Foreign policy?

First and foremost yes, it's the economy stupid. I do get that.

But I've heard a lot of countless Romney surrogates basically answer questions about Romney's questionable foreign policy rhetoric by saying "Americans don't care about that" or "Americans aren't thinking about" and they're only thinking about their jobs.

My one problem with this is that...I do care about that. And I'm an American. And I'm not here to bash Bush for a war I supported when he started it...but Iraq was a **** show. And while the housing bubble and investment bankers are probably to blame most...Bush wars all over are probably next on the list.

That said...Romney/Romney Co. seems to go around blasting Obama on foreign policy while spouting nonsensical rhetoric himself/themself. And if you ever get any specifics out of him/them then...they end up sounding as though they are still saying nothing or they are at best Obama's advisers and they hate themselves (in that on rare occasion he they talk sense and it's the same)

I mean...I know what a campaign is. I know it's not that specific. But aside from closing guantanamo...which by any neutral analysis proved to be politically impossible...Obama ran on ending Iraq, increasing Afghanistan, and killing Osama. Well...check...check...check...

I know Romney was head boss man at Bain but the President doesn't exactly reign over the global or even national economy like Romney did at Bain in terms of control and the objectives are not purely profit but people. One thing the President does reign supreme over is foreign policy. So when I hear people from that camp saying that Americans don't care about foreign policy I wonder if they 1) recall the last decade 2) look at the world today 3) consider me American or 4) understand what the President is.

I know this takes and anti-Romney slant...but it is sort of a legitimate complaint IMO about some of the stuff coming out of that campaign movement. This stuff matters and this stuff is the #1 thing the President does unilaterally. It's first on his job description. And the fact that I'm not sold and almost anything he's serving up is concerning to me...and I think if you are asking me to vote you commander in chief id deserves more than a "nobody cares about that shut up."

Agree? Disagree? I'm a liberal douche?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First and foremost yes, it's the economy stupid. I do get that.

But I've heard a lot of countless Romney surrogates basically answer questions about Romney's questionable foreign policy rhetoric by saying "Americans don't care about that" or "Americans aren't thinking about" and they're only thinking about their jobs.

My one problem with this is that...I do care about that. And I'm an American. And I'm not here to bash Bush for a war I supported when he started it...but Iraq was a **** show. And while the housing bubble and investment bankers are probably to blame most...Bush wars all over are probably next on the list.

That said...Romney/Romney Co. seems to go around blasting Obama on foreign policy while spouting nonsensical rhetoric himself/themself. And if you ever get any specifics out of him/them then...they end up sounding as though they are still saying nothing or they are at best Obama's advisers and they hate themselves (in that on rare occasion he they talk sense and it's the same)

I mean...I know what a campaign is. I know it's not that specific. But aside from closing guantanamo...which by any neutral analysis proved to be politically impossible...Obama ran on ending Iraq, increasing Afghanistan, and killing Osama. Well...check...check...check...

I know Romney was head boss man at Bain but the President doesn't exactly reign over the global or even national economy like Romney did at Bain in terms of control and the objectives are not purely profit but people. One thing the President does reign supreme over is foreign policy. So when I hear people from that camp saying that Americans don't care about foreign policy I wonder if they 1) recall the last decade 2) look at the world today 3) consider me American or 4) understand what the President is.

I know this takes and anti-Romney slant...but it is sort of a legitimate complaint IMO about some of the stuff coming out of that campaign movement. This stuff matters and this stuff is the #1 thing the President does unilaterally. It's first on his job description. And the fact that I'm not sold and almost anything he's serving up is concerning to me...and I think if you are asking me to vote you commander in chief id deserves more than a "nobody cares about that shut up."

Agree? Disagree? I'm a liberal douche?

The problem is that the Republican foreign policy and Democratic foreign policy are so close you'd have a hard time getting a razor blade between them- now if Ron Paul or Rocky Anderson or some other 3rd party candidate had a snowball's chance in hell well maybe then It'd be an important topic.

The problem is that the Republican foreign policy and Democratic foreign policy are so close you'd have a hard time getting a razor blade between them- now if Ron Paul or Rocky Anderson or some other 3rd party candidate had a snowball's chance in hell well maybe then It'd be an important topic.

And I do get that. As a nation...as nation states all around the world...there are people from our country and all others who have been studying and negotiating this stuff for decades. And while there is sometimes and opportunity to shift directions...there is rarely an opportunity to reverse course. So...even given the election...why oh why do the things that come out of Romney's mouth kiss the ass of xenophobic ignorant America? Are we to believe this is what he thinks? Are we thinking Americans supposed to say "I get it, he needs the redneck vote. It's ok I won't hold him to it." It DOES hurt America either way. It really does IMO. We need people running for POTUS to speak intelligently to the people on this stuff.

I don't dislike McCain. Hell I almost voted for him. But honestly...his Syria speak is just cringe worthy. And the idea of "American exceptionalism" is something all Americans...Democrats and Republicans alike agree with in terms of us being special in various ways....but that term is actually a foreign policy doctrine which a lot of AMericans DO NOT LIKE and that doesn't make us less-American.

The world is pretty crazy right now. And when people ask Romney and his campaign to get into it...telling us "People don't care about that it's about their money" isn't the answer a person trying to be Commander in Chief should give. And if you can't give specifics without basically saying "Obama hasn't been that bad" then SO WHAT. SAY THAT. You will actually GET VOTES that way believe it or not. your base isn't going to run you might just educate them a bit.

