Stopping TE's

Which makes it even more important for us to pressure with 3 or 4 players. 6 or 7 guys in pass coverage will help. Make the offense complete their plays this way and it is a lot more difficult.

Pass rush has always been the #1 key to any successful defense. No difference in this case.

In the case of defending against the Pats offense ..... they are banking on their 5 OL being able to protect against 4 DL which will leave them matching up their remaining 5 skill players (less Brady) against 7 defenders knowing that not many defense will be able to field 7 defenders who are good enough in coverage to single up on those 5 skill players the Pats trot out onto the field. Then it's up to Brady to find the mismatches and to exploit them as he is so great at doing.

You almost have to have a front like the Giants have with all of those DE's that they employ in their NASCAR package which causes so many protection issues for the Pats pass blocking schemes. But how many NFL defenses have a foursome of DE's that are scheme versatile like Tuck, JPP, Osi and Kiwanuka are for the Giants?

Pass rush has always been the #1 key to any successful defense. No difference in this case.

In the case of defending against the Pats offense ..... they are banking on their 5 OL being able to protect against 4 DL which will leave them matching up their remaining 5 skill players (less Brady) against 7 defenders knowing that not many defense will be able to field 7 defenders who are good enough in coverage to single up on those 5 skill players the Pats trot out onto the field. Then it's up to Brady to find the mismatches and to exploit them as he is so great at doing.

You almost have to have a front like the Giants have with all of those DE's that they employ in their NASCAR package which causes so many protection issues for the Pats pass blocking schemes. But how many NFL defenses have a foursome of DE's that are scheme versatile like Tuck, JPP, Osi and Kiwanuka are for the Giants?

At least one other team :thumbsup:

I like the concept but does anyone other than the Bills do that? I thought the concept was to flood the secondary with WR's and assume your 3rd through 5th option is better than their 3rd through 5th cover guy. Make the correct read at the LOS, get rid of the ball before the pass rush can get there. Im hoping the D-line can bring the pressure and allow them to drop 7.

That is the idea.....

In order to understand how it will be different this year you first have to understand how we did it last year....AND FAILED

- We were blitzing....a lot. You just never see it because the blitzer hardly ever got there.......

- When you blitz...you are giving something up in order to take a chance on making something big happen.....those 3rd down conversions you saw teams making on us over and over? That was gambles by the defense that didnt make it to the QB. A average college QB can make reads off that and throw the ball to the right spot.

- OR we were in a 4-3 alignment our down guys are not winning their up front battles you are FORCED to send extra people.....creating holes in the defense.

- If you dont send extra people the QB has too much time to throw and coverage can only stay on receiving targets for so long

BUT

If your down linemen are dominating the line of scrimmage.....there is often NO NEED to send extra guys or blitz....and the QB is either going to throw a ball to a bad spot to get intercepted, he is gonna throw it away, is gonna take a sack, or is going to scramble which in most cases is a BAD thing for a QB.

The QB needs time to throw...what do you do if your offensive linemen are getting manhandled? You keep in an extra guy....that is one less out in the pass pattern while your linebackers and secondary are flooding passing lanes......daring a QB to make a throw into an area while being engulfed by a DT combo that is destroying his passing pocket from the front and rush ends are coming at him off the edges.

I predict a lot of thrown away balls this year.....

I think the plan is to sack the QB before he can throw the ball. Repeat 100 times. Problem solved :thumbsup:

Yeah, I was gonna say that while it does look advantageous to have a TE's size and strength who can basically play at wideout... the answer to that is basically, Kill Tom Brady.

Yeah, I was gonna say that while it does look advantageous to have a TE's size and strength who can basically play at wideout... the answer to that is basically, Kill Tom Brady.

That answer has been the chosen one league wise going on over a decade now. The reality, however, is the Pats braintrust knows the answer too and have been highly effective countering it.

Since Lil' Donte no longer sleepwalks in our secondary, anything the teams does will be an improvement. Seriously though My bet will be a mix of Scott and Moats, and possibly Byrd cheating in towards the line of scrimmage on 2 tight end formations in what some teams call a "Press Nickle"

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned our rangy, tall, athletic safety, George Wilson.

His int against the Patriots in week 3 last year was textbook… trail coverage on Gronk and Brady couldn't get the ball over "The Senator."

If you are comfortable with the Pats' interior 3 containing Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus then so am I. :)

In theory (need to see it in games obviously), our D Line presents similar matchup problems to those described above about the Pats*' receivers/TE's, namely, who do you leave undoubled among Dareus, K Dub, M Dub and even Mark Anderson and Merriman should he return to form? You can only double up on one of them without keeping a TE or RB in to block, thereby taking someone out of the pattern, leaving 7 defenders on 4 receivers....

If you are comfortable with the Pats' interior 3 containing Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus then so am I. :)

Interior wise the Pats should be fine with 2 pro bowl OG's and a very good OC at the helm. If a chink in the armour is anywhere on the OL it may be outside at LT since Solder is inexperienced and unknown.

Interior wise the Pats should be fine with 2 pro bowl OG's and a very good OC at the helm. If a chink in the armour is anywhere on the OL it may be outside at LT since Solder is inexperienced and unknown.

Is Mankins healthy? Will he start the year? Is Waters coming back for sure? Last I heard he hadn't reported to camp (but that was last week)....

We'll see. To me that looks like advantage Buffalo, but then that's why they play the games.

One indirect way you stop TE's is forcing them to have to stay in and block......if the opposition has to "Max Protect" then the TE cant get out into the pass pattern

Agreed. With Our D-Line, that will make Teams Max Protect!

I don think their five OL can block our four DL. All four starters should be double teamed. That means three are single covered and they are going to wreak havoc. I see a jail break every snap. Your going down Brady!

if we solve this problem we will have years of domination in the AFC east. I think we will. Bradham will come out of nowhere on Gronkowski's slant and do a Moats on him while G wilson comes up from his over coverage in time to say i told you so.

Brady wont go down but his completion rating will drop his YAC will drop his nuts wil draw up. etc. His hair will grey and his hands will shake spilling soup. and he will never be the same as he was. bad things are coming Tommy Boy. Bad Things