Political Compass

While I was lurking, I read a thread about the political leanings of the board as an aggregate, and thought the topic to be interesting. Unfortunately, no consensus could be reached, because there was no barometer. What I now propose is to introduce that barometer in the form of a test called "The Political Compass" which I was introduced to years ago on another board. This poll is unique because rather than taking a linear "right vs. left" approach, it places the user on an x/y axis grid based on their responses. I plan on re-posting this poll annually.

After taking the test, please post your results. I'll go first:

Political Compass Test

Economic Left/Right: 6.62

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.97

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

I hate these types of questions. The use of Always and Never drive me crazy.

Economic Left/Right: 0.38

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.28

Somehow my views are most consistent with Francois Hollande and I want to vomit.

Edited by Jauronimo

These tests get posted every election cycle and they all have the same problem: they are all subject to the whims and personal beliefs of the author, both in grading and more importantly, the nature and phrasing of the questions.

Let's take the first question:

If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations.

WTF is that supposed to mean? Who says globalisation is serving anything? It's merely a word that refers to a complex of situations. And what does "serve humanity" mean anyway in such a context? And if you can come up with a definition for it, why can't a corporation accomplish both? Why the need to pose a question that makes it sound like those two things are polor opposites and one must choose one side or the other? Oh right, because we need to keep reinforcing the "corporations are evil" talking point.

Call me crazy, but I can't think of a better way to "serve humanity" than to create a few thousand private sector jobs.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess this particular test was written by some left wing Euro trying to pose as a serious person. They are easy to spot because they can never resist the "trans-national" or "multi-national" label on a corporation. I always wonder why no one cares if uni-national corporations "serve humanity".

I think The Big Cat did one of these some time ago. Didn't like it then, but what the hell.

Economic Left/Right: 6.78

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.10

I'm less libertarian because I don't think retards should have babies.

Edited by LeviF91

These tests get posted every election cycle and they all have the same problem: they are all subject to the whims and personal beliefs of the author, both in grading and more importantly, the nature and phrasing of the questions.

WTF is that supposed to mean? Who says globalisation is serving anything? It's merely a word that refers to a complex of situations. And what does "serve humanity" mean anyway in such a context? And if you can come up with a definition for it, why can't a corporation accomplish both? Why the need to pose a question that makes it sound like those two things are polor opposites and one must choose one side or the other? Oh right, because we need to keep reinforcing the "corporations are evil" talking point.

Call me crazy, but I can't think of a better way to "serve humanity" than to create a few thousand private sector jobs.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess this particular test was written by some left wing Euro trying to pose as a serious person. They are easy to spot because they can never resist the "trans-national" or "multi-national" label on a corporation. I always wonder why no one cares if uni-national corporations "serve humanity".

As with most polls, it is flawed. It is however, one of the better that I've seen. You might be well served to try taking the test and exploring the website before rendering your final judgment. I'd be interested in seeing how you grade out.

While I was lurking, I read a thread about the political leanings of the board as an aggregate, and thought the topic to be interesting. Unfortunately, no consensus could be reached, because there was no barometer. What I now propose is to introduce that barometer in the form of a test called "The Political Compass" which I was introduced to years ago on another board. This poll is unique because rather than taking a linear "right vs. left" approach, it places the user on an x/y axis grid based on their responses. I plan on re-posting this poll annually.

After taking the test, please post your results. I'll go first:

Political Compass Test

Economic Left/Right: 6.62

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.97

Your political compass

Economic Left/Right: 1.25

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.03

Yeah, I shared one of these about a month ago, and as KD rightly pointed out, there's no getting around the bias of the questioning...

Either way, I was set firmly in the Green Party/Libertarian Camp. And while I've always agreed with most of what the Green Party has to say (they had me "disrupting the status quo"), I always find their candidates to be borderline intolerable.

Yeah, I shared one of these about a month ago, and as KD rightly pointed out, there's no getting around the bias of the questioning...

Either way, I was set firmly in the Green Party/Libertarian Camp. And while I've always agreed with most of what the Green Party has to say (they had me "disrupting the status quo"), I always find their candidates to be borderline intolerable.

Say what?

Say what?

Well, those 2 parties are well known to have nearly identical platforms. :wacko: :wacko:

:wallbash: :wallbash:

Actually, in fairness, they are both usually in favor of legalizing pot, so TBC has that working for him. :P

Well, those 2 parties are well known to have nearly identical platforms. :wacko: :wacko:

:wallbash: :wallbash:

Actually, in fairness, they are both usually in favor of legalizing pot, so TBC has that working for him. :P

What can I say? Nobody paints The Big Cat into a corner!

I'm starting to think he prefers huffing glue.

No no. Taro had it right.

Yeah, question 1 is a non-starter for me. Knowing that there are 6 pages after that goofball made me shut it down. If it had been the last question, I'd at least have clicked something.

I hate these types of questions. The use of Always and Never drive me crazy.

Economic Left/Right: 0.38

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.28

Somehow my views are most consistent with Francois Hollande and I want to vomit.

Economic Left/Right: 0.25

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82

The double negative threw me too.....not even sure if I didn't answer right......

Economic Left/Right: 0.25

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82

The double negative threw me too.....not even sure if I didn't answer right......

Agreed. The double negative is not your strong suit.

I'm referring to the questions where very complex economic discussions are distilled down to always or never. One question was regarding the protection of certain industries from foreign trade. As a semi educated person I can make some case or find some example of where protecting a certain industry, which I'm generally against, made sense. Always and never ruin that question. There were a few more like that where I either must pick my answer based on where on the grid my response will land or answer the question honestly knowing that it will interpret my result as something very distant from what I actually believe.

Edited by Jauronimo