Question about competitive swimming

bbb

I keep reading where Phelps got the worst lane, and nobody wins from lane 8, etc. But, none of them have explained why this is?.........I don't get it. It's the same distance. Maybe you can't see your competitors as good? Or do you even look at them anyway?

I keep reading where Phelps got the worst lane, and nobody wins from lane 8, etc. But, none of them have explained why this is?.........I don't get it. It's the same distance. Maybe you can't see your competitors as good? Or do you even look at them anyway?

One of my friends on fb made this same comment as well. Maybe the waves/splash from other swimmers slows them down? I'll ask and see if I get a response that will clear it up.

One of my friends on fb made this same comment as well. Maybe the waves/splash from other swimmers slows them down? I'll ask and see if I get a response that will clear it up.

I'd guess it has something to do with the waves hitting the pool wall next to you and rebounding back into you.

Lane 8 is the one that everyone pees in.

I'd guess it has something to do with the waves hitting the pool wall next to you and rebounding back into you.

Along the same idea as drafting in motor racing, running, cycling, etc. as they don't continue cascading through the pool away from you. And so they put up some measure of resistance in a sport that's so often now decided by fractions of a second.

To follow that, if you're relegted to the outside lanes based on heat results, you're not really in contention.

Along the same idea as drafting in motor racing, running, cycling, etc. as they don't continue cascading through the pool away from you. And so they put up some measure of resistance in a sport that's so often now decided by fractions of a second.

To follow that, if you're relegted to the outside lanes based on heat results, you're not really in contention.

Yup - the water is choppier, and you already were the slowest going in.

Brendan Hansen (USA) says hi. Won a bronze from lane 8 last night in the 100m breast.

Impossible! Those who are answering about it because the swimmer isn't that good - well, that is not the point. I keep reading about how the lane is so bad. I wish these writers would explain themselves. Do they think anybody pays attention to swimming other than in the Olympics?

Impossible! Those who are answering about it because the swimmer isn't that good - well, that is not the point. I keep reading about how the lane is so bad. I wish these writers would explain themselves. Do they think anybody pays attention to swimming other than in the Olympics?

I pay attention quite a bit..as i went to school on a swimming scholarship and my daughter is a pretty good swimmer in her own right..

Old days( when i swam in the laste 70's to mid 80's, outside lanes did have wave backwash..and several pools also had return jets etc on the walls so can provide negative current etc.

Olympic/National Championship pools just do not have these concerns these days, but the perception persists. As mentioned, this is a ten lane pool, only the inside 8 lanes are used, jets come from the bottom..no freaking way lane 8 is any worse than lane 4.

you always hear caoches say to swimmers in prelims in rtelays" get us a lane for finals" not "get us an inside lane"

Edited by plenzmd1

Didn't say that. It means they were last based on the heat results... where swimmers routinely take something off their performances to conserve for the final (and perhaps drive some of the lesser competition, who may be going all out in the heat, into the final). So, while it's not a rule that's set in stone, it is generally a rule of thumb with the idea that swimmers are marginally 'taking something off' by a similar %.

Phelps swam like ass in his heat, got relegated to 8, swam better in the final but not well enough. Did the lane have much to do with being (iirc) ~3 seconds behind Lochte in the 400IM? No. Phelps isn't at the peak he was in 2008. The commentators said he was basically dragging himself out of the pool. But then again, Phelps held his own in the relay last night and Lochte blew a full body-length lead to the French. So... [shrug].

I pay attention quite a bit..as i went to school on a swimming scholarship and my daughter is a pretty good swimmer in her own right..

Old days( when i swam in the laste 70's to mid 80's, outside lanes did have wave backwash..and several pools also had return jets etc on the walls so can provide negative current etc.

Olympic/National Championship pools just do not have these concerns these days, but the perception persists. As mentioned, this is a ten lane pool, only the inside 8 lanes are used, jets come from the bottom..no freaking way lane 8 is any worse than lane 4.

you always hear caoches say to swimmers in prelims in rtelays" get us a lane for finals" not "get us an inside lane"

Thanks. Interesting that it's now really about perception, but gets reported like it's reality. I like the media less every day, it seems.

Didn't say that. It means they were last based on the heat results... where swimmers routinely take something off their performances to conserve for the final (and perhaps drive some of the lesser competition, who may be going all out in the heat, into the final). So, while it's not a rule that's set in stone, it is generally a rule of thumb with the idea that swimmers are marginally 'taking something off' by a similar %.

Phelps swam like ass in his heat, got relegated to 8, swam better in the final but not well enough. Did the lane have much to do with being (iirc) ~3 seconds behind Lochte in the 400IM? No. Phelps isn't at the peak he was in 2008. The commentators said he was basically dragging himself out of the pool. But then again, Phelps held his own in the relay last night and Lochte blew a full body-length lead to the French. So... [shrug].

That's my point. Phelps supporters and just general reporters were pointing to the lane as to why Phelps didn't medal and have the showdown with Lochte.

I can't believe that Lochte blew that lead. He said "This is my year!"

The swimmers in lane 1 and 8 get the short end of the stick regarding viewing where they are in relation to the other swimmers in the heat.

That seems like it would matter more in a heat like you said. Where you are keeping a little in the tank.....But, I would think in the final you're just going balls out?

At what point do people start questioning his work ethic and pot usage?

Really..questioning Micheal Phelps work ethic ??? Dude smoked a little weed right after winning 8 gold medals and 8 years of busting stones, most days doing doubles..and he is a pot head

Then, he has 4 more years to next Olympics, makes it back to the Olympics , after reaching the pinnacle of his sport, no small feet at age 27 , and he is not working hard enough!

Wow, tough crowd