K John Potter

If John Potter completely out performs Rian Lindell, which he has to this point, how does Chan Gailey NOT start him over Rian Lindell? Camp is to figure out which players are best suited to make the team, so shouldn't the better performer be rewarded with a starting nod?

I know it's early in camp but Potter hasn't missed a single field goal. He's already going to have a roster spot just for his leg on kick offs. So why not give Lindell's roster spot to a guy like Carrington, Troup, D. Edwards, Aiken, Hagan or anybody else that deserves it. Seems smart to me.

" Both Rian Lindell and John Potter tried field goals from 45 yards, 49 yards, 55 yards and 59 yards. Potter nailed them all and his 59-yard field goal sailed right thru the middle. Lindell hit the upright on the 55-yard field goal and appeared to be a bit short on the the 59-yard field goal."

I personally am hoping Potter takes Lindell's roster spot. The better player should always win in situations like this. No matter the tenure of the incumbent.

Edited by DukeyBomb

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Potter won't take Lindell's roster spot. He's probably just going to be used for kickoffs even though that sounds a little like wasting a roster spot. (but we're going to be scoring a lot of TDs so we're going to need him) ;)

About Potter making it from 59 yards out, you think he's going to do that in the Ralph. The winds swirl so bad in there that you need Lindell's experience to make it from 35-out probably. I've seen many kicks that look like their going wide and then curve in drastically.

St John Fisher doesn't have the problem that the Ralph has so until I see Potter kick it from 75 yards out during pre-game in the winter, I want Lindell to be the FG kicker for the Buffalo Bills.

I think you want the experience on gameday that Lindell has. He is automatic from anythig short of 45 yards. I personally think the kid makes the roster as well and is the kickoff and 50+ yard FG guy. Chan won't let go of Lindell until 1 of 2 things happen. Either Lindell starts missing kicks that cost us games or the young kid starts making huge kicks under pressure to win games and prove he's the future. Making kicks in practice with no pressure are easy.

When he hits those in actual games with 300#ers rushing him, you might have an argument.

It's one thing to replace Moorman, a spot where accuracy is less exact, where his leg and touch have slipped and where there's no points at stake.

Lindell is arguably the best Bills kicker ever. He's here for another couple-few years, barring getting injured and Potter coming in like gangbusters and not missing a beat.

If Brad Smith is kept at the 3rd QB slot, we're already saving a roster spot from the 53. If Gailey, DeHaven and Co. believe that keeping this kid for KOs is worth it over a spare LB/DT/OL, I'm gonna have to defer.

Until Lindell start losing games (which he has yet to do), the job is his. He has been ridiculously clutch and I am in no rush to ship him out.....

Lindell has lost many games when the Bills were actually a more competitive team. The Pittsburgh game, he misses a kick and then Phil Dawson makes one for eth Browns that is even further and against the win, misses 3 chippies against San Fran, he is a below average kicker and Potter should take his job.

Lindell has lost many games when the Bills were actually a more competitive team. The Pittsburgh game, he misses a kick and then Phil Dawson makes one for eth Browns that is even further and against the win, misses 3 chippies against San Fran, he is a below average kicker and Potter should take his job.

Exactly. I was at the KC game when he missed the OT kick as well.

Some of you guys have selective memory. Lindell has missed some big kicks over the past couple years. Can i give you specific games? no, but i do recall several times thinking,,Man, Lindell used to be automatic from there. I'm not handing Potter his job but i hope the Bills keep Potter on thr roster since he could be a solid pro in seasons to come.

I agree with the original poster. My opinion is if Potter can go through all of training camp not missing kick, then kicks well all preseason, Lindell is as good as gone. He is not that good, not even a top 15 kicker in the league. His lack of range costs us tons of points, I cant even remember how many times we had a chance at a 50+ yd field goal and punted or turned it over on downs. Sometimes even 48-49 yarders- Chan doesn't trust Rian with them at all. In the NFL you have to be automatic on everything inside 45 yards. If Potter can't do that, I would consider keeping Lindell around til he teaches him how to kick at the Ralph. This was a draft pick people, he must be amazing to be drafted. Anyone that wants to keep Lindell is holding on to the past in my opinion. As an avid fantasy football player, I can tell you that every single week there are a lot of fg 50+ yds kicked, and some players regularly hit 55-60 yarders! Lindell is a liability in my opinion and I am about as optimistic person there is... If I were GM, no way I cut one of those DL to keep Lindell

You can call Lindell many things, but clutch is far from them when the pressure is on. He is consistently average.

I agree with the original poster. My opinion is if Potter can go through all of training camp not missing kick, then kicks well all preseason, Lindell is as good as gone. He is not that good, not even a top 15 kicker in the league. His lack of range costs us tons of points, I cant even remember how many times we had a chance at a 50+ yd field goal and punted or turned it over on downs. Sometimes even 48-49 yarders- Chan doesn't trust Rian with them at all. In the NFL you have to be automatic on everything inside 45 yards. If Potter can't do that, I would consider keeping Lindell around til he teaches him how to kick at the Ralph. This was a draft pick people, he must be amazing to be drafted. Anyone that wants to keep Lindell is holding on to the past in my opinion. As an avid fantasy football player, I can tell you that every single week there are a lot of fg 50+ yds kicked, and some players regularly hit 55-60 yarders! Lindell is a liability in my opinion and I am about as optimistic person there is... If I were GM, no way I cut one of those DL to keep Lindell

I agree with this. I can't even count the number of times I have been upset because the team decided to punt instead of trying a 50-56 yard field goal. When you have a kicker that can't make those kicks though, it makes sense.

