Pat Kirwan's 5 Questions from Bills Camp

from CBS Sports

2. Will the Bills be able to rush the passer without blitzing?

Dave Wannstedt is the new defensive coordinator and he likes to get after opposing quarterbacks without blitzing, if at all possible. Mario Williams is playing on the left side and will see slide protection all the time. Right tackles can't handle him. Mark Anderson is on the right side and looked very explosive at practice. He will be single blocked by the left tackle and should be a 12-sack player this year opposite Williams. The real impressive part of the front four is the inside rushers. Marcel Dareus and Kyle Williams can both beat guards on their way to the QB. As Williams pointed out, "One of us is getting a single block inside and we have to win and I think we can."

and

5. Can the defense match up with the spread offenses they face?

The Bills' nickel defense means linebackers Kirk Morrison and Kelvin Sheppard leave and safety Bryan Scott enters at linebacker with either cornerback Terrence McGee or Leodis McKelvin. Some opponents will look at this adjustment as a dime defense with six defensive backs on the field and look to run the ball occasionally. The Bills' offense checked to the run a few times in practice against this personnel group and had some real success.

And this...

3. Will the rookies be ready for the opener?

Like every team, the Bills need immediate rookie impacts. Cordy Glenn has to win the left tackle job and Stephon Gilmore must be the lockdown corner this team doesn't have right now. After practice, I say Gilmore is close to being ready for the job. After interviewing him, I am more convinced. Gilmore is quietly confident, not overwhelmed by the pace of installation of the defense and enjoys the daily challenge of covering Steve Johnson. Glenn is in a battle with Chris Hairston. Glenn must win if the Bills are going to improve their offensive line. Keep in mind Buffalo likes the silent count out of the no huddle, which puts stress on the young tackle. When I watched him in one-on-one blocking drills he showed the ability to dominate defenders. I think both rookies will be ready for Week 1.

And this...

3. Will the rookies be ready for the opener?

Like every team, the Bills need immediate rookie impacts. Cordy Glenn has to win the left tackle job and Stephon Gilmore must be the lockdown corner this team doesn't have right now. After practice, I say Gilmore is close to being ready for the job. After interviewing him, I am more convinced. Gilmore is quietly confident, not overwhelmed by the pace of installation of the defense and enjoys the daily challenge of covering Steve Johnson. Glenn is in a battle with Chris Hairston. Glenn must win if the Bills are going to improve their offensive line. Keep in mind Buffalo likes the silent count out of the no huddle, which puts stress on the young tackle. When I watched him in one-on-one blocking drills he showed the ability to dominate defenders. I think both rookies will be ready for Week 1.

Kirwan is right, we need these two to step up and it's encouraging he thinks they will.

Edited by hondo in seattle

What if Hairston is clearly better?

PTR

And why is it that Hairston did not get better last year? Because I am among those who thought he was getting better. The LT is a challenging spot and this guy came in to the league not projected as an imidiate impact player that stepped in last year behind the pack. I would not cry if he started this year because I know that Glenn will challenge the spot and the better player will win.

And why is it that Hairston did not get better last year? Because I am among those who thought he was getting better. The LT is a challenging spot and this guy came in to the league not projected as an imidiate impact player that stepped in last year behind the pack. I would not cry if he started this year because I know that Glenn will challenge the spot and the better player will win.

From what I read Hairston camp to camp in the best shape of his life determined not to lose his job to Glenn.

PTR

Is that really true? What if he isn't the clearcut starter?

kj

The OL unlike the DL cannot switch players in the middle of the game as it will lose the rhythm and continuity. We would have to go with one starter at LT and stick with him until he sucks or is injured. The question is: Has Glenn done enough to unseat Hairston. The preseason will decide the winner of that competition.

The new nickel is something I worry about.

I think they need to work on this a lot...I wish I had tape!

Not me...Wilson has proven he's not affraid to get in the mix at the line and supports the run D very well. Byrd, last year, proved he's refined his all around skills and can get in there too. This is also one part of Gillmores game that was impressive in college as well. And Scott...yet another good run supprt DB/LB tweener.

Now, covering TE's is a different story.

We just may have the best defensive line in football. yeah yeah..they haven't played a game yet, butWilliams and Williams have both been all-pro and Dareus has a ton of talent, and Anderson has proven to be a very good rusher. The linebackers seem to be the key. If they perform we could be ready for the playoffs.