The Olympics Thread | London 2012

UConn James

Four weeks after getting bounced by Federer in the Wimbeldon final, Murray trounces King Roger in straight sets: 6-2 6-1 6-4.

Link

Wow.

If it were up to you, which would you rather have? A Wimbeldon title or an Olympic gold? (Disregarding the money... or then again, what the hell, if it's because the money, say so.)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Four weeks after getting bounced by Federer in the Wimbeldon final, Murray trounces King Roger in straight sets: 6-2 6-1 6-4.

Link

Wow.

If it were up to you, which would you rather have? A Wimbeldon title or an Olympic gold? (Disregarding the money... or then again, what the hell, if it's because the money, say so.)

Olympic gold no question. They happen only every four years and you're representing your country.

Olympic gold no question. They happen only every four years and you're representing your country.

I'm such a sap. I watched the match and got goosebumps when he went into the stands after the win to thank his entourage.

Course I also got goosebumps watching replays of Olga Korbut.

Nothing sappy about that!

I'm such a sap. I watched the match and got goosebumps when he went into the stands after the win to thank his entourage.

Course I also got goosebumps watching replays of Olga Korbut.

And especially IN your country... plus its his first 'grand

slam' win...

Nothing sappy about that!

Well, I was also misty eyed.

Serious question for everyone: Why are there no black basketball players on either the Chinese men's or women's teams? Does the IOC need to look into whether they are excluded based on race?

Are there black Chinese or Japanese nationals? I think a bigger question is why are there so many dudes on the Chinese women's team???

Well, I was also misty eyed.

Serious question for everyone: Why are there no black basketball players on either the Chinese men's or women's teams? Does the IOC need to look into whether they are excluded based on race?

i heard last night that oscar pitorius, the south african runner with the prosthtetics is going from the london games to the paralympic games....i am ok with him running in the london games, but i feel that once he gets the all clear to compete in those games, he should not be allowed to compete in the paralympics games anymore....one or the other...

i heard last night that oscar pitorius, the south african runner with the prosthtetics is going from the london games to the paralympic games....i am ok with him running in the london games, but i feel that once he gets the all clear to compete in those games, he should not be allowed to compete in the paralympics games anymore....one or the other...

Why? It's not like he magically grew legs for the Olympics.

Link

Wow.

Until the top players began competing in the Olympics, it would have been Wimbledon. Nowadays, though, all of the top guys are there. Only Nadal didn't play in this one because of bad knees.

So I'd say Olympic Gold.

Who hasn't?

Pssst... Poojer... the Paralympic Games are in London.

But I do agree somewhat with what you are saying. He needs to decide, Olympics or Paralympics. What next, he tries out for the Special Olympics?

If those are the rules then good job by Wambach...its the same as a football player telling the ref he's being held...

Details of how Abby Wambach got the referee to call delay of game on the Canadian goalkeeper: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--abby-wambach-s-brains-proved-to-be-big-assist-to-u-s--women-s-soccer-s-comeback-against-canada.html

While refereeing HS matches, I have given goalies a warning about holding the ball too long.

Generally after the warning, they will be quicker with the release.

Another stalling tactic can be done with throw-ins.

While refereeing HS matches, I have given goalies a warning about holding the ball too long.

Generally after the warning, they will be quicker with the release.

Another stalling tactic can be done with throw-ins.

I think we saw a delay of game penalty on a throw-in during Euro this year.

Of course Abby would never in a million years stoop to speeding up her counting to exaggerate the apparent length of time the goalie held the ball...

How do you speed up counting after doing it 6 or 7 times before? The ref can hear the cadence. Only thing I can think of is starting too early, like the Canadian keeper said, not starting the count until she sets... But that is such a gray area anyway. 6 seconds is 6 seconds... How the heck can they routinely give 15?

Anway... Kinda odd, it is soccer... Weak teams that are grossly overmatched can grind an already boring and slow game to a complete crawl... Then the clock melts away. Seems so crooked, you think everybody in the stadium should see the refs official time! I got no problem if the ref will give those extra seconds to the keeper... But tack them on to the end where the game is being played. What goes around should come around.

How do you speed up counting after doing it 6 or 7 times before? The ref can hear the cadence. Only thing I can think of is starting too early, like the Canadian keeper said, not starting the count until she sets... But that is such a gray area anyway. 6 seconds is 6 seconds... How the heck can they routinely give 15?

Anway... Kinda odd, it is soccer... Weak teams that are grossly overmatched can grind an already boring and slow game to a complete crawl... Then the clock melts away. Seems so crooked, you think everybody in the stadium should see the refs official time! I got no problem if the ref will give those extra seconds to the keeper... But tack them on to the end where the game is being played. What goes around should come around.

Starting early plus consistently counting fast from the very first time might gain an advantage. The penalty sequence that ensued seemed out of proportion to the offense, especially considering how inconsistently the rule is applied.

I agree that the whole "the game ends when the ref feels like it" aspect of soccer is pretty goofy.

Gold medal game today in women’s soccer. USA vs. Japan. Should be a great game. It’s a rematch of the World Cup final from last year where Japan won in a thriller. 2:30pm ET today. I'm dvr-ing to watch tonight.

I’ve been watching USA’s run. I’m hugely impressed with the talent of a few of the players: Megan Rapinoe, Abby Waumbach and Alex Morgan. The USMNT should watch and learn how to build an offensive attack and finish in front of the goal.