Stopping TE's

As well all know the Bills have to play against some very good TE's this year(NYJ, NE, SF and others). Though I have no stats to back it up it seems over the decades the Bills have been historically bad at stopping TE's - often making journeymen look like All-Pro's. Does anyone know how Wanny's defense has fared over the years against elite TE's. What do you all think the game plan will be against these guys? Barnett in coverage? Scott? Wilson? Other than Barnett on the underneath routes, I can't think of another LB that can stay with any of the good TE's.

My guess is you'll see a mix of McGee at Nickle and Dime covering the smaller faster TEs and Scott and Williams covering the bigger more physical TEs. My guess would be moving Williams to TE from the starting CB spot during games like New England to cover Gronk and then McGee or McKelvin (whoever is healthy or looking better) would move to the 2nd CB along with Gilmore.

My guess is you'll see a mix of McGee at Nickle and Dime covering the smaller faster TEs and Scott and Williams covering the bigger more physical TEs. My guess would be moving Williams to TE from the starting CB spot during games like New England to cover Gronk and then McGee or McKelvin (whoever is healthy or looking better) would move to the 2nd CB along with Gilmore.

I like the idea of Williams against the TE's when split out and lined up as a WR. I also see McKelvin claiming that outside CB spot in the nickel and dime packages.

One indirect way you stop TE's is forcing them to have to stay in and block......if the opposition has to "Max Protect" then the TE cant get out into the pass pattern

I like the concept but does anyone other than the Bills do that? I thought the concept was to flood the secondary with WR's and assume your 3rd through 5th option is better than their 3rd through 5th cover guy. Make the correct read at the LOS, get rid of the ball before the pass rush can get there. Im hoping the D-line can bring the pressure and allow them to drop 7.

Since Lil' Donte no longer sleepwalks in our secondary, anything the teams does will be an improvement. Seriously though My bet will be a mix of Scott and Moats, and possibly Byrd cheating in towards the line of scrimmage on 2 tight end formations in what some teams call a "Press Nickle"

One indirect way you stop TE's is forcing them to have to stay in and block......if the opposition has to "Max Protect" then the TE cant get out into the pass pattern

Yes that and hopefully our pass rush wont give Brady more than 2 seconds to dump the ball off.

As well all know the Bills have to play against some very good TE's this year(NYJ, NE, SF and others). Though I have no stats to back it up it seems over the decades the Bills have been historically bad at stopping TE's - often making journeymen look like All-Pro's. Does anyone know how Wanny's defense has fared over the years against elite TE's. What do you all think the game plan will be against these guys? Barnett in coverage? Scott? Wilson? Other than Barnett on the underneath routes, I can't think of another LB that can stay with any of the good TE's.

This is the only way to stop Gronk and HairNanDez

Of course, if Gronk counters with "The Crane" - we're screwed.

Some of these guys you won't just stop- the key thing will be containment, especially on 3rds or in the redzone.

As john mentioned, big answers can be found with our d line, and I'll add having success dictating playcalling with down and distance (ie winning early downs), and tackling well. There's not a player that's going to hang with gronk for 60 mins but if you can disrupt him getting off the line, and get a rush to Brady's face quick... You can limit the damage.

Easiest way to do it in my opinion is have Bryan Scott or Moats or both cover the TEs. They shouldn't have to do much work because the TE's might have to chip or even stay in to block our front 4 or a blitzer.

So basically pressure will make everything easier for guys like Scott, Moats, or (possibly) Williams.

Boston media reports have said that Belicheat has been lining up Aaron Gonzalez at a wide out slot in practices at times. That would be quite a mismatch on most CBs.

By the end of the year the Pats were lining Hernandez up, in addition to TE, at FB, RB and as slot wideout quite a bit. Most defenses cheated and slide their coverages under and inside to counter since the didn't have to bother covering any of the Pats receivers deep. With Stallworth, and especially Lloyd now in tow, the Pats now have the horses to successfully counter so it probably makes Hernandez even more of the key chess piece component.

The specific problem with stopping Gronk and Hernandez is they both require double teams. Add Welker and now Lloyd and you are faced with having 4 receiving options who all could stand double coverage respect (unless you are Revis) meaning the defense simply runs out of defenders to adequately cover the Pats weapons on a consistent basis.

By the end of the year the Pats were lining Hernandez up, in addition to TE, at FB, RB and as slot wideout quite a bit. Most defenses cheated and slide their coverages under and inside to counter since the didn't have to bother covering any of the Pats receivers deep. With Stallworth, and especially Lloyd now in tow, the Pats now have the horses to successfully counter so it probably makes Hernandez even more of the key chess piece component.

The specific problem with stopping Gronk and Hernandez is they both require double teams. Add Welker and now Lloyd and you are faced with having 4 receiving options who all could stand double coverage respect (unless you are Revis) meaning the defense simply runs out of defenders to adequately cover the Pats weapons on a consistent basis.

Which makes it even more important for us to pressure with 3 or 4 players. 6 or 7 guys in pass coverage will help. Make the offense complete their plays this way and it is a lot more difficult.

That might work. Good suggestion

And that's why winning early downs (force longer conversions, and slower routes) coupled with a strong front 4 (can rush all out, while dropping 7 in coverage still) is really the key to minimizing the damage a guy like gronk causes. Add a chip at the line (slows our rush too but we have so many good rushers) and hope his big plays come between the 20s and on early downs generally and you tackle him immediately.

Edited by NoSaint

I think the plan is to sack the QB before he can throw the ball. Repeat 100 times. Problem solved :thumbsup: