Harry Reid's Comments

You have a link to that Hannity thing? Not that I don't trust your memory...aw, who am I kidding? I don't trust ANYONE'S memory! Link?

No link. It was on their TV show. I remember Sean Hannity & Alan Colmes going at it about John Kerry wifes not releasing her tax returns. Below is a link of people that ran for office. All of them were pointing fingers at each other about their personal tax returns.

http://www.wben.com/pages/13738705.php?contentType=4&contentId=11056873

Also here is a quote from Mitt.

In an interview on Fox News Channel Monday morning, Romney -- under pressure from not only the Obama campaign but also some in his own party to release additional tax returns -- suggested he is the victim of a double standard.

“John Kerry ran for president; you know, his wife, who has hundreds of millions of dollars -- she never released her tax returns,” Romney said. “Somehow this wasn’t an issue.”

http://www.boston.com/politicalintelligence/2012/07/16/john-kerry-office-blasts-mitt-romney-over-inaccurate-claims-about-tax-returns/PJibKCCrwcbusf3g0K5nXK/story.html

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No link. It was on their TV show. I remember Sean Hannity & Alan Colmes going at it about John Kerry wifes not releasing her tax returns. Below is a link of people that ran for office. All of them were pointing fingers at each other about their personal tax returns.

http://www.wben.com/pages/13738705.php?contentType=4&contentId=11056873

Also here is a quote from Mitt.

In an interview on Fox News Channel Monday morning, Romney -- under pressure from not only the Obama campaign but also some in his own party to release additional tax returns -- suggested he is the victim of a double standard.

“John Kerry ran for president; you know, his wife, who has hundreds of millions of dollars -- she never released her tax returns,” Romney said. “Somehow this wasn’t an issue.”

http://www.boston.com/politicalintelligence/2012/07/16/john-kerry-office-blasts-mitt-romney-over-inaccurate-claims-about-tax-returns/PJibKCCrwcbusf3g0K5nXK/story.html

Thanks for the link. And Romney is right to point-out that the Dems had no problem with Kerry not releasing his wife's tax returns.

And if I were Romney, I'd demand Barry release his 1997-1999 tax returns before he releases his. Along with his college transcripts and the OF&F docs. Let's lay it ALL out on the table and see who the real crook is.

Thanks for the link. And Romney is right to point-out that the Dems had no problem with Kerry not releasing his wife's tax returns.

Your welcome. I agree he can point that out. But fair game is fair game.

Trent Lot & the Repubs went after Mondale Vice Presidential Canidate Geraldine Ferraro husband over his personal taxes. They found it to be fair game. Maybe it's time Mitt show the voters the tax returns. If he is a tax cheat he will have to take his medicine for it but he can still win. Reagan had plenty to hide in his tax returns. Pressure was on him to release them. He released them and showed the world what he had to hide. It was awfully embarrassing but he recovered.

So say he releases his returns and it shows he paid less than the average American percentage-wise, but still paid a lot in taxes. Is the percentage more important, or the amount? Does either really make a difference WRT how he would be as a president? Barry released 7 years of taxes, no one had a problem with them, and he's been a disaster.

So say he releases his returns and it shows he paid less than the average American percentage-wise, but still paid a lot in taxes. Is the percentage more important, or the amount? Does either really make a difference WRT how he would be as a president? Barry released 7 years of taxes, no one had a problem with them, and he's been a disaster.

The percentage is more important. I would hope he didn't pay less than the average working American.

No I don't believe that it would make a difference WRT how he would be as a President.

Cheats make good bosses/executives/presidents: "Don't do as I do, do as I tell you."

What more do you want from an executive?

Look at Bob Kraft... He is a great owner for the Pats*! Yet, he used to sneak 6 people in on 4 season tickets @ Foxboro Stadium to watch the Patriots games. He was a nail in the coffin for the old owners (Sullivan boys, then Kiam)... He saved some bucks and then bought the team! You think he will allow theft of service now that he runs the big show in AsteriskLand? He would sit on those metal benches and dream what he would do with the crooks robbing him of millions of dollars!

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2005/0919/122.html

Amazing how these crooks justify their crookery... Mitt is no better, he is even an ex-Mass Hole too:

""We were fans; we knew all the tricks," says Kraft, 64. It hardly mattered how many people sneaked in: The Patriots never sold out Foxboro (then called Sullivan Stadium) and lost hundreds of games on the field and millions of dollars off of it. "I used to sit on those benches and dream about what I would do if I owned the team," he says.

Some 20 years later Kraft, who made his fortune buying out and building up his father-in-law's product-packaging business, delivered on that cold, hard dream. In 1994 he paid a then- unheard-of $172 million to buy a faltering, moneylosing franchise that had won less than half of its games (225 of 510) since its founding in 1959. Since then Kraft has transformed the Patriots into one of the most valuable sports franchises in the world."

Maybe that is Obama's fault? We need a crook in office to police & stop the other crooks... Stop the bleeding (losing on the field and sneaking people in) like Kraft did. Who knows the crooks better than well... A crook!

:-(

% is most important... We have a progressive tax system. Progressive tax systems are not a new concept and they are justifiably fair. You make more you pay more. With more personal income, a greater % goes to luxury items than just trying to stay alive (subsistence).

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

The percentage is more important. I would hope he didn't pay less than the average working American.

No I don't believe that it would make a difference WRT how he would be as a President.

