You know what I miss?

boyst

Going and sitting on the front porch with my grandpa and watching a car pass by every 20 or so minutes. We'd sit there some times from 7ish until near about dark, not talk much, maybe read the paper a little.

Just seems like everything was less important when you got a chance to do this. I have no particular reason to share this, I just am sharing it.

When I was little my folks and I would visit my maternal grandparents a couple times a year. My grandfather still had his work/army internal clock going, so he'd be up at 5:30am every day. I was a kid, so I'd be up at 6 or so. We'd sit at their kitchen table with our OJ/coffee (OJ for me, coffee for him) and some chocolate chip cookies and play cards until everyone else got up. I miss that quite a bit.

Going and sitting on the front porch with my grandpa and watching a car pass by every 20 or so minutes. We'd sit there some times from 7ish until near about dark, not talk much, maybe read the paper a little.

I miss that too.

That was the only time I had to sneak into the hay loft with your girl for a little wink-wink-nudge-nudge.

A million years ago, my grandpa would give me a sip of his beer, a puff of his cigar and call me his kitten. Sigh. :cry:

So'd mine.

Then he'd put me in a bag and throw me in the river.

Good times...

Just seems like everything was less important when you got a chance to do this. I have no particular reason to share this, I just am sharing it.

Note I got from jboyst62's Grandpa- "concerned about my Grandson. Seems content to sit on the porch and watch the car's go by. When I was his age full of fire and vinegar, always on the go. What could be wrong?"

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

Note I got from jboyst62's Grandpa- "concerned about my Grandson. Seems content to sit on the porch and watch the car's go by. When I was his age full of fire and vinegar, always on the go. What could be wrong?"

Some times you just have to stop and smell the roses.

I miss that too.

That was the only time I had to sneak into the hay loft with your girl for a little wink-wink-nudge-nudge.

I was 15 then. If I did have a girlfriend...well, have a seat.

:thumbsup: I miss that too...used to hang out on my best friends porch all night, during the summer...it seemed like summer break from school was endless...

Don't know about all this kitty stuff. But what I miss from being a kid is sleeping on a day bed on my parents front screened porch and listening to thunder storms. Seeing the lightening and counting how many seconds to hearing thunder.

One evening a huge electrical tower by Queen st. in Fort Erie that ran across to Buffalo was hit by lightening and the sparks and light lit up the sky for about 30 seconds. Must have been around the year 1965. Good times and good memories.

I still to this day love watching lightening and thunder storms, I sleep like a baby.

Don't know about all this kitty stuff. But what I miss from being a kid is sleeping on a day bed on my parents front screened porch and listening to thunder storms. Seeing the lightening and counting how many seconds to hearing thunder.

One evening a huge electrical tower by Queen st. in Fort Erie that ran across to Buffalo was hit by lightening and the sparks and light lit up the sky for about 30 seconds. Must have been around the year 1965. Good times and good memories.

I still to this day love watching lightening and thunder storms, I sleep like a baby.

We have a cottage in Ridgeway and we could hear the thunderstorms as they would approach, loved watching the light flash and the rumble of the thunder. For some reason always felt safe there. When we got older we were allowed to go down to the beach and watch the storms on the horizon and the waves kick up.

Consider yourselves fortunate, I never knew either of my grandfathers.

Serious post time...

When I was in college, was talking with a friend about God-knows-what, and mentioned that I knew not just all of my grandparents, but three of my great-grandparents. Her response: "My grandparents died in Auschwitz." (Hungarian Jew, her grandparents were some of the 800k or so "evacuated" and gassed in 1944).

Those five words taught a lot about appreciating the people in my life.

Consider yourselves fortunate, I never knew either of my grandfathers.

Nor did I really. They all died when I was in my teens,lived far away and all I got was rare vist's. Ah to talk with Great Grandpa Nelson! Danish immigrant homesteaded in the then Dakota Territory's [Now black hills in South Dakota] Started a lumber mill[i have old B&W pictures showing a mountain of huge logs all hauled by horse] What stories he could tell to his Great Grandson.

Would spend all summer at the grandparents till I was about 8. Would always sit on the front pourch. I can remember when the2 old ladies across the street would sit on there front pourch with binoculars and watch my grand parents TV that they had in the livingroom. How about the phone? Party line.

I grew up in the house my grand parents owned so my aunts and uncles grew up there too. In one of the closets we'd have our tick marks with our names and ages noting how tall we were. On the opposite wall were my aunts and uncles. My grandparents (maternal) built a house right behind our house when my parents bought it from them in the 50's. My brother now owns the house and my mom still lives there. So I have very fond memories of my grandparents and also got to spend lots of time with my great grandmother.

I grew up in the house my grand parents owned so my aunts and uncles grew up there too. In one of the closets we'd have our tick marks with our names and ages noting how tall we were. On the opposite wall were my aunts and uncles. My grandparents (maternal) built a house right behind our house when my parents bought it from them in the 50's. My brother now owns the house and my mom still lives there. So I have very fond memories of my grandparents and also got to spend lots of time with my great grandmother.

Lucky you! You should should feel proud about that.