"Cloud Atlas"

Juror#8

So in my quest to find movies a few months before they come out that appear interesting and worth shelling out the $30.00 or so to see (e.g. "Django Unchained," et al.), I've ran across this "Cloud Atlas" movie.

Frankly, it looks amazing: great cast, spectacular visuals, interesting story, novel concept, ambitious in scope, good writers, solid production team.

It seems to be generating a lot of the same buzz that "Inception" did a couple months before it was released.

I'm not sure if it will shift paradigms and attempt to reimagine traditional cinema like "Inception," but it sure looks like it's gonna be worth seeing on the big screen.

Anyone else intrigued?:

A bit but I'm not sure I'll be heading to the theaters for it. Seems like a movie that will need to be watched a couple of times to figure it out - especially since the Wachowski brothers are involved.

On an aside I think it's funny the trailer both before and after pushes the step up revolution trailer as epic :sick: I wonder how many times I would have to watch that one to figure it out :bag:

Ooooooooooooookkkkkkk.

That's interesting.

The three director thing is unique. Don't know how that will even operate as one coherent production but I'm anxious to see if it can.

The book is incredible. Honestly have no idea how it's going to become a coherent movie though.

What about it makes you feel that it will be difficult to translate into a movie?

I understand that there are like 5 separate generational stories happening simulataneously with each one affected the other. Is that why you feel that making a movie out of it will be complicated?

Edited by Juror#8

Exactly. The book jumps through time and folds back in on itself. Makes for an exciting read but i honestly cannot picture how the book's structure will translate to the screen. The book needs its volume to make sense (it's like like 500 pages or so) but a film script will top out at 150, and that's if its like a 3 hour movie. I really dont see how a theatrical film can go into enough detail to be satisfying. I plan on seeing it, but I'm definitely more curious than excited.

What about it makes you feel that it will be difficult to translate into a movie?

I understand that there are like 5 separate generational stories happening simulataneously with each one affected the other. Is that why you feel that making a movie out of it will be complicated?