Most rich people pay less in percentage than the average working American, but pay far more in total amount. The tax laws allow for deductions to be made to lower tax burden and everyone would be wise to make use of them to their fullest extent. But this isn't a new development as the tax laws have existed for decades, and nothing was done to change them in the past, much less in Barry's first 2 years. That's because Congresscritters like Reid and Pelosi are taking advantage of them. That's why Barry and Congresscritters complaining about how the rich pay less percentage-wise is a joke and is purely political. The same goes for the Bush-era tax cuts. Back in 2010, Barry said that it would be unwise to restore previous tax levels to even the wealthiest in a bad economy. But now that the economy is flagging again, it's a good idea? :rolleyes:

Cheats make good bosses/executives/presidents: "Don't do as I do, do as I tell you."

Look at Bob Kraft... He is a great owner for the Pats*! Yet, he used to sneak 6 people in on 4 season tickets @ Foxboro Stadium to watch the Patriots games. He was a nail in the coffin for the old owners (Sullivan boys, then Kiam)... He saved some bucks and then bought the team! You think he will allow theft of service now that he runs the big show in AsteriskLand? He would sit on those metal benches and dream what he would do with the crooks robbing him of millions of dollars!

Amazing how these crooks justify their crookery... Mitt is no better, he is even an ex-Mass Hole too:

""We were fans; we knew all the tricks," says Kraft, 64. It hardly mattered how many people sneaked in: The Patriots never sold out Foxboro (then called Sullivan Stadium) and lost hundreds of games on the field and millions of dollars off of it. "I used to sit on those benches and dream about what I would do if I owned the team," he says.

Some 20 years later Kraft, who made his fortune buying out and building up his father-in-law's product-packaging business, delivered on that cold, hard dream. In 1994 he paid a then- unheard-of $172 million to buy a faltering, moneylosing franchise that had won less than half of its games (225 of 510) since its founding in 1959. Since then Kraft has transformed the Patriots into one of the most valuable sports franchises in the world."

Maybe that is Obama's fault? We need a crook in office to police & stop the other crooks... Stop the bleeding (losing on the field and sneaking people in) like Kraft did. Who knows the crooks better than well... A crook!

You don't think Barry cheated on his returns from 1997-1999, hence the reason he didn't release them? Or that any of his dealings as president would qualify as shady? If so, I've got a solar panel company to sell you, cheap.

% is most important... We have a progressive tax system. Progressive tax systems are not a new concept and they are justifiably fair. You make more you pay more. With more personal income, a greater % goes to luxury items than just trying to stay alive (subsistence).

The poor have the same deal. Their needs are paid-for, so they can pay for their wants. The middle class should be more pissed at the far greater number of people on welfare than the less than 1% who pay a lower percentage in taxes, but still pay a ton.

Sorry, foul. He didn't build that.

If he paid less of percentage than the average American but because his income is mostly capital gains and you can manipulate those gains under the system legally then would you still consider him a tax cheat?

If he paid less of percentage than the average American but because his income is mostly capital gains and you can manipulate those gains under the system legally then would you still consider him a tax cheat?

That is a tough one Chef. No matter who it is, you can't fault them for what they can legally get away with. But, you can't look up to them or put the on a pedestal either. Like you said, you have to view them as a "tax manipulator."

Sorry, foul. He didn't build that.

Those weren't my words. That is a quote from Forbes.

That is a tough one Chef. No matter who it is, you can't fault them for what they can legally get away with. But, you can't look up to them or put the on a pedestal either. Like you said, you have to view them as a "tax manipulator."

I'm sorry but someone who uses the tax code to their advantage goes on a pedestal in my book. I help people mitigate their tax burden all the time utilizing all the tools we have at our disposal. One fo the favorite parts of my job.

I'm sorry but someone who uses the tax code to their advantage goes on a pedestal in my book. I help people mitigate their tax burden all the time utilizing all the tools we have at our disposal. One fo the favorite parts of my job.

I don't think I would put him on a pedestal for doing what is expected- and I do expect this type of action. Why wouldn't somebody use the tax code to their benefit? Now if he took those profits and donated them to a viable charity or something like that, then, I would put him on a pedestal.

As far as the original thread, Reid should be ashamed of himself.

"But if that's all he did, why not release his tax returns? Obviously, he's a tax cheat."

Ah yes, Romney should pay more taxes than he's legally obligated to pay. :rolleyes:

And I'm still trying to figure out if Harry is claiming that Romney didn't file tax returns and thus didn't pay any taxes, or had enough deductions that his tax burden was zero? Is that possible?

Ah yes, Romney should pay more taxes than he's legally obligated to pay. :rolleyes:

And I'm still trying to figure out if Harry is claiming that Romney didn't file tax returns and thus didn't pay any taxes, or had enough deductions that his tax burden was zero? Is that possible?

Of course it's possible. Let's say all his income is from cap gains and let's say he had $10mill in realized capital gains. He sells $10mill of his cap losses which offset the gains and his tax liability is $0. Now the chances he had those kinds of losses every year is probably unlikely but you never know.

Of course it's possible. Let's say all his income is from cap gains and let's say he had $10mill in realized capital gains. He sells $10mill of his cap losses which offset the gains and his tax liability is $0. Now the chances he had those kinds of losses every year is probably unlikely but you never know.

But in the 2007-2008-2009 time frame, not impossible (even likely in '08). Which I got the impression was the time frame Reid was referring to.

Which is shocking on Reid's part - he missed the obvious "Paid no taxes while he was being bailed out by your tax money" sound byte. I'm guessing he wants the tax returns to lay the groundwork for it...