if you believe in the Idiocracy Paradigm, high gear time for the 2024 elections will be 9PM on the first Wednesday of November 2024.

I think they'll ramp things up after the Olympics are over, and then go full-force at/after Convention time.