My Observations from practice 7/28

5 Wide

Finally made it out to my first ever training camp practice and I must say, its hard to figure out what to pay attention to. On one side the WR and DB's are going at it, on the other side the d-line and o-line are thumping eachother, just a lot to watch for sure.

Without breaking down specific plays, here are my impressions on some players:

Kyle Williams - He looks 100% - He is quick off the ball, and is going full go in line drills and 11 on 11. He is like a bowling ball (or meatball) as my wife put it. Looks like last year really is behind him.

Dareus - absolute beast. In line drills and 11 on 11 - the middle of the oline was caving in. Forget about a qb stepping up, Dareus and Williams were just collapsing everying.

Mario - Big dude. He Doesn't look 300 lbs in person because there is no softness to him anywhere....which is all the more impressive to consider what an athlete is. He has all the moves you would want - quick speed move, spin move, saw him on a nice stunt, and one time he bull rushed Sam Young straight back.

Mark Anderson - Quick off the snap - looks like the kind of player we were hoping Maybin would be.

WR group in general - it certainly looks like Donald Jones is the top candidtate for the #2 spot. He looked good in practice, made a few nice grabs. After that, I didn't notice anyone really distinguishing themselves. Kamar Aiken had a few nice moments, as did Derek Hagan. Marcus Easley was practically invisible out there yesterday.

LT - the battle between Hairston and Glenn also looks pretty even at this point. Both are big dudes, and both had their share of issues with the D-line yesterday. They were rotating pretty evenly in drills and honestly, 77 and 75 look interchangeable at this point.

Vince Young also looks much better than Thigpen. From what I saw yesterday and from other reports, I hope Thigpen was good with the money he has made in the NFL up until now because it doesn't look like many more game checks are in his future. With that said, Fitz has nothing to worry about with VY challenging him whatsoever either. #14 is far and away the #1 QB on the roster.

If I had to bet who would be the first one cut this year, my money is on #68 G Keith Williams - maybe he just had a bad day or who knows, but he would have been better off just falling to the ground and hoping the D-line would trip over him. He was getting absolutely abused out there.

#54 Kyle Moore was getting a lot of Reps with guys who will make the team. He didn't look out of place, might be a guy to watch, the coaches seem to like him.

John Potter has a BIG leg. He and Lindell were booming some from 55 during practice, Lindell's would go over with a little to spare, Potters were bouncing in the VIP tent area behind the field.

DB's - Gilmore is legit. He has very good speed, and he has that style where he is just draped on the wideouts. None of that 10 yard cushion crap - either bump and run or very small cushion. he likes to get his hands on the WR's and dictate the play to them. He had a nice INT on a go route to I believe it was TJ Graham. He is a stud. I'm not as enamored with Aaron Williams as many people seem to be. He is pretty good, but to me, he looks like another Drayton Florence out there. Good enough, but nothing that looks to scare Qb's into leaving him alone.

Overall, the D-line just dominated everything. In 11 on 11, in unit drills, everything. Perhaps Eric Wood in the middle would have changed some of that, but there literally was just a wave of blue moving line backwards on almost every snap.

Overall it was a fun day, a nice experience, and a good excuse to go get a rack of ribs at the Dino BBQ!

Thanks, appreciate your perspective!

I wonder if this improved D-line will also lead to a better O-line? They will definietly be pushed more in practice than they have been in the past; hopefully that will lead to a better unit.

Thanks, appreciate your perspective!

I wonder if this improved D-line will also lead to a better O-line? They will definietly be pushed more in practice than they have been in the past; hopefully that will lead to a better unit.

I think that's probably what Gailey meant when he said that it was good for our football team.

Anyone NOT think Kelly had a good O-line in part because they were lining up across from Bruce Smith and Cornelius Bennett in practice?

Suprised to see the things you wrote about Vince Young. Seems like every other person reporting is saying the opposite.

1. which opposite? That Young doesn't look better than Thiggy, or that #14 is clearly looking like the best QB out there?

2. ??? Linky??

Reports I've read have said neither Thigpen or Young is looking too good out there, but have generally agreed that #14 looks like the best of the QB

Thanks for the report! Hoping for more out of Easley...

All the talk of how strong the D line looks has me wondering what training camp must have been like for teams like the '85 Bears. Think they just ate McMahon's lunch every day?