You're selective memory not allowing you to remember how bad our kicking game was after Lindell got hurt last year? Of course you don't. He should just go join Fitz on the street corner begging for change because they're worthless human beings and according to you, ugly women.

Potter won't take Lindell's roster spot. He's probably just going to be used for kickoffs even though that sounds a little like wasting a roster spot. (but we're going to be scoring a lot of TDs so we're going to need him) ;)

About Potter making it from 59 yards out, you think he's going to do that in the Ralph. The winds swirl so bad in there that you need Lindell's experience to make it from 35-out probably. I've seen many kicks that look like their going wide and then curve in drastically.

St John Fisher doesn't have the problem that the Ralph has so until I see Potter kick it from 75 yards out during pre-game in the winter, I want Lindell to be the FG kicker for the Buffalo Bills.

The winds aren't windy every game at the Ralph. And again, I know it's early in camp but it's not like Lindell is kicking field goals at the Ralph right now and Potter at SJFC. The competition is even right now. They both have the same conditions and it's on an even playing field. So if Potter out performs Lindell on an even playing field, you should take the most accurate of the two. Lindell is not that good.

To those talking about his contract extension. It was a smart move. You don't want to not have any insurance if your 7th round kicker doesn't pan out. :D

You're selective memory not allowing you to remember how bad our kicking game was after Lindell got hurt last year? Of course you don't. He should just go join Fitz on the street corner begging for change because they're worthless human beings and according to you, ugly women.

What the hell does this mean? The only thing it means is the guy we brought in after Lindell was worse. Doesn't mean Potter isn't better and doesn't deserve Lindell's spot

Edited by DukeyBomb

I really hope Potter makes the team.

I cant see the Bills using a draft pick on a kicker if they didnt have a plan to use him during the season.

From what I read about Potter on Wikipedia, it sounds like he can be used in more than one scenerio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Potter_(American_football)

"Potter left Western Michigan as the all-time leader in career points (333), consecutive point after touchdowns (PATs) made in a season (57) and consecutive PATs made in a career (129). His 129 consecutive PATs is also a Mid-American Conference (MAC) record.[1] Potter recorded 36 touchbacks his senior season which ranked third in the nation. Potter also holds the school record for tackles by a kicker (36). In addition, he scored a rushing touchdown on a fake field goal, ran in a two-point conversion and recovered two fumbles on kick-off coverage.[2]

Potter was named third team All-MAC his junior and senior season. He was also named conference special teams player of the week four times.[2] He was named first team Academic All-American his senior season and graduated summa cum laude."

If John Potter completely out performs Rian Lindell, which he has to this point, how does Chan Gailey NOT start him over Rian Lindell? Camp is to figure out which players are best suited to make the team, so shouldn't the better performer be rewarded with a starting nod?

I know it's early in camp but Potter hasn't missed a single field goal. He's already going to have a roster spot just for his leg on kick offs. So why not give Lindell's roster spot to a guy like Carrington, Troup, D. Edwards, Aiken, Hagan or anybody else that deserves it. Seems smart to me.

" Both Rian Lindell and John Potter tried field goals from 45 yards, 49 yards, 55 yards and 59 yards. Potter nailed them all and his 59-yard field goal sailed right thru the middle. Lindell hit the upright on the 55-yard field goal and appeared to be a bit short on the the 59-yard field goal."

I personally am hoping Potter takes Lindell's roster spot. The better player should always win in situations like this. No matter the tenure of the incumbent.

A rookie PK has hit some FGs in a practice setting and he has "completely outperformed" Lindell? That's a good one.

A rookie PK has hit some FGs in a practice setting and he has "completely outperformed" Lindell? That's a good one.

Agreed! Lindell's earned his place, carry Potter as the dedicated kickoff guy and maybe give him a shot once in a while to hit 1 of those desperation 55+ FG at the end of half or regulation.... but lets not jump gun based on some practices or even pre-season performance.

The way I look at the is there is minimal upside to making Potter theonly kicker, yes Potter could be better than Lindell but Lindell is already a very good kicker with a strong track record. The risk is weighted to the downside that is we replace Lindell and Potter is unable to handle the job.

The winds aren't windy every game at the Ralph. And again, I know it's early in camp but it's not like Lindell is kicking field goals at the Ralph right now and Potter at SJFC. The competition is even right now. They both have the same conditions and it's on an even playing field. So if Potter out performs Lindell on an even playing field, you should take the most accurate of the two. Lindell is not that good.

To those talking about his contract extension. It was a smart move. You don't want to not have any insurance if your 7th round kicker doesn't pan out. :D

What the hell does this mean? The only thing it means is the guy we brought in after Lindell was worse. Doesn't mean Potter isn't better and doesn't deserve Lindell's spot

Well it means that we're doing the typical Bills fan thing where everybody who is on the team sucks and anyone else is better. Potter has never even kicked on an NFL game before and people want to replace Lindell with him because of 1 kick in training camp. Lindell is a good NFL kicker, cherry picking missed kicks from over the years doesn't make him bad. Every kicker is going to miss some. There are guys who are better than him and there are a lot who are worse.

And it's not to say Potter can't eventually replace him someday, but to give him Lindell's job based on nothing but training camp and the preseason seems like a bad idea. Let him be the kickoff guy and try a few kicks in games that are out of hand. But I'm not ready and it doesn't look like Gailey wants to trust a rookie full time.

If John Potter completely out performs Rian Lindell, which he has to this point, how does Chan Gailey NOT start him over Rian Lindell?

He has ? How do you know ?

Also, FG kicking is so much more than just having a big leg. But you already knew that.

EDIT: eball beat me to it

Edited by Fan in Chicago