Romney opens 5 point lead over Obama

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take it for what's it's worth - talked to my brother who is a speechwriter, has NO access to internal polls, but is fairly close to a yound lady who interprets some data from the internals and...

APPARENTLY absent something happening completely outside of their control, the WH sees it as almost a done deal and are VERY optimistic. They've transitioned to turnout (though they don't want that advertised) while Romney is still focusing on strategy and electoral vote mapping.

The only way they feel that they can lose is if they have a turnout take of greater than 10% of projection.

Also, they're trying to minimize info coming out about trends and moving ahead in the polls. As I understand it, some of the top strategy folks feel that 6 weeks of the electorate hearing that the incumbent is surging ahead will actually make their folks complacent and suppress turnout. They're frustrated with the "Romney self-destructing" commentary. They would rather him continue being undisciplined and allow the electorate to react naturally without the punditry that can cause unpredictable voter behavior.

Apparently, Axelrod is convinced that that's what happened in 04 to Kerry. None of the top folks will talk polls and they're telling their surrogates not to either.

Again, take it for what it's worth and I won't be offended by the "mother's, brother's, parrot's, second cousin's..." posts. I mentioned that my information was two steps (maybe even three steps) removed from the actual source. If that is not good enough for you, than ok. But I'll pass it along anyway.

Their strategy seems sound but I think that there is still trending left to be done. Romney can find a rhythm and jump ahead in this race still. WH doesn't seem to think so though.

I'm thinking that that is hubris but what's new...

As I said previously, I have no dog in this race, I'm just conveying a little info.

Oh yea...and he reiterated to me that Romney was best case scenario as a challenger.

As I mentioned a year ago, the WH was convinced that he was unrelatable and that there were enough narratives from Romney's history to maintain that disconnect. My brother once described the opp research that they had on Romney, and the number of directions they could take to box him in a philosophical corner as "voluminous."

As I told Magox, according to what I was hearing, the WH was never worried about Romney - they were only concerned about a GOP move towards Huntsman or Jeb Bush or someone who could capture lightning in a bottle, like Paul Ryan, coming out of nowhere. They never felt that Romney would be able to connect with enough voters to make a difference.

Who knows? We'll see if they're wrong.

I'm not surprised the WH thinks they have it wrapped up. They have such a disconnect with reality that they probably think they can fly. We'll see where we are after the debates, and then, on November 6th.

They sure have short memories. They seem to have forgotten 2010.

They sure have short memories. They seem to have forgotten 2010.

Not sure 2010 is a good example. 3 months before that midterm, it wasn't a matter of "if," it was a matter of "when" the Dems lose 5+ seats in the Senate and 35+ seats in the House.

Not sure 2010 is a good example. 3 months before that midterm, it wasn't a matter of "if," it was a matter of "when" the Dems lose 5+ seats in the Senate and 35+ seats in the House.

Not to the dem leaders......................and thats the point.

They were still saying that their polling had them in good shape right up til November

I do not believe everyone in the media was saying that "when/if" scenario that youseem to recall.

They were still saying that their polling had them in good shape right up til November

I do not believe everyone in the media was saying that "when/if" scenario that youseem to recall.

Well they also recall the GOP obstruction of the admin, but forget they had it all for two years and all they have to show for it is the ACA (which is anything but affordable).

I do. I still remember a Hardball segment with Chris Matthews, Ezra Klein and Chris Cilizza. Those were Chris Matthews' exact words.

Oh yea...and he reiterated to me that Romney was best case scenario as a challenger.

As I mentioned a year ago, the WH was convinced that he was unrelatable and that there were enough narratives from Romney's history to maintain that disconnect. My brother once described the opp research that they had on Romney, and the number of directions they could take to box him in a philosophical corner as "voluminous."

As I told Magox, according to what I was hearing, the WH was never worried about Romney - they were only concerned about a GOP move towards Huntsman or Jeb Bush or someone who could capture lightning in a bottle, like Paul Ryan, coming out of nowhere. They never felt that Romney would be able to connect with enough voters to make a difference.

Who knows? We'll see if they're wrong.

I'm still waiting for all of Romney's skeletons to come out of the closet. You know, the ones you claimed some time ago? What's next, Harry Reid claiming that Romney was once married to 7 woman at the same time. I can hear it now, "I call on Mitt Romney to prove that he wasn't married to 7 underage girls while he was on his mission to France. If he can't show proof then it is obvious he isn't fit to be president. Furthermore if he can't show all of the divorce papers it is obvious that his marriage to Ann is illegal and he has committed a felony"

Gallup polling since the "media declared" 47% gaffe;

Also, this is registered voters. Likely voters probably favors Romney.

http://www.gallup.co...ama-Romney.aspx

You remind me of me circa 2007-2010, twice a year trying tirelessly to convince myself and others that the Bills had a shot at beating the Patriots*.