Suprised to see the things you wrote about Vince Young. Seems like every other person reporting is saying the opposite.

Its relative... compared to Fitz he looks mediocre. In the battle for the #2 spot, he is looking better than Thigpen. In 11 on 11, when it broke down, VY took off for 20 yards, an element Thigpen does not have.

Excellent contribution. Thanks for sharing. I found the WR battle (or lack thereof) very interesting. I wonder who has the leg up on that 4th wideout spot? Probably Hagan.

Finally made it out to my first ever training camp practice and I must say, its hard to figure out what to pay attention to. On one side the WR and DB's are going at it, on the other side the d-line and o-line are thumping eachother, just a lot to watch for sure.

Kyle Williams - He looks 100% - He is quick off the ball, and is going full go in line drills and 11 on 11. He is like a bowling ball (or meatball) as my wife put it. Looks like last year really is behind him.

Dareus - absolute beast. In line drills and 11 on 11 - the middle of the oline was caving in. Forget about a qb stepping up, Dareus and Williams were just collapsing everying.

Mario - Big dude. He Doesn't look 300 lbs in person because there is no softness to him anywhere....which is all the more impressive to consider what an athlete is. He has all the moves you would want - quick speed move, spin move, saw him on a nice stunt, and one time he bull rushed Sam Young straight back.

Mark Anderson - Quick off the snap - looks like the kind of player we were hoping Maybin would be.

WR group in general - it certainly looks like Donald Jones is the top candidtate for the #2 spot. He looked good in practice, made a few nice grabs. After that, I didn't notice anyone really distinguishing themselves. Kamar Aiken had a few nice moments, as did Derek Hagan. Marcus Easley was practically invisible out there yesterday.

LT - the battle between Hairston and Glenn also looks pretty even at this point. Both are big dudes, and both had their share of issues with the D-line yesterday. They were rotating pretty evenly in drills and honestly, 77 and 75 look interchangeable at this point.

Vince Young also looks much better than Thigpen. From what I saw yesterday and from other reports, I hope Thigpen was good with the money he has made in the NFL up until now because it doesn't look like many more game checks are in his future. With that said, Fitz has nothing to worry about with VY challenging him whatsoever either. #14 is far and away the #1 QB on the roster.

If I had to bet who would be the first one cut this year, my money is on #68 G Keith Williams - maybe he just had a bad day or who knows, but he would have been better off just falling to the ground and hoping the D-line would trip over him. He was getting absolutely abused out there.

#54 Kyle Moore was getting a lot of Reps with guys who will make the team. He didn't look out of place, might be a guy to watch, the coaches seem to like him.

John Potter has a BIG leg. He and Lindell were booming some from 55 during practice, Lindell's would go over with a little to spare, Potters were bouncing in the VIP tent area behind the field.

DB's - Gilmore is legit. He has very good speed, and he has that style where he is just draped on the wideouts. None of that 10 yard cushion crap - either bump and run or very small cushion. he likes to get his hands on the WR's and dictate the play to them. He had a nice INT on a go route to I believe it was TJ Graham. He is a stud. I'm not as enamored with Aaron Williams as many people seem to be. He is pretty good, but to me, he looks like another Drayton Florence out there. Good enough, but nothing that looks to scare Qb's into leaving him alone.

Overall, the D-line just dominated everything. In 11 on 11, in unit drills, everything. Perhaps Eric Wood in the middle would have changed some of that, but there literally was just a wave of blue moving line backwards on almost every snap.

Overall it was a fun day, a nice experience, and a good excuse to go get a rack of ribs at the Dino BBQ!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

These are the days when I wished I lived closer to Rochester/Buffalo!

Appreciate the write up and perspective.

Dino BBQ is good, but i prefer Sticky Lips! Just something to consider!

Thanks 5-dubs. I'm looking forward to my first ever report after I make my first trip to SJF for the evening practice on the 14th. Btw, guys, and please forgive my ignorance, what does the depth chart right now at center look like with Woody gone?

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: just saw it, brown, asper and snow.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

I especially apprecate the insight on Glenn and Hairston

Hairston came into camp in the best shape of his life.....and I said right from last year that if Hairston showed up in shape he was going to be a very good linemen.....

Either Hairston or Glenn is gonna end up at RT....Pears is already dinged and you put your best 5 out there