Harry Reid's Comments

/sigh

It's not OK to retcon the actual words people use because the connotations of the words you wish they had used instead are better for your argument. What you are attempting to do here is incredibly intellectually dishonest, and in this case, just plain dumb because we can just scroll up and see that you're lieing. Please try to do better.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow, in his mind, it's the same.

No worries tomato, the entire democratic party has the same belief that you do.

Its the same principal.

Both are in the wrong. The rich guy shouldn't be manipulating the tax system and the poor welfare recipient needs to get off his lazy behind and make an attempt to find a job instead of manipulating the welfare system! The world would be a better place if these people didn't take gross advantages of those systems.

/sigh

It's not OK to retcon the actual words people use because the connotations of the words you wish they had used instead are better for your argument. What you are attempting to do here is incredibly intellectually dishonest, and in this case, just plain dumb because we can just scroll up and see that you're lieing. Please try to do better.

Do you really believe the pseudo-intellectual drivel you post? You are like the Diane Chambers (Shelly Long from Cheers) of this board.

Its the same principal.

Both are in the wrong. The rich guy shouldn't be manipulating the tax system and the poor welfare recipient needs to get off his lazy behind and make an attempt to find a job instead of manipulating the welfare system! The world would be a better place if these people didn't take gross advantages of those systems.

Most are working and working hard. Look up what Walmart does. Like I said, they actually will steer an employee to obtaing gov't benefits.

Its the same principal.

You can't possibly be this dense. The guy obeying the law and paying the exact amount of taxes the tax code tells him he has to is't manipulating a damn thing. He's doing exactly as he's being told. The guy scamming the Department of Agriculture for a bigger welfare pay-out is committing fraud, which is an underhanded criminal act. The two are remarkably dissimilar.

Maybe instead of worrying about how much Mitt Romney pays in taxes, we should worry about how to cut spending.

I am sure some of the great minds of this country can find a way to lower the cost and improve the quality of both healthcare and education, while devising a plan to rebuild the soon to be failing infrastructure of the country in its entirety.

Furthermore, why not look into why we are spending so much more on our military than other major countries, while our military is so far ahead of theirs. Sure, there would be a cost associated with looking into that, but it could save us long term and make things more efficient.

I can't point out the inefficiencies and redundancies, but we all know they have to be there, as it seems we are overpaying for everything by a lot. If we stopped wasting energy and time trying to point the accusatory finger, things could settle down and get done.

But Romney's tax returns are more important.........

Maybe instead of worrying about how much Mitt Romney pays in taxes, we should worry about how to cut spending.

I am sure some of the great minds of this country can find a way to lower the cost and improve the quality of both healthcare and education, while devising a plan to rebuild the soon to be failing infrastructure of the country in its entirety.

Furthermore, why not look into why we are spending so much more on our military than other major countries, while our military is so far ahead of theirs. Sure, there would be a cost associated with looking into that, but it could save us long term and make things more efficient.

I can't point out the inefficiencies and redundancies, but we all know they have to be there, as it seems we are overpaying for everything by a lot. If we stopped wasting energy and time trying to point the accusatory finger, things could settle down and get done.

How the hell we gonna do that? Cut spending yet rebuild public infrastructure while fixing healthcare and education. You got a magic money wand.

Let me guess, going back to New Deal policies is out of the question?

I am not attacking you Adam... Just being blunt. Oh, I forgot... We can't tweak with the enviro to get there too.

You gotta be dreaming if such a plan can exist without conceeding something.

How the hell we gonna do that? Cut spending yet rebuild public infrastructure while fixing healthcare and education. You got a magic money wand.

Let me guess, going back to New Deal policies is out of the question?

I am not attacking you Adam... Just being blunt. Oh, I forgot... We can't tweak with the enviro to get there too.

You gotta be dreaming if such a plan can exist without conceeding something.

Never said that- find the redundancies in everything. Eliminate them. Prioritize. It is that simple. I'd bet we'd have money left over to be reducing the deficit. Even not being an economics major, it looks to me like we haven't made intelligent decisions. When you make the top job of your politicians to simply retain office, you tend to make bad decisions.

Never said that- find the redundancies in everything. Eliminate them. Prioritize. It is that simple. I'd bet we'd have money left over to be reducing the deficit. Even not being an economics major, it looks to me like we haven't made intelligent decisions. When you make the top job of your politicians to simply retain office, you tend to make bad decisions.