Edited by TheNewBills

To be perfectly honest, I haven't followed most of the major foreign policy issues for the last 2 years to give too strong an opinion one way or the other. I wasn't too happy about his blame America apology tour, but I kind of checked out after that. As far as Iraq, however, it takes a lot of balls for Obama to absolve himself of the economy on his inheritance theory and then in the next breath take credit for Iraq after he opposed the surge that made it possible. That's all.

To be perfectly honest, I haven't followed most of the major foreign policy issues for the last 2 years to give too strong an opinion one way or the other. I wasn't too happy about his blame America apology tour, but I kind of checked out after that. As far as Iraq, however, it takes a lot of balls for Obama to absolve himself of the economy on his inheritance theory and then in the next breath take credit for Iraq after he opposed the surge that made it possible. That's all.

Fair enough, not everybody has to care. IMO most should and when it comes to the POTUS this is basically the threshold qualification. If you haven't paid too much attention the last 2 years...you have some reading to do. :)

Most people supported the war. I did. A lot of people opposed the surge. I actually didn't. But it doesn't matter. The apology tour is BS you listen to Rush and Hannity too much if you buy into that but I'm not going to change your mind so we need not get into that.

Point is...the things that come out of Romney's mouth on the rare occasion he has to talk about foreign policy (basically debates only and on occasion campaign speeches to a bunch of people who clap at anything) suck...and when anyone asks anyone from his campaign to elaborate they pivot to the economy. It's not as though asking isn't justified. It's not as though this is your taxes ... this is the primary thing you are trying to get our vote for. This is the Presidency more than any other thing.

Edited by TheNewBills

Fair enough, not everybody has to care. IMO most should and when it comes to the POTUS this is basically the threshold qualification. If you haven't paid too much attention the last 2 years...you have some reading to do. :)

Most people supported the war. I did. A lot of people opposed the surge. I actually didn't. But it doesn't matter. The apology tour is BS you listen to Rush and Hannity too much if you buy into that but I'm not going to change your mind so we need not get into that.

Point is...the things that come out of Romney's mouth on the rare occasion he has to talk about foreign policy (basically debates only and on occasion campaign speeches to a bunch of people who clap at anything) suck...and when anyone asks anyone from his campaign to elaborate they pivot to the economy. It's not as though asking isn't justified. It's not as though this is your taxes ... this is the primary thing you are trying to get our vote for. This is the Presidency more than any other thing.

Cofer Black, John Bolton and the other Neo-cons Romney has surrounded himself is a little scary but unfortunately Obama and Clinton are not much better.

Cofer Black, John Bolton and the other Neo-cons Romney has surrounded himself is a little scary but unfortunately Obama and Clinton are not much better.

Why do you disprove specifically? Romney is running a campaign to be POTUS and he basically hasn't articulated a response to that I consider legitimate. That's concerns me. What would you have him say to win your vote?

Edited by TheNewBills

I didn't say I didn't care, I just haven't been following as closely of late. I'm genuinely scared of what's going to happen domestically. I know a lot of you guys believe the kind of government intervention into the economy Obama believes in will bolster the middle class at the expense of the rich, & I'd be fine with that, but I'm afraid the exact opposite is true if we go down that path. So while I do care about the situations in Iran, Afghanistan, Syria, etc., I just don't think any of it matters that much if our economy collapses around us. What I've watched internationally are the canaries in the mine like Greece and I'm trying really hard to understand why so many fail to realize we're walking deeper into that same mine.

Edited by Rob's House

It will be on Morgan tonight. As to where it took place...don't be a fool.

Don't be an ass. Romney stated earlier that he wouldn't comment on foreign policy on foreign soil. After all, he's not the president and isn't going to try to shape policy before he's the president. He's actually being respectful of the president. So, if the interview was overseas then it makes a difference in this conversation, right?

Don't be an ass. Romney stated earlier that he wouldn't comment on foreign policy on foreign soil. After all, he's not the president and isn't going to try to shape policy before he's the president. He's actually being respectful of the president. So, if the interview was overseas then it makes a difference in this conversation, right?

Foriegn soil doesn't matter there's a little thing called the internet. He's speaking to Pierce Morgan. And he doesn't comment on foreign policy period b/c Americans don't care about that.

I guess he wouldn't even talk about foreign policy at all in the interview he did w/ Pierce Morgan that will air tonight.

I believe Romney said that as a courtesy to the office of the presidency, he would not go on the record openly opposing specific U.S. foreign policy while on foreign soil. It gives an unsteady and divided view of America and its interests when it's perhaps more important than ever for us to at least appear that we have a steady leadership.

What Romney is doing is more back channel work and introduction, trying to highlight ties to historically-strong-allied nations that the Obama White House has pretty much snubbed in both symbolic and literal ways.

Foriegn soil doesn't matter there's a little thing called the internet. He's speaking to Pierce Morgan. And he doesn't comment on foreign policy period b/c Americans don't care about that.

You and I don't normally agree, but for the most part we can at least discuss. Romney said he wouldn't talk foreign policy while on this trip. It was out of respect for our country and Obama, as president. You are making Romney's America first policy political. Maybe you should rethink your priorities?

Not an auspicious start for the Mitt-ster:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0712/79035.html

Or how about my favorite:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0712/79036.html

Wow--not exactly looking like Presidential timber so far....

PS All of you "leak" fans must love that MI6 one!

I'll bite. The presumptive GOP candidate meeting with British intelligence is a scandal how?

Edited by GG

Not an auspicious start for the Mitt-ster:

http://www.politico....0712/79035.html

Or how about my favorite:

http://www.politico....0712/79036.html

Wow--not exactly looking like Presidential timber so far....

PS All of you "leak" fans must love that MI6 one!

The Guardian is a leftist rag and is also the same newspaper that "leaked" the anglo saxon story.

You're so !@#$ing transparent it's laughable.