I agree to disagree. I bet we don't have the money. Heck, I work for the fed and they have trouble making the payroll every two weeks! That' hard to believe! WTF?

Its the same principal.

Yes, the man who pays millions a year should be compared to a guy who looks to never work and take money from taxpayers. :lol:

You can't possibly be this dense. The guy obeying the law and paying the exact amount of taxes the tax code tells him he has to is't manipulating a damn thing. He's doing exactly as he's being told. The guy scamming the Department of Agriculture for a bigger welfare pay-out is committing fraud, which is an underhanded criminal act. The two are remarkably dissimilar.

Again, somehow he thinks it's the same...

Yes, the man who pays millions a year should be compared to a guy who looks to never work and take money from taxpayers. :lol:

Again, somehow he thinks it's the same...

Both aren't the same, but the other statement is an overgenerallization of both groups

Not always. What is the % of the gov't budget on social welfare?

Are welfare recipients working and paying SOME taxes? Heck many work at Walmart. Walmart will even steer them to the gov't benefits so they won't have to make up the difference in higher wages.

Your argument doesn't hold too much water. Many are earning and giving to the gov't via taxes.

This in no way refutes (or even addresses, for that matter) the point I was making.

Fundamental - a basic principle, rule, law, or the like, that serves as the groundwork of a system;

That serves as the groundwork of a system. Hence the tax system and the welfare system. They both are applying the same principal. How do you not understand that.

Based on your response I now know I could write volumes on the matter and you'd still not understand.

Meanwhile.....................back at Harry Reid,

New York Times

Truculence Before Truth

FTA:

After the Senate leader made his accusation, the Salon.com writer Alex Seitz-Wald consulted several tax attorneys about its theoretical plausibility and determined that it was “nothing short of ludicrous.” Meanwhile, the Romney campaign — and, later, Romney himself — denied the charge.

Reid was unbowed. Inconsistent, too. At one point he told reporters from his home state of Nevada that “a number of people” had whispered to him of Romney’s alleged tax evasion, while at a subsequent point he issued a statement citing only “an extremely credible source,” singular. In neither instance did he hang any flesh on these bones.

I don’t think the burden should be on me,” said Reid, whose history of intemperate, borderline adolescent remarks was detailed in The Times by Michael D. Shear and Richard A. Oppel Jr. “The burden should be on him. He’s the one I’ve alleged has not paid any taxes.”

So if I just decide to allege that Reid levied that accusation under detailed and persistent instructions from the Obama campaign, the burden would be on him to provide all of his office’s e-mail and phone correspondence in order to contradict that?

Reid took a wholly legitimate source of concern — that Romney owes voters more candor and transparency than he has been willing to furnish — and undermined it by going too far and too farcical.

Jim to EII-(If he paid less of percentage than the average American but because his income is mostly capital gains and you can manipulate those gains under the system legally then would you still consider him a tax cheat? )

EII to Jim - (That is a tough one Chef. No matter who it is, you can't fault them for what they can legally get away with. But, you can't look up to them or put the on a pedestal either. Like you said, you have to view them as a "tax manipulator.")

Jim to EII - (I'm sorry but someone who uses the tax code to their advantage goes on a pedestal in my book. I help people mitigate their tax burden all the time utilizing all the tools we have at our disposal. One fo the favorite parts of my job. )

Easy with the spin Tom. The back and forth between Jim and EII is above. Jim pretty much said he was okay with people USING the tools they have legally to manipulate those gains!

It's not spin. He said "use the tax code" where you said "manipulate the tax code."

He said "manipulate capital gains". Which isn't even remotely the same.

CNN Money

Calling BS on Reid's Bain tax claims

By Dan Primack

Harry Reid is either a liar or a lousy critical thinker.

FORTUNE -- Senator Harry Reid (D-NV) made political waves today by claiming that a Bain Capital investor told him that Mitt Romney didn't pay any taxes for a 10-year period.

One of two things has happened: (1) Reid is simply making the whole thing up, in order to pressure Romney into releasing tax returns for years prior to 2010, or (2) Reid's investor pal lied, and the Senator didn't bother to conduct even a mild vetting before sharing the accusation with reporters. Either way, shame on gossipy gentleman from Nevada.

Let me make this crystal clear: Investors in private equity funds do not receive, nor are they entitled to request, personal tax returns for fund managers. Not just at Bain Capital, but everywhere. For example, ask the person managing your 401(k) for their personal tax returns. See how far you get.

What makes this particular claim even sillier, of course, is that Romney hasn't even been managing Bain funds for the past 10 years (no matter when you believe he left the firm). He's been a silent investor like Harvard and MIT. Think the guy managing private equity for Harvard can get the personal tax returns of the guy managing private equity for MIT? Yes, that's another rhetorical question.

And just to close the circle, it also isn't possible that Reid's source was someone within Bain because partner tax returns are not prepared or reviewed in the firm's offices. Instead, that's done at PricewaterhouseCoopers. So no "maybe someone found it on a fax machine" theories. It's also possible that someone else at Bain didn't pay taxes for 10 years, but that wouldn't necessarily mean that Romney did or didn't (he does have other financial interests).

A Reid spokesman defended his boss to me on the phone, only saying that I'd have to talk to Reid's original source. But of course he wouldn't provide the source, or even ask Reid if there had been a follow-up like "How the hell would you know that?"

Whatever the truth about Romney's tax history, we know that Reid's "source" is full of it.

That's your opinion. You don't have any trust and faith in the government. This doesn't mean blind faith. I am not advocating for blind faith.

We have become a sad nation of selfish skeptics.

LOL! The government has proven time and time again that they waste our money. Whether it be through inefficiency, incompetence, or mostly fraud, our money is wasted. Anyone trying to deny that is a fool.

You are absolutely right! Reid and Pelosi and taking advantage of them also. They are also saying the wealthy should pay more. Why don't repubs turn the tables on Reid and Pelosi and say yes the wealthy should pay more let get this tax code crap right and make sure the wealthy pay their share. It surely would take money out of Reid & Pelosi pocket!

They're lying. You know how I know? Their lips are moving. If they truly cared about the wealthy paying more, they would have DONE something about it in the first 2 years of Barry's term. It's no different than Warry Buffett going along with the "Buffett Rule" to get special considerations, because he knows the thing will never pass. Ever.

If he cheated I want to know! Mitt should call on both Barry and him to release their taxes at the same time and the let the people decide.

Along with that, Barry should have to release his college transcripts and the OF&F docs. I want to see just how much of a liar and/or cheat Barry is. But this won't happen because Barry stands to lose a lot more than Romney does.

So the needs of the poor are PAID for! Got it. I knew it wasn't the welfare recipients running the deficits up. Since that welfare stuff is paid for we need the 1% to up their share so we can reduce the deficits they helped cause by manipulating their taxes.

See above about what wasn't done in Barry's first 2 years. Again, this is nothing new and didn't suddenly become a problem until Barry needed to get desperate in his bid for re-election. And as for allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire on the "rich" making over $250K/year, at best you're looking at recouping $80B/year, in the face of a $15t debt.

Its the same principal.

I'll take Romney's "manipulated" $3M in income taxes in 2010 versus the nothing the welfare recipient provides both in taxes and production.

Those great minds were ignored and instead we got the abortion that is Obamacare. And the Dems' answer is "spend more money" instead of trying to fix the underlying problems. As I've said before, it's wasting money trying to treat the symptoms, while the underlying disease continues to worsen and will ultimately prove fatal.

CNN Money

Calling BS on Reid's Bain tax claims

By Dan Primack

Harry Reid is either a liar or a lousy critical thinker.

No. Harry Reid is an azz munch and a political hack of the first degree.

I despise him. (but note - I don't wish someone would shoot him before the election - which is close to a federal crime, and might soon be one if the current administration retains power - but only if the object of the vilification and target of said same bullets is a Democrat).

Those great minds were ignored and instead we got the abortion that is Obamacare. And the Dems' answer is "spend more money" instead of trying to fix the underlying problems. As I've said before, it's wasting money trying to treat the symptoms, while the underlying disease continues to worsen and will ultimately prove fatal.

Yes, the democrats have the ACA and entitlements, while the republicans hold fast to tax breaks and the military. Neither wants to budge, because doing that allows ground to the other side. Each time one of them wins, we lose........

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Mitt Romney riding his horse to Switzerland with overstuffed bags with $ signs on them, all the while laughing like Snidely Whiplash. I guess it's pretty serious.